Monday, January 18, 2021

Weekly Log 11-Jan to 17-Jan-2021: Low Motivation, Low Mileage

Monday:  0 run, 2 walk
Post-work walk in Champlin Glacier Preserve with Brady and Jana.

Tuesday:  6 run, 5 walk
Pre-CCC run from Barlow Preserve.  The road to the trailhead at Bradford Preserve was longer than I thought.  It was about a mile, and it meant running on tight shoulders and sucking in fumes for that mile.  The rest of the solo trail run was great.  A little cool at 19°, but I dressed for it and was fine.

Today's CCC assignment was to monitor the Grills Property for annual Land Trust Authority accreditation purposes.  This really consisted of a nice walk in the woods on the perimeter trails with three others, while looking for and documenting any issues (there weren't any except "buck thorn" invasives).

Wednesday:  0
Delayed my morning run and soon lost any window to run at all.  I'd like to blame work for getting in the way, but the reality is where there is a will there is a way.

Thursday:  6
Pre-work morning run at Bluff Point, with Brady.  A very popular CT state park, it was neat to visit early enough on a weekday morning when the parking lot was almost empty.  A few humans and dogs on the main carriage roads, but the single-track was delightfully completely empty.

Friday:  6
Late afternoon at Burlingame campground, with Brady.  Ran the old Brrr-lingame course; not the easiest to follow.  I noticed a white sign just beyond one of the sites.  I went to check it out and was very surprised to find that there was a historical cemetery there.  Eleven stones, all unmarked, but still pretty cool.  I had run past there so many times and never seen it before.  Perhaps it was just the diminished light that I was running in that made the white sign stand out more today?  Looked it up on the RI Historical Cemeteries site; it didn't add much except that it was the "Clark Family Lot".

Saturday:  9
Resumed the Border Patrol Challenge.  Ran Shelter Trail (Arcadia) as my 7th (of 19) route.  Parked at JB Hudson trailhead, as it gave me just shy of a mile warm-up/cool-down to the start/finish of Shelter Trail (OAB).  

I had never run the trail in the NW direction before, but I figured I knew the intersections with dirt roads, which it turns out I did.  Even though parts of the trail seemed unfamiliar to me going in this direction, it was very well blazed (white).  The only part I hadn't prepared for and that really threw me off was what to do when I came to the Penny Cutoff section, where all of a sudden there are white blazes in two different trail directions.  I slowed to a stop, let out a few choice words (I should've covered Brady's young ears), and took a guess that I should go right.  Whew, fortunately that ended up being correct!

I turned around where the trail ends at Breakheart Trail, and ran a slight negative split back.  I was panting the whole way, which I guess shows I was working hard.  Despite that, the run went by pretty quickly.  I finished the 7-mile OAB run in 53:10, taking three minutes off the Strava OAB segment.

Sunday:  4
Easy running day between two hard days.  Slow jog on roads and fields around the house.
This was actually my proudest accomplishment of the day:
I rented this "Rug Doctor" steam cleaner for the day, and
for a small inexpensive machine, I was impressed with the results.

And here's the dirty water being discharged.  Pretty gross, eh?
This thing really works.  Took me a few hours to clean the second floor carpeting,
but well worth it.  We should really do this every couple of years or so.
Our first floor is all hardwoods, but we cleaned the area throw rugs as well.
One of them that we just thought was dark gray turns out to be light gray
in color.  Ugh.  And we have a rule of no shoes in the house, mostly
following Jana's Asian upbringing.  Good thing; I can only imagine it would be even
worse with regular shoe wearing.

Weekly mileage:  31 run, 7 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Pretty pathetic mileage, and well below the arbitrary weekly goal of 55 I set for this year.  Hopefully this will be one of my lowest, if not the lowest, week of 2021.

Weekly highlight:  Running the Shelter Trail hard and doing fairly well.

Weekly lowlight:  Very low mileage, and motivation wasn't that high either.

No comments:

Post a Comment