Monday, September 30, 2019

Weekly Log 23-Sep to 29-Sep-2019: Diagnosis Confirmation & Mountain Goat

Miscellaneous ramblings:

  • For the past few years, I have tried without success to grow pumpkins in my small garden.  This year I abandoned the garden due to my early summer mobility issues and ...


Go figure.  I didn't even plant any seeds!

  • With my looming participation in the US Mountain Running Championships this coming weekend, just for the heck of it I double checked to make sure the type of steroids I'm taking (corticosteroids) aren't banned.

NCAA rules:  clearly allowed

USATF / WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) (the governing body for this weekend):  not as clear.  Not prohibited "Out of Competition", meaning if I simply skipped my morning dosage that day or took after the race, I'm in compliance.  Or, I could file a "Therapeutic Use Exemption", as the only reason I'm taking it is that it's prescribed for a medical reason.  But it turns out that filing is only necessary if I'm a "National Level Athlete" (Olympian, or qualifying for World Championship level, or advised by USATF that I am in their registered testing pool).  So no issue.
One article I read labeled anabolic steroids as "performance enhancers" and corticosteroids as "performance enablers".  Interesting.  Sounds about right to me.

Monday:  0
Rheumatologist visit!  Excited and nervous at the same time.  It's been four months now since my rheumatic symptoms started, and 2 1/2 months since I was initially referred for an appointment.

After much questioning, probing, and reviewing of inflammation markers in blood tests series, the doc confirmed this as a "classic textbook case of Polymyalgia Rheumatica".  Good.  The confirmation put my mind at ease, and I could now focus on questions like duration, treatment, next steps, etc.  While he explained that the "typical" duration was 1 - 3 years, he said he was encouraged that I was asymptomatic on a lower initial dosage (10 mg) of Prednisone than others and stated that me being so physically active would likely play a beneficial role in both treatment and duration.


Next steps include additional blood tests, and trial-and-error attempting slight but deliberate dosage reductions over the next two months and then regrouping.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to ramp up the exercising, as well as continuing to avoid or at least minimize foods linked to inflammation and recommended for people with PMR to avoid, including white bread, red meat, and fried foods.

I'm feeling really good about this confirmed diagnosis, outlook, and finite nature.  Sure, this messed up my summer (2nd in a row now), but there are a lot of people out there with worse things than me, and I am thankful for my overall health.

Tuesday:  6
Beautiful 2nd day of fall.  Took a somewhat extended lunch hour to both get the labwork done and then head down to Watch Hill, where I ran four on roads, and two barefoot on the beach.  Jumped in the ocean before heading back to work.  The water is very warm this time of year.

Wednesday:  0
Lazy.

Thursday:  5
A warm up on Burlingame trails, and then two hard miles on Buckeye Brook Road.  6:43 uphill; 5:29 downhill.  Very warm day.
Scary placard at Burlingame brings it home.

Friday:  8
Beautiful sunny fall day.  Went to Ninigret to run at lunch.  72 degrees, just ran shirtless.  Stopped on "Fishing" trail/segment for a bio-break, and was immediately surrounded by buzzing mosquitoes, and one promptly landed on my arm about to bite.  Yikes!  Even in the noon direct sunlight.  Don't think any of those nasty bastards bit me, but with the EEE threat, immediately got going again and didn't stop again until I got to real bathrooms at east entrance to wildlife preserve.  Once I got out of the preserve, I never saw another mosquito.  Better to overreact.

Highlight of my run was a ~4' long black rat snake crossing my path when running on the frisbee golf disk course.  It was awesome.  I didn't see it at first and almost stepped on it.

Saturday:  6
Easy local road shakeout at about 7:40 pace.  Tried to consciously run slower than that, but just felt good.
These new shoes look just a little bit brighter yellow than they did in the NB
catalog at Kelley's Pace.  Oh well, I got the new release 1500 v6 at a great price
by cashing in a few gift certificates won at races, and I'm looking forward to
the 8.1 ounces.  Felt great on inaugural run!
Headed up to NH.  This shot is from kayaking at
Pawtuckaway State Park before visiting Matthew at UNH.

Sunday:  8
US Mountain Running Championships, Waterville Valley, NH.  Earned my 2019 Mountain Goat Status!  Separate write-up to follow.

Weekly mileage:  33

Weekly synopsis:  Intentional cut-back in mileage from several weeks of ramp-up to 45.  I am really beat as I write this, but hoping that's just after-effects from the Waterville Valley race.  I'm otherwise feeling good, and psyched to have completed the mountain series, which I had all but given up on during the summer due to my ailments.  Looking forward to running the Run for the Pumpkins 8K Trail Race next weekend, and then gradually resuming ramping up weekly mileage to the 50s and building a little bit of endurance running before Li'l Rhody.

Weekly highlight:   My euphoria of earning my Mountain Goat status is second this week only to finally meeting with the rheumatologist, getting a confirmation, and on a treatment plan.  Life is good!

Weekly lowlight:  Stupid mosquitoes.  With all the publicity, I'm now feeling paranoid anytime I hear a buzzing sound.  Go away and die already.

No comments:

Post a Comment