Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Weekly Log 12-Aug to 18-Aug-2019: Bottone and Wahaneeta Races

Monday:  2 walk, 15 ride
Victory Day, an anachronism left over from WWII.  Formerly called VJ Day (Victory over Japan), RI is the only state in the country that celebrates this holiday.  Japan is obviously our ally today, so getting rid of the "VJ" designation only makes sense to me.  I would say just get rid of the holiday altogether, except that selfishly after working in MA for 25 years, I have just finally had this holiday off every year since I started working in RI in 2014.

Busy and tiring, yet satisfying day today.  After trimming our own overgrown bushes, I went to work on the Wahaneeta 5K course by trimming the perimeter and orange trails, then mowed the start/finish field until the Westerly Land Trust mower went on strike.

In the afternoon, I went on a 15-mile solo ride along the coast here in Westerly.  Had hoped to also go to the beach for a swim, but seeing how crowded it was today (presumably due to the RI holiday?) it was just as well.  I'm not big on crowds.

Tuesday:  0

Wednesday:  2
Bottone Mile.  I ask for everyone's estimated time as part of online registration, and use this for the starting line to help make it fairer for speedier runners.  I had put down 6 minutes personally, but didn't know if this was realistic.  After arriving and helping to setup, went on a 1+ mile warmup of the course with Kevin Murphy.  Felt really good; I will take this as a positive omen.  Tried to keep my pre-race remarks short, and was ready to go.
Start of 2019 Bottone Mile

A mile goes by super fast, and I'm trying to remember any significant details writing this just one day after the event.  By the time I rounded the first turn, the high school guys were soon out of my reach.  I felt like I was keeping a consistent speed, so when I started passing three or four runners, I just assumed they were slowing down.  The "long" stretch on Crandall Ave has a dichotomy of being nice and straight, while at the same time seeming to take forever to the turn.  I passed a few teenagers here.  Two more quick turns and we're on the home stretch.  There is a very short dirt section here that was recently graded and in much better shape than the potholes a year ago.  Coming in to the finishing chute, a 14-year old girl blew by me.
Sprinting to finish

Final results:  5:42!!  Full results here.
Giving credit to Tommy McCoy,
at the conclusion of the 44th annual Tom McCoy Family Fun Run Series

With some of the WTAC crew and volunteers this evening

Thursday:  3
Wahaneeta final course preview.  The course is fine, but nitpicking, I may come back with a little more weedwhacking pre-race.  1 DFK, 1 HFK.  First and hopefully only horsefly of the season.

Friday:  5 run, 1 walk
Brady and I went for a run at Grills Preserve.  Very humid.  Most of the course was fine, but very overgrown on white trail along west edge of clearing.  I absolutely stunk after the run.  5 DFKs.

Went back to Wahaneeta in late afternoon to trim one more trail.  2 DFKs.

Saturday:  6
Wahaneeta Trail 5K!  This was the 4th year of the race.  We added this race in 2016 in order to have a 3rd "fall" trail race and make it a series.  The thought for this one was not a money-maker, but rather it keep it small, low-key, low-cost, and no frills.  We have averaged about 50 entrants, which is above our break-even point, so all is good.

We had a great volunteer crew arrive by 7:30am.  When Muddy and I first got there, the deer flies were bouncing off my car windows, and I was fearful for an attack of the flies.
Hopefully we won't all be attacked like Father Mulcahey was

Fortunately, my fears were unfounded, as the deerflies never bit, and by race start even the pesky mosquitoes seemed to dissipate.  I tried to keep my race remarks brief.  Not sure if I succeeded or not, as Strava shows the race started at 9:04am.

Loop 1:  As is typical at a number of races, we had a young guy that near sprinted out ahead (or ahead of me at least).  Only a 1/4 mile in, I passed him near the cabin, and judging by how hard he was breathing, I was afraid it wouldn't be a fun or easy race.  (He was 7 years old, and did finish the race with his Dad, but hopefully got pacing lessons along the way from Dad.)  After passing him, my position stayed the same, which was behind five runners ahead of me seemingly in a pack.  Crossing the dilapidated bridge for the first loop, I heard a loud crack and found a board completely snapped when I got there seconds later (I later learned Aaron had stepped on and broken it, but fortunately no injuries from it).  Aaron must have gotten passed by a few along the way, as a mile in I could no longer see the top guys (Chris, Muddy, and an unknown 19-year old), but Aaron and another young guy were just ahead of me.  I took advantage of the relatively long downhill on the 2-way section to go past the young guy, and then followed Aaron back to the start/finish field to start Loop 2.

Above two pics must be super early on, if I'm that close to
Chris and Muddy and so many runners around me.

Finishing up first loop.

Loop 2:  Aaron would be the only runner in sight or near me for this shorter, second loop (except the runners coming towards me and finishing their first loop in the short 2-way section).  Again, I waited for my strength of running downhill before making a move.  Coming into the broken bridge and technical section for the second time, I called "On your left" and went past Aaron.  I'm only guessing that I may be faster than him on technical stuff, so I actually tried to pick it up more than I'm comfortable with going over the jagged rocks and bridge.  Once back on regular dirt single-track, I tried to keep pushing and we were quickly back to the field again.
Finishing up second loop,
crossing the new Land Trust bridge

In the field, about to start on 3rd and final "loop"

Loop 3:  This one on the orange trail is not really a loop, but rather a short OAB with a mini-loop turnaround.  I got to see the leaders coming back to me as they were finishing up, and since I saw unnamed 19-year old and Muddy in that order, but not Chris, I could only speculate that they were 2nd and 3rd, respectively.  When I got to the stream crossing, of course, I just bombed through the shallow water, jumped the stream on way back, and reminded myself to push it to the finish so I don't give Aaron an opportunity to outkick an old man.  Ended up crossing the line 27 seconds ahead of Aaron, so it wasn't an issue.
... and I'm all done.  I'm finishing my 3rd loop,
as another runner is starting his.


Final results:  22:15, 4th overall, 1st in age.  Full results here.

Somehow despite my recent issues and lack of running, I was 22 seconds ahead of last year's time, so I will definitely take that!

Sunday:  27 ride, 5 run
AM:  Ride with Mike through Watch Hill, Misquamicut, Weekapaug, and Quonochontaug, with a stop at Dave's Coffee on the way back.  Good times catching up.

PM:  5-mile barefoot beach run at low tide.  I have run very little running at all this summer, let alone put miles in on the beach.  Ran one "fast" mile in the middle at 6:03 pace; otherwise easy mid to high 7s.  I'd like to get some more beach runs to be ready for Stavros Beach Run on September 19th, and also my feet will need to acclimate a little more, as they're a little tender tonight.  No blisters, but sore.

Weekly mileage:  21 run, 3 walk, 42 ride

Weekly synopsis:  Busy week with two WTAC race events to put on.  I felt really good in all of my runs, and with the increased Prednisone dosage, the only remaining effect that I have is pain and some limited mobility in my right shoulder only, and at that typically only in the morning.

Weekly highlight:  Running 5:46 at the Bottone Mile, and getting some confidence back.  Exceeded my expectations.

Weekly lowlight:  Friggin' deerflies.  Go away already!

No comments:

Post a Comment