Monday, October 26, 2020

Weekly Log 19-Oct to 25-Oct-2020: Pachaug Week

Miscellaneous ramblings:
  • Weirdest thing this week was when taking Brady out about 10pm one evening.  Opened the back door of the garage to walk across the backyard with him into the woods to take a final pee (him, not me) before bed.  Except that as soon as I opened the door he sprinted out across the dark lawn.  When I caught up with him, he had a small opossum in his mouth!  We had good eatin' for the next few days.  (Ok, everything except that last sentence is true.)
  • I'm not into Halloween this year.  I usually have a pretty decent display on the lawn by now, but this year, with the Governor asked that trick-or-treating be wrapped up before sundown and no contact between house hosts and the trick-or-treaters, I don't see the point of setting up my light display, or having my usual bonfire in the driveway while welcoming trick-or-treaters.  I suppose I'll still carve jack-o'lanterns, but it won't be the same.  :(
  • This year I voted by mail for the first time ever.  I'm not afraid of wearing a mask and voting indoors, but between the mask requirement and Jana having to wait over an hour to vote in person this year right here in little old Westerly, why go through the hassle?  Despite the nonsense being spewed nationally against mail voting, I found it safe, secure, convenient, and easy to track the status of my ballot through the whole process electronically:


Monday:  0
Planned day off.

Tuesday:  9
Rainy run in Ninigret.  Had the whole place to myself.  Well, except for the deer that I came up on while running Foster Cove Loop Trail.

Wednesday:  13
Ran a hilly mix in Charlestown from West Beach.  3 x 2-mile hard sets, with a mile in between.  Pace in low 6s, but hard to compare exactly as some uphill, some downhill, some flat.  Warm and very humid.  Ended up with nipple chafing.  Ouch!  But still glad I got it done, and hope this will pay dividends at a road half marathon next month.

Thursday:  4
Squeezed this in between a very busy meeting-laden day and a business team outing late afternoon in Narragansett.  Ran the Rhody 4-mile course with Brady.  It's in good shape, except a very small section in Kimball.  On the way back, Brady paused on the dock and looked at me.  I knew he wanted to jump into the pond, so why not?  Ran and jumped off the dock into the pond with him.  Maybe the last time for this year?

Friday:  5
Barn Island morning run with Brady.  Took it easy with a potentially tough race in the morning.

Saturday:  14
Pachaug Trail Half Marathon.  Separate write-up to follow.

Sunday:  11
Recovery run with Brady.  Ran to Avondale and caught up with some of the RWYC ("Run While You Can") crew.  Ran an easy pace with Jeff V and Jeff A (and Brady) for about five miles, and then after Watch Hill Lighthouse, peeled off to run the beach home.  Late in the run, I was feeling the residual soreness from yesterday's race.

Weekly mileage:  57

Weekly synopsis:  Truly a good running week, on a number of accounts:  I exceeded my mileage goal, I got in a good hilly workout, and I had a great half-marathon trail race (more on that later).

Weekly highlight:  The Pachaug Trail Half Marathon!

Weekly lowlight:  Pretty minor lowlight, but it would be just sleeping in on Wednesday and squandering valuable running time.  It's hard to enjoy the running when I have to keep looking at the time on my watch and hustle back to get to some meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment