Sunday, December 2, 2018

Weekly Log 26-Nov to 2-Dec: Continuing the Higher Mileage Weeks

Monday:  0 run, 750 yards swim
Core workout in morning, swim at lunch.  This seems to be my new Monday routine.
I can tell the swimming is getting more comfortable for me, as I zoned out on the swim today and lost total track of laps.  Fortunately, my Fenix 2 records laps, swim speed, distance, strokes taken, etc.

Tuesday:  11
AM:  5 miles.  Spastic run on local roads.  Just never got into that rhythm that I like.
PM:  6 miles.  Doubled down with a much better run than the morning.  From YMCA at lunch break, out to Springbrook, and back via the North End.  Didn't really have anything planned out, but felt great and ran very fast (for me) with an average 6:15 pace.

Wednesday:  7
Calves felt very tight last night and this morning; almost certainly DOMS from yesterday's fast run.  Fortunately, by late afternoon, they felt fine.  Took an easy recovery in Ninigret on a mix of dirt trails and grass fields, finishing in the dark.

Mid-run, I ran into John Varadian (RD of "Trust Me, You'll Love It" trail race) and his wife.  We had a good catch-up on Li'l Rhody and his recent running in London, as well as the return of his race next year.

Unfortunately, the Ninigret trails in the federal section are due to be shut down for 17 days from December 1 to 17 to allow for a junior hunting period.  So let me get this right:  I can at no time of the year legally "jog" on the trails there because it might disturb the wildlife; however, at least for the upcoming period, hunters can go in there with shotguns, followed by a six-week hunting period for archers.  Now do either of those activities disturb any wildlife?

Thursday:  11
AM:  6 miles on the hospital loop.  35 degrees and sunny.
PM:  5 miles at Rivendell (a/k/a Riverwood).  This place needs some loving.  Interior trails really overgrown.  I hadn't been here in a long time, and this place doesn't get enough traffic on its own to keep the trails clear.  The orange exterior trail is fine (other than currently flooded near the Pawcatuck River), but the interior blue and yellow trails are just overgrown with briars.

Friday:  6
Evening run with Eric prior to a Clamshell meeting at sponsor Dave's Coffee.  Started in fading daylight, but brought my headlamp, so I was fine (as reportedly was Eric following my lead).  Ran a few campground trails in snow flurries.

Saturday:  15
Trail run in different systems (Yawgoog, Audubon Society, Hoxie Preserve, Canonchet Brook Preserve, etc) with a modicum of roads to connect them.  Parked at Camp Yawgoog Road, Boden Parking Lot, to start my trek, and get much of the roads out of the way early.  28 degrees at start, but sunny.  Brought my phone in a back pocket, in case I got lost or needed reference, and got a few good pics as well as a consequence.
Started off technical right away,
on the Narragansett Trail southbound
Canonchet Brook flowing very strong after all the recent rains
Canonchet Trail hard to follow in places like this
On to the Yawgoog yellow trail,
with some fun and dicey water crossings
Yawgoog orange trail.  I very seldom frequent this one,
but the boardwalk is kind of neat.
Finishing up my run at Wincheck Pond

Sunday:  8
Steady soaking rain.  Ran in Champlin Glacier Preserve, and then ran in Winnapaug Farm Preserve for the first time ever.  Couldn't see over a high stone wall, heard a lot of bird sounds, and then as I came around the bend, startled what must have been 200+ Canadian geese into flight.  Actually saw one other person out on the trails in the rain:  an older gentleman walking his Husky.  Reminded me of Natasha and King, my parents' huskies.  Finished out the run along the beach with pounding surf, and got soaked by a wave, but didn't care at that point.  Enjoyed getting out there.

Weekly mileage:  58!

Weekly synopsis:  Super happy with this week!  Biggest mileage week in 5 months.  3rd consecutive 50+ mile week; that hasn't happened since October 2017.  Feeling really good out there.  Felt sore only after this week's fast run and long run, so I think that's pretty normal.

Weekly highlight:  The 15-mile trail run I cobbled together on Saturday.  Would like to do more of these.

Weekly lowlight:  I'm really thinking hard to even come up with one, but perhaps the overgrown trail run at Rivendell.




2 comments:

  1. Did Riverwood have a name change? I haven't been there much since Gus passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you have the correct name, Beth. "Rivendell" is my pet name for the preserve; it's a beautiful, enchanting, but alas mythical place from Lord of the Rings.
      It's a bit flooded and overgrown at present, but I did talk to WLT leaders today to get it on the list for some attention in next few weeks.

      Delete