Friday, December 24, 2021

Weekly Log 13-Dec to 19-Dec-2021: Eggnog Mile

Monday:  2 walk
Post-run walk with Brady at Champlin.  Although winter solstice is still a week away, the sunsets are already starting to get later.

Tuesday:  5
Eggnog Mile in Newport.  What a fun event!

Despite the rise in popularity of events like Beer Mile, Chocolate Milk Mile, and even Ice Cream Mile, this was my first foray.  When I saw this event posted, I reached out to Adrian to confirm if it were public or just for the Newport club.  Good news, it's open to the public!  Great, sounded like something festive for the holiday season, and it would also give me the opportunity to catch up with Adrian in person and pick his brain on an ultramarathon I'm running next summer, which he has done in the past.

Reached out to a few local runners, and Nick and Dave, seemingly always up for a run, took the bait.  Carpooled over with Dave, and Nick would get there separately, as he was meeting up with the fam.  Got there 1/2 hour early, and the Newport crew, including Run Newport running store staff, were very welcoming.  Once Nick arrived, Adrian gave us a tour of the course:  starting in an outdoor mall walkway, and then one city block for a 1/4 mile.
Very festive setup
Lots of eggnog to be consumed!

Lap 1:  You start with your drink in hand.  Countdown backward from 5, and then you walk forward while chugging your eggnog.  You cannot leave the transition zone until you finish the drink and chuck the cup in one of four cardboard boxes.  I was behind from the get-go, and after two short turns, on the next straight-away would be the last time I see Dave and Adrian, way ahead of me.  Guys, wait up!  It all goes by fast, and you're back at the transition zone ...  1:29

Lap 2:  This was my poorest consumption.  Eggnog drooling down the sides of my mouth, and I'm certain I'm about to throw up, but somehow I pull it together.  I can see Nick ahead of me on the long straightaway.  Speedster Brian Doyle blows by me.  1:41

Lap 3:  As I pass someone on this lap, they ask me, "Are you regretting this yet?"  On the long straightaway, I have to run on the sidewalk this time as a bus is next to me, and then, worse, stops to pick up a passenger who crosses in front of me.  Yikes.  Manage not to crash into the bus passenger, and sprint into the final transition.  1:40

Lap 4:  Final chug!  Sprint as best as I can, but cannot catch Nick.  1:38

Adrian and Dave chugging and fighting for first
at one of the transitions.  Gross, but fun!
Post-race pose.  Team WTAC representation tonight.


Finished up the evening with Dave for food and drink at Brick Alley Pub, before driving home.  A fun evening, all in all.

Wednesday:  6
Burlingame Campground trails with Brady, late afternoon after work.  Turned completely dark during the run.  I just naturally slow down, even with a headlamp, and it still amazes me how Brady just flies along on the trail, even when he is in totally dark sections.

Thursday:  10
Burlingame campground again, but this time roads.  Went there straight after a Westerly Land Trust meeting adjourned, and even at 10am it was a ridiculously warm 55°.  Fortunately besides my usual December running garb of long sleeve, quarter zip, and gloves in my bag, I had also stashed a singlet to change into.  Even with that, I sweat a lot in this weather I'm now unaccustomed to.

Ran two 5-mile perimeter road loops.  Pushed the last mile in 6:18, for an overall average of 6:38/mile.

Friday:  6
3rd day in a row at Burlingame campground.  Matthew is back from for the Christmas holidays, so the three of us (including Brady) went for a run.  Matthew was planning a road workout, and as I had just ran roads yesterday, and reasonably hard at that, opted to warm up on the roads with him, and then Brady and I went and ran trails.  

Even more ridiculously warm at 60°.  Yes, I'm probably in the minority of RI runners not appreciating this warm weather.

Saturday:  10
Mid-day run from Haley Farm State Park, Groton.  42° and steady light rain, but somehow more comfortable than the past two warm days.

Sunday:  8
Run to/from The Bakery, Charlestown, on their last regular day open until spring.  :(   Run with Matthew and Tommy.  It was a chilly rain in the upper 30s on the drive over, some mixed precip when we got out of the car, but all precipitation stopped early on the run, and I certainly got very warm quick.  The conversation was fluid, and it seemed like the fun was over in no time.

Had a chocolate raspberry scone and latte post-run, and snagged a pumpkin spice muffin for tomorrow.

Weekly mileage:  45

Weekly synopsis:  While still a little on the low side, at least it was a little rebound from the previous three weeks post-marathon (21, 36, 36).  While I have yet to make a decision on a specific spring marathon, the good news is that assuming a May 1 date, the 18-week training starts tomorrow (Monday).  Why is that good news?  It will force me to get out there, even when the motivation is lacking.

Post-script:  After writing above paragraph, I was reviewing the training plan I loosely employed for my last marathon (Philadelphia), and I noticed for the first time ever that it also includes a 5-week recovery plan.  Reviewing it for the first time, I see the targeted mileage for the first three weeks post-marathon should actually have been 15, 24, and 31 respectively!  So I appreciate that perspective.

Weekly highlight:  The Eggnog Mile in Newport.  Something fun and different!

Weekly lowlight:  Only feeling that I am not running enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment