Sunday, June 20, 2021

Weekly Log 14-Jun to 20-Jun-2021: Sixty!

Monday:  0
Silly me, it's Flag Day and I forgot to put out my American flag.
From an accomplishment and satisfaction standpoint,
I finished spreading the 5 yards of mulch and freed
up the driveway once again.


Tuesday:  10
Beach OAB with Matthew and Brady.  My earliest run this year (I think) at 6:15am, and first full beach run.  Very few on the beach today, perhaps because it was drizzling for at least part of the run.

Post-run, I went to the hospital for my regular weekly wound care treatment, and I got some great news:  the staff is projecting my head wound will be fully healed by the 4th of July!  That's three weeks ahead of schedule.  This great news more than made up for the pain from today's session with a scalpel.  Getting close!

Wednesday:  7
AM:  Shake-out run at Ninigret with Matthew and Brady.  Easy run, mostly on grass.

PM:  Fun Run #3.  I ran moderately hard tonight, but could only muster a 19:03.  I did run an 18:45 two weeks ago in cooler weather, but I don't know if possible to get anywhere near my fastest Fun Run time of 17:57 (2014, age 50).

It was great to see so many people turn out tonight to run or walk.  More than 100 runners and walkers in total toed the line.  The only downside tonight that I saw was an old guy (really old, even older than me) driving an SUV with Florida plates going down Elmwood Ave much quicker than I or others were comfortable with, ignored the young children in the street, and then proceeded to run over and break one of our course signs.  And just kept driving.  Dangerous and clueless.

Thursday:  10
Afternoon run at Burlingame with Matthew and Brady.  A tad warm, with streams drying up.  Vin Gormley and Burlingame Trails.

Friday:  10
AM:  Six miles at Grills with Brady.  Some trails off-limits for the summer now, given their overgrowth, but the core trails are still fine.  Killed my first deerfly of the season atop Big Hill.

PM:  Four more at Ninigret.  Played frisbee with Brady and then stick fetching at Little Nini Pond, while Matthew ran, and we caught up with him for the final four of his run.
Frisbee fun at Ninigret Park



He's getting pretty good at this!


Saturday:  6
I wanted to run trails and Matthew wanted to run roads, given an ankle condition, so we compromised and ran Blitzkrieg Trail (a very low trafficked dirt road in Richmond/Exeter).  Deliberately easy run before Mt Washington, with Brady joining us as well.

Sunday:  17
Mount Washington Road Race.  Race report to follow.

Weekly mileage:  60!

Weekly synopsis:  Biggest weekly mileage since the first week of March!  Yes, the biggest chunk came from today at Mt Wash, but it's also the first post-50 mile week since early March as well.  I feel like I'm back now from the abyss, and with only three more weeks of medical treatments and restrictions, I should be able to keep this up now of having 50+ weeks on a regular basis.  I do need to plan out training and loose mileage plans, but feeling pretty good about that.

Weekly highlight:  From a life perspective, it's clearly getting the great news on my ahead of schedule healing.  From a running perspective, finally running Mount Washington and doing well overall against my expectations.  Mt Wash has been on my bucket list for a number of years now.  I always considered it a "one and done"; now I'm not so sure.

Weekly lowlight:  The careless old Florida driver obliviously driving fast on a kid-crowded street and running over and breaking our course marking sign, without slowing or stopping one.  I wanted to chase him down and follow him to his house, but to what avail?  Other than that, personally really just a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment