Monday, February 28, 2022

Weekly Log 21-Feb to 27-Feb-2022: Need a "Plan B" Marathon

Miscellaneous rambling:
Looks like any thought of a free "elite" entry into Providence Marathon has vanished, as I procrastinated, being oblivious to the fact that there was a capacity:
Back to the drawing board.  Will have to check what else is reasonably close, i.e., driveable,
about this timeframe.


Googled "Hare Hop 5K" to find out more info as I contemplate running this local race next Saturday with other club members:
The locale, at least, sounds really interesting!  Always had this country on
my bucket list.

Monday:  10 run, 2 hike
AM:  Hopkinton, RI.  Presidents' Day.  Ran at Yawgoog / Green Falls with Brady.  Very quiet; saw but one other person during our trek.  Beautiful, especially in Green Falls Pond area.  My do-good deed today was picking up a "Happy Birthday" helium balloon from deep in the woods on an unmarked trail in Pachaug and carrying it out.  If I had made my deed even better, I would have carried it all the way to the car and brought it home to discard, but I was early in the run and dropped it off at a trailhead parking at Green Falls.  Hopefully another Good Samaritan will take it from there.  Just beautiful at Green Falls Pond.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Afternoon hike with Jana and Brady at Champlin.

Tuesday:  1 walk, 4 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  CCC.  Massive tangled blowdown at Wahaneeta.  In retrospect, I would have re-routed the trail around this monster.  Just not worth the risk, but it wasn't my call.

PM:  Charlestown, RI.  From Kettle Pond Visitor Center in the rain, dark skies, and wind.  With Brady.  Not sure if it was due to the inclement weather, but I had a lot of negative and dark thoughts during this run.  Mostly about my brother's death.  I am cognizant that my mental recovery does not take a linear progression, and I have to deal with that.

Wednesday:  13
AM:  Westerly, RI.  8 mile 'Round the Pond run snuck in between six meetings.  We should really have a maximum number of meetings per day; otherwise, it's just tough to get anything done, especially running!  Very warm (51°F) and humid (91%) day, and I just felt very sweaty.  Part of it my own fault for wearing a long sleeve shirt, but obviously part of it that I'm not used to these temps in February.  This winter has been a real rollercoaster of weather, and I can't say I enjoy it.  Decent headwind on return, but still averaged 6:48 pace without really pushing it.

PM:  Stonington, CT.  My 4-5pm meeting ended 15 minutes early, so headed to Barn Island with Brady to catch a final daylight activity.  With the warm weather, many others had the same idea apparently as there were at least 10 cars parked there.  Fortunately, most of the visitors typically stick to the double-track carriage roads along the marsh, so we quickly headed for the single-track sylvan sections.  Disappointed to see a number of single-track trails overgrown with briars even in February.  DEEP doesn't seem to maintain these trails, and the downside of them not getting much love is they're overgrown.  Returning to the marshes near end of run, we saw the last flickers of an impressive crimson sunset, which faded to complete darkness just as we were finishing.

Thursday:  8
Charlestown, RI.  Had planned on running 13 today, but just plain lost interest in going that far.  Morning run at Ninigret with Brady.  The run was just fine, but decided 8 was enough and maybe I'd go back for more later.  Back home, got into my routine and no interest to run came back to me.  In sharp contrast to yesterday, it was only 28° when I ran, but felt so much more comfortable than yesterday.

Friday:  5
Westerly, RI.  Morning snow and sleet run, before heading up to Boston for the day.  Early in my run with Brady, the snow turned to sleet.  Found myself looking down to reduce the stinging on my face.  Unlike snow, and even rain if warm enough, sleet is just not enjoyable under any circumstances.
In Boston for the day, Jana and I had lunch
at a Japanese hot pot restaurant at Back Bay.

Pick you main plate ...

... pick your broth (mushroom left, miso right),
add some vegetables and noodles,
and cook your own meal.
---
We just happened to stumble on this place
while looking for a more traditional sandwich shop;
a lot more fun!



Snowy day in Boston.  Glad we opted for
public transportation, especially as we
got sleet on top of snow back home making
for slippery roads even getting to the local train station.

Saturday:  16
Colchester, CT.  Colchester Half Marathon.  Full write-up to follow very shortly.

Sunday:  5
Taking Brady out for his evening ritual before bed last night, both of us were slip sliding away on the snow crust on our back lawn.  That killed any thought of a Sunday morning trail run for me; just not worth the risk and likely not fun.  So a medium-long road run, perhaps?

Westerly, RI.  Woke up to quite a bit of post-race soreness, mostly in the calf and quad muscles.  Rolled out and stretched well, but ruled out anything long.  Easy local road run with Brady.  There were even places on the roads where we had to slow down or go up on people's lawns to avoid ice.  Ran a bit on the beach as well to break it up.  Five is good for today.

Weekly mileage:  62 run, 3 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Weekly mileage was under what I was targeting in marathon build-up, but now with Providence off the table, I need to refigure my plans.  

Weekly highlight:  Colchester Half Marathon.  Exceeded my expectations!

Weekly lowlight:  Disappointment in not having fixed marathon plans.  Looking forward to Eastern States 20-Miler in just one month, but need to set more of a race plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment