Sunday, April 7, 2019

Weekly Log 1-Apr to 7-Apr-2019: A Good Week on the Trails!

Miscellaneous rambling:
  • I hurt my back this afternoon (Sunday) trying to get a heavy slab of concrete waste out of my woods.  I ended up leaving it there for another day, when I may try to break it up with a sledgehammer.  Even more annoying is that there was still more cement left after I already complained to my neighbor about his masonry contractor dumping cement (on MY property!) after recent work at his house last fall.  I don't know why my neighbor's contractors feel it's acceptable to use my property as a dumping ground and toilet.  If you ever consider hiring Sposato Masonry, don't; they're not ethical.
  • At the suggestion of a colleague, we went to Matunuck Oyster Bar for dinner Saturday.  Very, very busy, but it did NOT disappoint.
    Sunset view from Matunuck Oyster Bar.

I'm probably just behind the times, but this was
really neat!  You provide your cell phone number
when you check in and ask to be added to the waitlist,
and then you get a personalized link that gives you
updates on how many parties are ahead of you.
(It started at 19 for me, and gave me comfort seeing it go down
quicker than I expected.)

This seared blackened tuna with a sweet pepper relish may not look it,
but it was just delicious.
  • While at one point I wanted to become vegetarian, I don't think I could or would want to do that, and I could certainly not go vegan.  I occasionally dabble with the thought of becoming pescatarian (I don't miss eating four-legged animals, but still have the occasional two-legged.)
  • I felt horrible to read about the SC college girl who got into the wrong car thinking it was her Uber ride, and ended up stabbed to death.  FWIW, I always check the license plate of the car against the Uber app before getting in.  Don't others?  Today I asked my Uber driver if he thinks that people don't check license plate/car make/driver photo etc before getting in.  He said it happens all the time, and sometimes he awkwardly has to coach people (esp teen girls) making bad decisions (e.g., drunk getting in his car, no shoes, hanging around with bad crowd).  Ugh.  Hopefully something good comes of this, even if just more awareness.
  • As I've written before, I was pretty happy overall with my Myrtle Beach Marathon performance last month.  After a 2-year hiatus, I'd like to get back to regular marathon road races, perhaps 2x/annum.  I'm roughly thinking either Steamtown or Mohawk-Hudson in October, Boston next spring, and then maybe a destination race next fall.  I do know that having races planned helps with my personal running motivation, but I'm way ahead of myself ...

Monday:  0
Planned rest day.

Tuesday:  5
Easy run at lunch from Bradford Preserve.  Ran in to the dirt bike trails in NE Woody, and was disgusted by all the trash near the entrance and along those trails.  Broken up wooden shelves, tires, a camper top, etc.  [Some] people are gross; sometimes I just have this fantasy of moving to a cabin in the woods near a stream and going off the grid. 

Wednesday:  10
AM:  5 miles at Hale Reservation, Westwood, MA.  A little cold in the 37-degree rain.  Their website bills themselves as having 1,137 acres and over 20 miles.  If I stick to the blazed trails and make one of my usual loops, I have no problem, but I think every single time I have ever ventured onto unmarked single-track at Hale, I have gotten lost.  Today was no different!  They have really neat single-track, so I won't stop trying.  This morning I found the elusive (at least to me) connector trail over to Noanet Woodlands trail system, but then got completely turned around and somehow looped back on myself.  Still a good run, but not what I was envisioning.

PM:  5 miles at Arcadia Management Area.  65 degrees.  ~30 degree warm-up from this morning's run!  Since I only had a long-sleeve running shirt with me, just opted to run shirtless.  Ran JB Hudson from 165 up to and then around Breakheart Pond.  On the way back, for the first time ever I took a single-track trail running south from Breakheart Pond along the river (Breakheart Brook).  Fun!

Thursday:  6
Late afternoon run at Ninigret.  Felt sloth-like, and slowed the pace and reduced planned distance.

When I was a child (oh boy, here he goes again ...), from my grandparents' home in Charlestown I would watch fighter planes take off from and land here, as back then this was the Charlestown Naval Air Field.  I have long known (as have many others) that this is where President George HW Bush trained to become a Navy pilot.

However, what I did not know until today was that in British colonial days, this was part of a 2,000 acre farm owned by Jeffrey Champlin.  Champlin was one of the originals settlers of the "Misquamicut Purchase" from the Indian Sosoa in 1660, and back then this land was part of Westerly, as Charlestown was not split off as a separate town until 1738.

My grandmother often encouraged me to try to learn something new every day.  For today, success.

Friday:  9
Late afternoon run in Mystic, before meeting up with a high school friend for our annual dinner and conversation.  Ran from/to the beautiful newly renovated Mystic Y.  About 2 1/2 miles on trails and the rest roads.  Ran in the "Bishop's Cove" housing development for the first time, a long snaking road through a marsh before ending up at pretty upscale homes.  There was a guard shack with a foreboding sign that only residents and guests allowed beyond it, but since no one inside, I just went passed it and got ready to plead ignorance if needed.

Saturday:  8
Trail run at DuVal.  I hadn't been in here in a while, and I often forget the extent to which this is hilly.  As in constantly rolling hills.  That's a good thing, especially for one getting ready for some trail races that might be just a little hillier than the terrain I usually run on.  I think I got every trail in there.  When I finished up, it was 57 degrees and clear that I had overdressed (again) by wearing a long sleeve shirt.  This was definitely singlet or at least short-sleeve weather.

Early on in my run, a big chocolate lab saw me and ran up to me.  I gave him a quick pet, and then he turned and ran with me back to his owner.  With my circling around to get all the trails, this happened not once but twice more this morning.  He was much more friendly than his owner.  Or maybe his owner was a nice guy, but rightly sensed that I coveted his dog and was plotting how to kidnap him?

Sunday:  12
Groton Cross-Town Trail.  I've run the section from Haley Farm to Town's End before in both directions, often with Matthew, but never the whole enchilada.  It was time.  The map (below) shows about 6 miles, so I tacked on Poquonnock River Boardwalk and some extra-single track to bring it up to about 10.  I got 12!  No problem.  Parked at the end of my run and then took an Uber to the start.  Uber driver said he lived in this area since '85 and never heard of the Groton Cross-Town Trail.  When he dropped me off, and I showed him the start of the boardwalk right there, he said he learned something new today as he had been there many times before and had never seen it!  Here is my pictorial write-up of today's run:
Map of Groton Crosstown Trail (red)
Starting off on the Poquonnock River Boardwalk, through the reeds.

Easy single-track entering Bluff Point State Park.

Bluff Point definitely has best trailside views out of any
of the properties I'd run on today.


The "Amtrak Sprint" section connecting Bluff Point and
Haley is the worst section of the trail.

Crossing over the tracks into Haley.

Haley Farm State Park.  Mostly double-track here.

Mortimer Wright Preserve:
The first couple of times I ran here, I got twisted around and
had a lot of trouble to find the actual trail.  But with much
better signage these days, as long as you pay attention to the markers,
you should be good.

I really appreciate it when signs indicate
when you're entering a new property (and which one it is!)
In the Merritt Family Forest.

Beebe Pond is really fun!

And well marked!  I wish all the preserves used this blue
mark with the "X" to denote the X-Town Trail.

Beebe Pond is definitely the most technical of
the preserves.

Only wildlife I saw today.

Beebe Pond!

Final techy section of trail before leaving Beebe Pond.

Town's End.  Final property on the Cross-Town Trail.

Easternmost point and end of trail.  This was really fun!
Now to Vault Coffee Roasters (Mystic) for an iced coffee reward.

Weekly mileage:  51

Weekly synopsis:  One road run (with some trails mixed in), six trail runs.  Nothing against the road runs, but with seven out of eight of my next planned races on trails, that's where I'll spend most of my time for the next few months.  Slow (due to laziness) start to the week, but I still met my loose target of 50.  Really a good week of running.  I think the only missing element was a workout.

Weekly highlight:  So many to pick from, but I'm going with today's Cross-Town run, because it was something new that I had never put together before.  Easy effort, but really fun and comfortable with the weather being sunny and warm in the low 50s.  A number of hikers, runners, bikers, and friendly dogs on sections of the trail today.

Weekly lowlight:  Only on my Ninigret run did I feel heavy and unmotivated this week.

1 comment:

  1. That trail looks so cool! And I'm super jealous of all of your trail running. Our trails are buried in snow and conditions are hit or miss... usually miss this time of year. I just want to run on trails!! Wahhh!

    ReplyDelete