Thursday, January 30, 2020

Chili 5K

Charlestown, RI
Saturday, January 25, 2020

Background:  Fifth (?) annual race.  Only my second rodeo here, as I've had conflicts most years.  It's a really fun event, at a time of year when local races are few and far between.  I like that it's a single loop, or more accurately, kind of a lollipop, which is still fine with me.  With the demise of the Charlestown Police 5K, I believe this race and the Avondale "Setting the Pace for Conservation" 5K are now about the flattest races in the state.

Fake news:  Arrived a little later than I would like (about 12:30pm for a 1pm race), and there was already a decent line for checking in for pre-reg.  When I got to the front, the person checking us in was repeating her spiel that the kids' race would start at 1pm, and the 5K race at 1:15pm.  OK, good, that gave me extra time for a warm-up.  Or so I thought ...

Change of plans:  Dropped my runner entry loot (knit cap, bottle of water, and a women's nutrition bar) at the car, and went out for a solo warm-up.  During my warm-up, I heard an airhorn go off, figured that was the start of the kids' run, but got concerned when I double-checked the time on my GPS watch and saw it was 12:55pm.  Hmm ... if they're starting the kids' run early, how about the 5K?  Decided to saunter over to the start line, and got there as the kids' race was finishing up.  Well, I might as well as hang around now.  Good thing - the race started at 1:04pm, not the announced 1:15pm!  (I heard later that some runners missed the start.)

Mile 1:  After a brief race overview from the RD and course overview from Jonny, we were off.  The course makes a short loop of about 1/3 mile before coming right near the start again.  By then, the top five positions were set and would hold:  Chris, a shirtless Chariho runner, another Chariho runner, Jonny, and me.  I heard somewhat heavy footsteps right behind me until we reached the playground, just shy of a mile.  Mile 1 split 5:40.
In yellow shoes in 2nd row,
eventual four finishers on front line
(so for once in a local race runners actually lined up properly!)
[All pics courtesy of Jana]
Finishing up short loop near start (1/3 mile in)

Being chased by WTAC teammates
Eric Ciocca and newest member Stefan Cox

Mile 2:  The wind was oddly out of the east, so criterion course sections hampered by wind in past races (including the now defunct Charlestown Police 5K) were unaffected this time.  I followed pretty closely to Jonny, and was glad he was just ahead of me, as each time I slowed and he pulled away (several times) I pushed to get back close to him.  At the bottom (southernmost section) of crit loop, we headed east and the wind hit.  This was the toughest section of the course, into the headwind with no protection from trees.  Mile 2 split 6:04.

Mile 3:  Headed up the final section of the crit course before turning off at the "Seafood Festival building" and then headed home.  Unceremoniously uneventful mile as I chased Jonny, but I think he put a few more seconds on me.
Final steps before the finish
Breathing hard, but still feeling good

Final results:  17:53, 5th overall out of 106.  Full results here.

Seven seconds behind Jonny; almost a full minute before my next teammates.

Caught up with other finishers, my Mom, Jana, and Brady.  Five bearded WTAC runners (Chris, Jonny, Eric, Stefan, me) and one black dog went out for a cool down and pick up of flags, signs, and red adhesive tape arrows.  It's great to see runners pitching in to help out.  The cost to me was that my choice of chili (pumpkin turkey chili) was gone by the time I got back.  Oh well, tried two other chilis that were just great.  Again, fun race and environment in a fun locale.

As the event was wrapping up, Jonny came out to say his good-byes, and told me to please tell Brady (who was now back in the car) that he said good-bye.  That was fortunate, because as soon as we got into the car, the first thing Brady asked was, "Did Jonny at least say good-bye to me?".  Fortunately, Brady stopped there with his questions and he did NOT ask if Chris said good-bye.

On the way home, redeemed part of my winnings (a DD card) for a mocha latte.  A sweet finish, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment