Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Weekly Log 27-Apr to 3-May-2020: Snakes Alive

By popular request (does one request make it popular?), here is my 20+ second video with my faithful companion.  The genesis is that each of us was asked to complete as a fun work assignment to illustrate our goals and social distancing during COVID-19.  Most employees' videos that I've seen so far are filmed indoors, a few are outdoors and creative such as shooting basketball hoops or teaching a child to ride a bike for the first time.  Of course, mine is running outdoors:
(April 25, Hidden Lake)



Monday:  0 run, 1 walk
Normal rest from running Monday.  And what a good day to take off.  After work, Brady took me took me out for a fast-paced walk around the neighborhood, as it was 41° and raining.
It's really good to see the RI Governor release a gradual easing of restrictions, with Phase I starting on May 9.
If we get to Phase III in June, with gatherings allowed up to 50 people, can we have capped fun runs with staggered
starts and whatever other needed restrictions?  Let's hope!
Tuesday:  8
Local roads and preserves with Matthew and Brady.  Nice, easy pace, before an unusually stressful work day getting pulled in different directions.

Wednesday:  8
Woody Hill trails in the morning with Matthew and Brady.  Absolutely no one there, which was just awesome.

Thursday:  9
Late afternoon from Chariho, south to Carter Preserve, a loop in Carter, and then back.  Sloshing stomach issues the latter half of the run.  Mornings are better to run, but with the pouring rain this morning (and forecast again tomorrow), opted to run in better weather.

Thus endeth the month of April.  227 miles run.  An interesting factoid is that this was the coldest April in RI in 45 years!

Friday:  5
May Day.  Pouring rain in the morning, followed by meetings almost straight through the day, from 8:30am to 5:00pm.  Getting such a late start for our run (at 5:30pm), we opted to cut the distance down and just run local roads.  First mile felt heavy and terrible, and then somehow the rest of the miles felt smooth and I ran an average 6:52 pace.

Saturday:  8
Easy run in Big River with Matthew and Brady.  Hadn't been here in a while.  As usual, ran the first few miles knowing exactly where I was and then took a wrong turn somewhere when trying to find the Foster's Folly trail, and was completely lost.  Fortunately this time I at least had a correct idea of the direction I needed to run in to get back on track.

There are some really fun trails in here through pine forests.  It was quite warm.  In fact, it was in the upper 60s when we finished.  I was glad we found two clean-looking streams, which Brady promptly jumped right into to cool off and get a drink.

Wow, this guy (or gal) is gorgeous!
Spied him right in front of my tractor while mowing.
Quickly shut the engine, and checked that I hadn't hit him
(fortunately, I hadn't).
----
(I think I previously mentioned the trauma I suffered when I cut up a snake
in a lawn mower decades ago while mowing the lawn at my parents' house.
That and the time I ran over a bunny made me feel just terrible.  I could never, ever
be a hunter.)

I'm always happy to find snakes.
So I promptly brought him to see Jana,
who for some reason was not nearly as happy.

Brady on the other hand was cautious, but very intrigued. 
I only wish Brady could tell me what he was thinking.
We texted these pics to Mark, who asked, "Did he eat the snake"?
No!


Sunday:  8
Trail run with the usual COVID-19 household trio, from Kettle Pond Visitors Center, as Burlingame State Park parking areas still closed, at least for one more week.  Slow getting started in the first mile, then felt pretty good.  Trails pretty much deserted.

Weekly mileage:  46

Weekly synopsis:  Another good week.  I have to remind myself to add occasional workouts, as someday, hopefully this summer, we'll actually have races.

Weekly highlight:  Despite getting lost [again], I would say the Big River trail run.  Really neat trails through pine forests.

Weekly lowlight:  Continued cancellation of races, especially ones I'm signed up for.  This week it was the Beach to Beacon 10K, which sold out in mere minutes, but I got in.  While I'm not at all surprised to see this cancelled, as it has over 6,000 participants, it's still disappointing.  If there is a silver lining, it's that not only are the entry fees being refunded, but participants will have guaranteed entry for 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment