Sunday, January 20, 2019

Weekly Log 14-Jan to 20-Jan-2019: Battles with the Alarm Clock

It's the latter half of January now.  Time to start planning out some 2019 races.  While the schedule will certainly change, here is my first draft:  Tentative 2019 Races

Monday:  0 run, 1/2 swim
Core stretching regimen before work.  Legs still pretty sore after 20 miles on Saturday and 12 more on Sunday.
Easy non-stop 900 yard swim at lunch at Westerly Y.

Tuesday:  12
AM:  After a fitful night where I must have gotten up at least eight times, when the alarm clock went off, I only had this response, as I climbed further under the covers:
Noon:  6 mile progression run, on a usual quiet room from the Y downtown out to White Rock / Springbrook and back via the North End.  Ran from 7:40 down to 5:47 pace for the final mile.  Winded.
PM:  Late afternoon recovery run in the Barn.
Beautiful sunset at the end of my run at
Wequetequock Cove.


Wednesday:  5
My planned morning run was once again thwarted again by me being a wimp.  Dark and 18 degrees when the alarm went off.  How does Jeff Vuono get up religiously to ride at 4:30am, when the guy is retired??!!!

Late afternoon run in Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge.  Sign at main entrance (Route 1) advising to enter at your own risk, due to embarrassing federal shutdown.  Deserted out there.

Thursday:  12
Finally got my sorry butt out of bed when the alarm went off and summoned to me, "Get up, Fatty".  Fatty (me) got up.  Drove to the Y at 6am and ran the Boombridge loop out to North Stonington and back through Ashaway.  23 degrees; comfortable.  Once I got out there, it was great.  It got light after a few miles (beautiful red sunrise, in fact), but I'm so glad I started out with a headlamp, as the first mile along Canal Street was a little busy and very dark.

Friday:  4
First visit ever to "Grills East" trailhead at Route 91.  Interesting terrain back there.  Some trails a little hard to follow, but it looks like more to come.  At one point, it looked like I was entering someone's private field, so I turned around, but I'm not sure if I was.  I think I ran all the trails in there, but once they add more, this could be an interesting place.

There was a historic cemetery on "Cemetary [sic] Trail", so of course, I went in to read some of the visible stones.  Some of the interred were born back when this was British soil.  The largest and most prominent stone was quite ornate and featured the words "In the midst of life we are in death".  I found that interesting and attributed it to the fact that he was age 14 when he died, in the midst of his early life, but when I Googled it, found it came from something called "The Common Book of Prayer" (?) and had medieval origins.

Saturday:  18
Local, long run through Weekapaug, Misquamicut, Watch Hill, and Avondale.  Mixed in two 5-mile sections at MP.  Ran them at 6:25 pace, thought it would be relatively easy.  It wasn't.  Isn't MP supposed to be at conversational pace?  Will need to try a few more MP sections and then decide what makes sense based on reality.

Sunday:  10
Woke up in Waterbury, CT (family wedding)
to several inches of snow and freezing rain.
While I love to run in new areas, I would have been
relegated to running icy city streets and dodging plows.
Skipped the run.
 

On the drive home through inland CT, so many tree branches were snapping
under the weight of ice.  At this awkward juncture, I had to back up the car
and find another way around.
Got home, and by mid-afternoon the freezing rain and rain had stopped, and it was time for a run.  Did a "'Round the Pond" run with Matthew, with trails in Champlin tacked on to get ten.  Very windy; roads completely flooded in Misquamicut.

Weekly mileage:  60 miles run, 0.5 miles swum

Weekly synopsis:  Good week with the mileage I was looking to get.  Had a minor knee annoyance twice this week, but both times it went away after a mile or so.  Hopefully nothing.

Weekly highlight:  Barn sunrise run.  Fun run, beautiful sunset, got to play with dogs at the cove.

Weekly lowlight:  Multiple lazy responses to morning alarm clock calls to get my lazy butt out of bed and get running.  Mind over matter; it really shouldn't be that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment