Sunday, February 21, 2021

Weekly Log 15-Feb to 21-Feb-2021: Another Winter Wonderland Week

Monday:  7 run, 2 walk
AM:  Every wake up in the morning and can't make up your mind about where you're going to run?  Preference was trails, but there was a lot of snow and everything was melting and wet and the temp was above freezing all night, so that's out.  How about a beach run?  Looked up the tide chart and found we're just coming up on high tide.  Ugh.  Ended up running local roads with Brady, doing my best to pick quiet back roads wherever possible.

PM:  Having the day off (Presidents' Day), I figured the three of us (Jana, Brady, me) could go for a walk at one of the local preserves.  We did, despite the drizzly weather, and wet sloppy snow.  It was near deserted at Barn Island, likely due to aforementioned conditions.  The downside to Presidents' Day is my next holiday off from work isn't for 3 1/2 months:  Memorial Day.  A VERY long stretch.

Tuesday:  7
Post-work mixer.  Roads out towards Watch Hill, and beach back.  A balmy 45° afternoon!  On the beach on the return part of the run, I could see something in his mouth and I feared it was a dead animal or something, but it was a tennis ball he found!  I figured that just like sticks, he'd end up dropping up pretty quickly and abandoning it.  I was wrong.  He carried it for the two miles or so of the rest of the run on beach and roads, all the way home.  So when did he finally drop the ball?  As soon as we got into the yard, as he was indicating to me he wanted to play catch.  Fair enough!  I guess he earned that ball.  

Wednesday:  3
Aborted my run after slipping awkwardly on an ice covered trail in Champlin Glacier Preserve.  Lower back felt it, and I just ran easily to get out of the woods and then head home.  In the hundreds of times I have run in Champlin, this was the first time ever that I saw people playing pond hockey on a kettle pond, so that was pretty cool!

Thursday:  7
3+ inches of fresh snow.  Got out late afternoon.  Stayed on roads today after yesterday's mishaps, and avoided snow plows by running mostly on back roads.  There was one road in Misquamicut where Brady and I had to run up on someone's yard to stay far away from a plow, but otherwise, it was all good.  Not a soul on the beach today.  Go figure.

Friday:  5
An additional 2" of fresh snow!  It's actually been snowing for about 36 hours, but just so light.  Snowshoe run in Champlin Glacier Preserve.  About 5" of fresh snow.

Saturday:  4 snowshoe hike, 1 walk
AM:  Westerly Land Trust snowshoe hike in Crandall Preserve.
Making fresh tracks in the snow.

Just beautiful out there with the all the fresh snow.


PM:  Avondale Preserve walk with Jana and Brady.  Snow packed down nicely there.

Sunday:  9
Off to George Washington Management Area in Glocester, RI to get in another Border Patrol Challenge.  Had no idea what to expect with conditions, but it turned out to be quite favorable.  Did a very short warmup just to get my bearings on where I would be starting, first trail turnoff, markers, and return trail, and then put on the YakTrax and got to work.
Not actually part of the course, but right near start/finish.
On the frozen Bowdish Reservoir.  Since snowmobiles
had been on recently, I figured it was safe for Brady and me.

So much snow in the woods here!  I estimate at least one foot.
This section was a little soft, but most of it was packed down
quite nicely.


A nice packed down section near the start.


Ran a cool-down on snowshoes on the road.
It was well packed down with vehicles, including snowmobiles.
I wish we had roads like this around my house!

What a great run!  It was 21° at start, but I was quickly sweating like a pig out there with my heart rate up working hard on the run.

Weekly mileage:   38 run (6 on snowshoes), 3 snowshoe hike, 3 walk

Weekly synopsis:  As I mentioned last week, I'm less concerned about not hitting my mileage in recent weeks, and have no desire to sacrifice winter snow runs just to achieve an arbitrary mileage goal with no road races in sight for me.  I'm really enjoying this extended winter snow cover here in RI, and lamenting the upcoming week's forecast of rain and temps up into the 50s.

Weekly highlight:  Today's George Washington snow run, for sure.  One of my best snow runs ever.  Deep snow out there, but overall well packed down.  Just beautiful!

Weekly lowlight:  Slipping awkwardly on ice covered trails midweek.

No comments:

Post a Comment