Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Christmas 10K 2018

Newport, RI
Sunday, December 9, 2018

Headed out to the city by the sea to join 13 of my WTAC comrades for the annual 10K.  This would be my 9th time running the race.  I like the course and the location, and getting together for lunch post-race is an added attraction.  Having run the Christmas 10K so many times, and with it being held in December with long stretches right along the ocean, it was inevitable that I met some nasty conditions along the way, including frigid temperatures, driving rain, slippery spots, wind-driven gusts of water coming over the seawall, and even one year where seaweed covered the road!

Fortunately this year was great running weather:  about 28F at the start, dry roads, partly cloudy, almost no wind!  Warmed up with Kevin Murphy and Allyson Cole.  Besides the obvious choice of short shorts and a singlet, I opted for a hat and gloves.  Jana asked me when I thought I would finish, and I thought, and said "38 minutes +".  Chilly waiting for the start in shorts and a singlet, but not downright frigid as some years were.

Mile 1:  For some reason, Dave Schaad made some brief opening remarks, and shortly thereafter we were off.  There was the usual shuffling for the first half mile or so, with Bob Jackman and Fred Campagna right alongside me, and after that, Steve Brightman was running ahead, followed by a pretty tight pack of five:  Bronson (out for a jog), Principe, Blue Guy, Muddy, and me.  The pack was so tight that when we took corners, it was sometimes awkward for me to not bump into others.  Not sure if others have that awkwardness or if they're just more acclimated and better at pack running. In past years, I have tended to drop off the lead pack about 1/2 mile in, but I was feeling it was sustainable for now.  We went through the mile in 5:46.
Team WTAC (or most of us that ran at Christmas 10K)
Getting in some strides

It'll take a little while for positions to shake out, but here is how we started off

Mile 2:  About half-way though the mile, I saw I was dropping back from the pack.  There was a voice inside me of telling me to just let them go, and drop back to a more comfortable pace.  Fortunately, this was on a downhill (my strength) section to the water, so I picked it up to catch up and fall back in with pack.  Mile split 5:54.

Mile 3:  Stayed with the pack along the water, but towards the end of the mile, after we rounded the point at Brenton Point State Park, I once again dropped back and this time on a flat surface rationalized that it would just be tough to pick up the pace yet again to catch up.  Mile split 5:51.

Mile 4:  The pack is separating, but not by a lot.  I can still see Brightman (as he's been running in the low 5:40s), next is Blue Guy, followed by Muddy, and then between Muddy and I is Bronson and Principe.  Bronson is talking with ease trying to coach Principe to maximize the tangent utilization, while I'm gasping like a dinosaur and envisioning my mile splits dropping to 6:25, now that the pack split apart and there is no one on my heels.  Mile split 5:59!  I'll take it, assuming that's my last sub-6 split.

Mile 5:  At about the start of the 5th mile, I start coming up on the walkers, as their route has just rejoined ours.  I've had some years where they can be a nuisance to go around, but fortunately this time around there is only group that is strung three across that I have to run wide around and can't use the tangents.  Many are vocally supportive of the runners.  As I go by, I hear one woman say "That's the Race Director of the last two trail runs I ran.  Awesome job!".  I'm not sure if she's praising my efforts as RD (and by extension the club) or my efforts in the race. Either way, I'll take the compliment!

Somewhere during this mile, still along the water, I hear the loud smacking of feet coming rapidly towards me.  I guess I'm really slowing down now, and I have two fears: 1) it's Martin Tighe coming to overtake and kick me off the 50s podium, or 2) it's Fred Campagna (not that he's in my age group, and not that I don't wish him well, but I don't want him to beat me).  The guy goes by me, and it's some young guy in a RIRR singlet that I don't recognize. No problem, you can go.  We hit the mile marker, and it's time for the moment of truth on how much I have slowed.  Check my watch, and it says 5:59!  Wow.  Ok, so not only am I still hanging on, but it was really that Orange RIRR Guy picked it up.

Mile 6:  Gradual hill climbs, followed by a dip and then re-climb up to the finish at Rogers High School.  I'm in survival mode now panting away, but it really goes by much quicker than I imagined.  Somewhere in the mile I felt better to see that Orange RIRR Guy also passed Principe.  Just before the final turn, Jim Cole gives me a shout-out.  He's out of running commission for a while due to a soccer injury, and out on the course awaiting his 13-year old daughter, Allyson, who is leading the WTAC women's team today.  I follow Principe up the hill, but he's a good 100-plus meters ahead of me now.  Final mile split 6:14.
I like this shot.  Nothing around me, and against the contrast of the barren trees in winter.

Just about done.

Final turn

And we're done.  36:38, thank you very much.

Final results:  36:38, 7th overall, 3rd in age group behind Brightman and Principe.  Tough age group today, considering that 3 of 7 top overall were in their 50s!  Full results here.
$20 gift certificate and a pair of running gloves,
for my efforts

Other than checking my watch at mile splits, I hadn't been obsessing with the time or doing the math, and I was somehow shocked when I came up on the finishing clock and saw not 38:xx, and not 37:xx, but 36:xx!  Ecstatic!  Rather than being the typical several minutes behind Brightman, Muddy, and Principe, they have all just finished up within 75 seconds before me and are still near the end of the chute.  Brightman kindly came up to me and said something to the effect of, "I think you're back from your injury now".  I agree!

Cooled down with Jonathon Short and Cliff Dimon in the trails across from Rogers.  Then headed out to a lunch of eight at Brick Alley Pub to further regale stories of the race.  Fun finish to the day.

Later, I reflected on my strategy to push and stay with the pack for almost 3 miles.  I do believe that paid dividends for me.  It is interesting to contemplate the physical versus mental struggle.  On my own, I was ready to just slow down into a more comfortable pace, but I pushed to stay with the pack.  What about the final separation at Mile 3, where I "let" the pack go?  At the moment, that seemed like all I could do, but was I really at my physical limits, or just my mind telling me so?  Could I have pushed further and harder to stay with the pack a little further?  Again, very happy with my results, but it does give me some food for thought. 


1 comment:

  1. Well done, Gazelle! A nice way to close out the 2018 racing season.

    ReplyDelete