Sunday, April 19, 2020

Weekly Log 13-Apr to 19-Apr-2020: Snow in mid April!

Miscellaneous ramblings [in light of the pandemic, I'm going to keep them all positive]:
  • I'm saving money most mornings by brewing coffee at home instead of buying $3 to $6 coffees on work breaks.
  • I haven't filled my car's gas tank in over two weeks now.
  • My car insurance company sent out an e-mail that we'll be getting rebate checks soon due to far less usage (and less claims).
  • I took a chance on an unrecognized 401 number when answering my work phone (from home obviously) today, as I surmised [incorrectly] that it might be a colleague's cell phone.  When I was asked "May I speak with Joe?", I went into negative thoughts waiting for "That's OK, maybe you can help me with [money solicitation or scam of the day]".  My negativity was unfounded as the caller profusely apologized and wished me a good rest of my day.  Wow!
  • I received an upbeat inspirational eBlast from a MA-based senior manager today.  That's pretty typical of him, although today's was titled "Boston Strong" as it was seven years ago today of that fateful Boston Marathon.  His message resonated with me, as 1) that's the last Boston that I ran, 2) the irony that I'm finally signed up to run Boston again next Monday [which obviously won't happen] and 3) I loved his analogy of the '13 Boston Marathon and today's COVID-19, with "together we will get through this".  
Monday:  8
Pouring rain, gusts of wind up to 50mph.  Champlin Glacier Park.  So why run?  1) for the intrigue of running in a storm, 2) because likely we would be people free, and I'm trying hard to observe social distancing in this COVID-19 pandemic.

I'm not sure which of the three of us ended up with the most mud, but we were all pretty covered by the time we got back.  Brady's bath was first before he laid down or tracked mud anywhere further in the house.

Tuesday:  10
Burlingame / Kettle Pond / Kimball run with Matthew and Brady.  Burlingame southern (the state park part) was barricaded off, including the picnic area parking lot at the Li'l Rhody start, so we opted to park and start from the Kettle Pond visitor center, which is under the auspices of US Fish & Wildlife's Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge and remains open.

Just to digress (something I'm actually quite good at) for a moment, it's simultaneously interesting and perplexing to note the differences in policies between Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge (open) and Ninigret Park-Town of Charlestown (closed, despite having much more open space).

Ninigret Wildlife (federal):
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) NOTICE
During the current public health emergency, whenever possible, outdoor recreation sites at national wildlife refuges will remain open to the public.

Ninigret Park (town):

Why the disparity, especially since easier to practice social distancing in the town park where large open field areas exist, as opposed to the federal refuge with narrow trails?  At any rate, we were very happy to see the federal Kettle Pond area open, with signs indicating dogs allowed and social distancing must be followed.  Trails were in great shape.  I felt badly that I kept holding up Matthew, as he'd run ahead to the next major trail intersection and wait for me.  I'm pretty sure he had ample time for a picnic lunch while waiting for me each time.
Wednesday:  6
Canonchet Brook Preserve, Hopkinton.  Late afternoon run with Brady.  Zero human sightings!
Very easy paced run on less than easy
trail terrain
(Table Rock Trail)


A wet trail never bothers Brady.
On the way out, I shamefully wimped out by tiptoeing on
the sides; on the return I joined him and ran right through it.  Felt good!
(White trail close to start/finish on North Road)
First time I ever saw Brady put his head under water.
He was "fishing" for something on the stream bed.
(Table Rock Trail near Stubtown Road)
This stream at the dam was roaring today
Thursday:  8
Pulled an engorged tick out of my shoulder.  Argh.  How did I miss that one?  Used tweezers to get all of it, but sure hope this doesn't result in another bout of Lyme or Anaplasmosis or Babesiosis.

Bradford Preserve, Westerly.  Late afternoon run with Matthew and Brady.  Ran a few of the NEMBA trails, but mostly the classic trails that have been there for years.  Mildly annoying to see at least three places on trails I made where I had the trail deliberately go over rocks or tree trunks, that some bikers had rerouted the trail to go around on flat ground.  I just have to let it go.

Early on encounter with a very friendly dog that played with Brady, but a late run encounter with a guy with two mean dogs, the latter being leashed fortunately as they were snarly, barking dogs.  Overall good run, but there must've been ten cars in the parking lot.  Note to self if you're running here and you're looking to practice social distancing, get out here early or visit in stormy weather.
Well, it's official - as of today, Brady is Westerly's new resident.
Since he's staying with us indefinitely now, only made sense to apply
and dole out the whopping $6 fee.
Besides it's a requirement for him to wear a dog license in order to
go into state management areas, and we're certainly in there a lot.


Friday:  5
Late afternoon local run with Brady.  Roads, fields, trails.  No issues with social distancing, as I was able to avoid the sole hiker and sole biker I saw in Champlin Glacier Park.  Exiting the trails I heard my name called out, and had a brief but pleasant conversation with fellow WLT board member and marathoner Donna from about 20' away.

Saturday:  9
Wickaboxet and Tillinghast Management Areas, West Greenwich.  Got out of the car to falling snow!  Parked in Wickaboxet, as we figured Tillinghast would be closed with its association with Nature Conservancy and their message on website that all their preserves are closed due to COVID-19.  Ran a CCW loop on the perimeter of all the trails in the combined areas.  It turns out Tillinghast is open and just social distancing requirement signs posted, so it's all legit.  Fun run on a mid-April spring day that looked more like winter.
33°, but I guess Brady didn't feel cold, as he promptly
sat down in the snow!

Truly one of my favorite trail systems.
Very well marked and lots of pine needle
covered trails.


Missed seeing snow covered pines this winter!

The bog bridges were pretty dicey today!

Sunday:  12
First all-road road in more than five weeks.  That was when the announcement came out that Boston Marathon scheduled for tomorrow (April 20) would be deferred to September 14, and I stopped my marathon training.  Even that September 14 date seems in jeopardy now.

Run with Matthew from Vin Gormley trailhead on Kings Factory Road.  He stayed with me for 7.5 miles, and then surged ahead for his 15-mile version.  Surprised and happy to finish with a 6:58 average pace.  Overdressed in a long sleeve shirt (sunny, calm, 51°) and felt hot on the return.

Weekly mileage:  57

Weekly synopsis:  From a running perspective, a really good week, especially as evidenced by running all seven days with no issues, and highest mileage week since I abandoned my marathon training regime.

From a life perspective in these crazy times, just OK.  No complaints, as I'm healthy and haven't lost my job, and obviously many of my fellow Americans can't say the same to both.  Just feeling a little bit of cabin fever.  I'm doing my part in helping to "flatten the curve" by practicing good social distancing and not seeing anyone outside of my immediate household, and also not going out of state despite living in a border town, but I'm probably not doing as well with avoiding social isolation.  Also disappointing to go on our weekly grocery trip today, as 1) it was the first time face coverings were required for customers and employees alike, and 2) 1.5 months in now, there were so many staples that Stop & Shop was completely out of (orange juice, shredded cheese, eggs, canned tuna, etc).  We will get through this, and I have to keep up a positive attitude.
Weekly highlight:  The snow run at Wickaboxet / Tillinghast!

Weekly lowlight:  Holding up Matthew on his runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment