Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Weekly Post 17-Sep to 23-Sep-2018

Monday:  0 run, 1.2 swim
AM:  Mondays are typically my run day off, but as you may have "heard" (read) me espouse in recent blog posts, I am going to try to keep up cross training.  Went to Watchaug Pond with the intent of getting 1/2+ mile in, but the pond was totally ensconced in a blanket of fog.  There was absolutely nothing to sight as a marker, so I figured I would just swim close to shore.  But when I could no longer see the shoreline, I wasn't very comfortable.  The last straw was when I heard the motor of a nearby boat but could not see it.  He was going slowly (probably because he couldn't see either), which meant since I can't see him, he can't see me either.

PM:  Not wanting to be cheated out of a swim, I went back late afternoon to a beautiful sunny day with several youngsters frolicking in the water at the beach.  Felt really good swimming and after my standard 1/4 mile swim out to the buoy westbound, I made a wider return out past Camp Watchaug and back.  I got back to the beach at 0.89 miles on my watch, so just like the geek I am with running, I "had" to continue a short OAB to get to a full mile.
Sometimes you see European plates on the front of a vehicle driving around
here and then the true US state plate on the rear.
But when I saw this camper parked at Burlingame picnic area with foreign
plates on both front and rear of vehicle, plus parties speaking a foreign
language, I knew this was the real deal.
---
Of course, the "E" on the left with the European Union circle of stars above it
designates this license plate as from Spain (E short for Espana).  Had a short, but
pleasant conversation with the people getting out of the camper and setting up
charcoal for cooking.  They confirmed they were from Spain, and had
brought their vehicle over for an extended US driving and camping adventure.  Very cool!

Tuesday:  5
Was supposed to be heavy rain this afternoon, which is fun for me to run in.  (Not in January, mind you, but a 73 degree late summer day, bring it on.)  Parked in Watch Hill.  Despite a "Flash Flood" alert on my phone, it was barely raining and slowing down at that.  Ran local roads and called it a day.

Wednesday:  11
AM:  5 miles.  Workout on Pound Road.  Not sure what exactly possessed me to run on Pound Road.  Was headed to Bradford Preserve with an idea of a grass workout, and on the way realized with all the dew that it would be a very wet run and probably conducive to a workout.  Anyway, parked at the end of the pavement next to Crandall Family Swamp and ran the following:
2 x 800 (2:59, 3:03), 4 x 400 (96, 88, 96, 88), 4 x 200 (43, 45, 49, 41). 

The warm-up and cool-down were both VERY interesting to me.  Long before I moved to Westerly, Pound Road used to be a through road, but it was blocked off in 1991 by irate residents who believed the town was harassing them by trying to collect overdue taxes.
Pound Road, Westerly.  Area in red circle closed off in 1991, and subsequently overgrown.















Fascinating article I found with some online research:
New London Day, July 28, 1991

While I never knew the woman, she was purported to frequently wield
a shotgun when any visitors approached.
Fast forward 27 years to the the present:
With Arlene Crandall long dead and her husband Irving having passed away
3 years ago, the Narragansett Indian Tribe is really improving the property,
including opening back up Pound Road as a trail (cleared trail on
left of pic leading to Westerly Land Trust viewing platform),
and establishing the Crandall "Minacommuck" Farm on the old homestead,
including greenhouses with a Narragansett Food Sovereignty Initiative.  Fascinating.
PM:  6 miles.  WHS XC meet #2.  Setup, course marking, and break-down.

Thursday:  0

Friday:  5 run, 3 walk
Ran from Burlingame picnic area through Kimball and NST over bog bridges, back on VG.  Trying to get a feel for what might make a good 4-mile "half runaround" race that the club will introduce this November in order to try to broaden the appeal of Li'l Rhody.  Dip in the pond post-run.

From there, volunteered at a company "Care Day" to clean up Napatree.  There are many volunteer opportunities at the bank, volunteerism is strongly encouraged, and I probably don't do enough it.  It was a beautiful day on the beach cleaning up with colleagues.  The beach was quite clean, but we did pick up and inventory trash, mostly cigarette butts and plastic bags.

Saturday:  10
Ocean State XC.  Write-up to follow.

Sunday:  8
Fun Woody Hill run with Chris, Tommy, and Matthew.  Mostly single-track with a sprinkling of double-track.  Got some decent hills in as well, for 800+ of elevation gain.

Weekly mileage:  39

Weekly synopsis:  Had intended to get over 40, but close enough for government work.  Trying to take a slow and cautious approach to mileage build-up.

Weekly highlight:  The entire running event and day at Ocean State XC, with a close second to the Woody group run.

Weekly lowlight:  Not getting in a long run this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment