Friday, July 8, 2022

Niantic Bay 10K 2022

East Lyme, CT
Friday, June 10, 2022

This would be my fourth iteration of running this race.  It's a fun Friday evening event.  OABs are not my favorite format, but technically this is a lollipop course, as at least there is no cone turnaround, and there is a 3/4 mile road loop at the turnaround point on the southern end of the Black Point peninsula.

Pre-race with teammates Dave and Matt
(and Brady and Mango;
apparently there is something interesting
to our left)

After a short warm-up (1 mile), I headed to the start line and ran a few strides.  Most runners were lined up, and all of a sudden a loose dog bolted onto the course.  Uh oh, that dog is Brady!  To add to my embarrassment, Pete announces over the loud speaker, "Jeff, you have one minute to get the course clear before the race start".  Another runner came out to help me corral Brady, but we don't really need to "catch" him, as the only reason he is on the course is he broke free from Jana and from his collar and just wants to run with me.  He comes right to me so I just bring him back to Jana, as we affix his collar and try this again.

It's only seconds really and I'm on the line (again) with plenty of time.  I'm just fearful that he will break free again and run onto the course during the race, which would mean my race is done, but I don't want him to obstruct other runners.  The gun goes off, and other than a lot of whining from Brady wanting to run the race, my fears are unfounded.  Whew.

After the dust settles (I think I overuse that term; there was no dust), I'm in about 10th place.  That quickly changes as we go up the smallest of hills (20 feet?) about 1/10 of a mile in and I repass runners.  I really don't understand this blasting out of the gate thing only to slow down, unless it's novice runners not knowing how to pace.  
The 19-year old leader blasts out ahead of everyone
and stays there

Trailing a large group of runners at start.


By the time we make a hard right turn 3/4 mile in, I am in 4th place and can see the next runner just ahead of me.  I easily catch and go by the 3rd place runner.  Mile 1 split 5:59.

Seeing teammate Dave ahead of me helps spur me on.  Mile 2 split 5:57.

In Mile 3, I catch and pass Dave, but certainly don't rule him out.  I'm in 2nd place now, and the top runner is no where in sight.  Mile 3 split 6:04.

In Mile 4, we complete the pop portion of the lollipop (hope that makes sense), and resume the stick portion to head back home.  Many runners coming towards me now.  I hear my name multiple times and try to give a thumbs up when possible.  Mile 4 split 6:06.

In Mile 5, there are still runners coming towards me but many are walkers now.  I avoided every water stop as they are handing out water bottles and that's just too inefficient for me, so I saunter on.  At one water stop, a young Asian woman asks me, "How many miles per hour are you running?".  Miles per hour?!  Clearly not a runner and I'm thinking I have no idea and don't want to compute it, but then a light bulb goes on (that doesn't happen very often) and I realize it's easy - a pace of about 6:00/mile is clearly 10mph, so I yell back "10 miles per hour".  Hope she's happy.  Mile 5 split 6:04.

Mile 6.  A very slight uphill of about 40' gain, and then I'm able to pick it up on a slight downhill to the finish.  Mile 6 split is my fastest at 5:53.

Final results:  37:31, 2nd overall out of 109.  1st in age group.  My fastest of four Niantic Bay 10Ks (4 seconds faster than 8 years ago in 2014).   Full results here.

As I cross the finish line, Way on the loudspeaker announces me and my WTAC role and then adds, "... and that's his wife Jana struggling to control their dog.".  Brady is just excited and trying to pull her to come see me.  There is no else around, so no issue at all this time as Jana lets go of the leash and he runs up to me.  Dave finishes just 35 seconds after me, so I'm glad I pushed to the finish.
Some of the team WTAC runners out there tonight

Fun race as always, and nice that this year wave starts were gone, and the awards ceremony and food returned.
Age group awards!

Post-race, great dinner outside at a local Niantic restaurant.
Sushi does not work for everyone, but to me awesome food that
I feel I "earned".

No comments:

Post a Comment