Friday, June 18, 2021

Niantic Bay 10K 2021

 


Niantic (East Lyme), CT
Friday, June 11, 2021

My third running of the Niantic Bay 10K.  In my inaugural run in 2013, I ran in 37:53, and then in 2014, I improved to 37:34, but that was way back when I was "only" 49 years old.  

Once we learned that this race was going to happen live, our merry team of the WTAC Clamshell Committee decided this would be our June race.  Dave Goodrich texted me when the race opened up and clearly warned me that there would be only two waves of 50 each, so sign up quickly.  Despite that, I procrastinated and ended up with only being able to sign up for the waiting list.  Obviously, since I'm writing this post, I did get in, and as COVID restrictions eased, they also added a 3rd wave.

Walkers started at 5:30pm and runners at 6:00, 6:10, and 6:20pm.  Each wave had a different check-in location, and runners were asked not to arrive any earlier than 5:30pm.  I followed this to a tee, and we pulled into McCook Park at 5:32pm, only to see my teammates (and many others) deftly ignored this unnecessary rule and were ready to start their warmup.  They were kind enough to wait for me, and fortunately the check in was very quick and Jana took my glass (entry give-away) back to the car, while I joined the group for a warm-up.

It was funny in retrospect to see that fellow teammate JV had billed this race on Strava with comments of "perfect running weather".  Sure, much of the heat and humidity from midweek had fortunately dissipated, but it was still 71° and sunny as we arrived.  Admittedly I'm probably on the opposite end of the spectrum, as perfect running weather to me is probably about 48°.  Anyway, different strokes (remember that show?) for different folks, and it was good to see JV and so many other WTAC runners come out for this race.

The race is an out-and-back to the southern end of a peninsula.  Fortunately, there is no cone turnaround and instead you have a small block that you run around, which is nice.  Very similar to Strides 5K in Waterford in that aspect.
Nice looking beach right near the starting line,
just before the start.
(All pics by Jana)

Out and back with a small lollipop
at the southern end of the peninsula

Run out:  At the starting line, no masks, and no social distancing.  Woo hoo!  Chatted with several folks on the front line.  JV and another commented on how big and heavy my watch is.  There is truth to that.  Not in a hurry to replace my functional Fenix 2, though, until it dies.  Seven years strong!  
Wave 1, waiting to get started.
Look Ma, no masks and no social distancing!

At the start, there was a long pause on "Go" and technically I think I false started because of that, but only by a second or so.  Dave led the Wave 1 runners out, and after 1/4 mile or so, I found myself in 8th place in the wave.  (Unfortunately Nick was running in Wave 2, as the waves were unseeded.)
Awkwardly ahead of Dave with my false start.  I wouldn't
see Dave for very long, less than a mile to be sure.  On the other
hand, the girl on my right was stuck with me for a while.

For the whole way down, I ran in a trio:  a 25-year old woman, a guy who could be in my age group but more likely was in his 40s.  Occasionally one of us would pull ahead (like me on the downhills only) but we would always quickly regroup.  I ran the first mile in 6:01 and second mile slightly faster (slightly downhill also!) in 5:59.  But by the 3rd mile I was feeling quite warm from the sun on the open roads, and was slowing down.  6:17!  Ugh.  I had bypassed the water stops thus far, but was feeling dehydrated and took a water at the next stop at the end of the peninsula.  Due to COVID, there were no cups, but instead a small plastic water bottle (with caps taken off by gloved volunteers) was handed to runners.  A bit of waste, but I get it.  I took the bottle, took two swigs, spit them both out, threw the bottle and continued on.  As we approached the Mile 3 marker, the other guy running with us was breathing noticeably harder than me, and the girl had pulled quite a bit ahead of both of us.

Run back:  Fortunately, at the block where the course turns around, this was heavily shaded.  Between the shade and having rinsed my dry mouth, I got a second wind.  Turning back onto the main road heading back towards the start, it's also a positive mental feeling that you're on your way back.  I am also feeling encouraged as runners are coming towards me now, many with positive cheering.

After just half a mile, I surprise myself by catching back up to the lead woman.  The guy that was running with us has dropped back.  My splits return to a 6:04 and 6:05 (Miles 4 and 5, respectively) and I'm sure it's mentally helpful to see all the runners coming towards me now, in Waves 1, 2, and 3.  I'm running just behind or adjacent to the lead woman, and feeling pretty good now.  The final mile features a small hill of about 50', but it's apparently enough to slow me down, as my pace drops to a 6:14.  I push it in to the finish, with the lead woman passing me for the final time, as I'm not about to outkick someone less than half my advanced age.
Final steps before finish.


Final results:  38:16, 11th overall of 129, 1st in age group.  Full results here.

Caught up with Dave (2nd in wave, but 5th overall as the three waves were all unseeded) and chatted with for a bit and then with SNERRO principals Pete and Way before coming back to watch Wave 2 finishers.  We have a quality timer now in Rat Race Timing, but I do miss the fun factor that SNERRO brings, including announcing each runner and playing good music (AC/DC was playing as I finished!) at the start/finish.  Went up to the lead woman and apologized for panting just behind her for most of the race, lest her Strava title be "Stalked by a creepy old man the whole way".  About five of us went for a cool-down and catch-up before parting ways.  A great turnout by WTAC and a fun event overall.
Just part of the dozen of WTAC runners this evening.

PS - There was an award for winning my age group, which turns out to be a gift certificate to the lead sponsor, Coastal Crab.  That sounded pretty cool when I erroneously assumed it was a seafood restaurant specializing in crab, but once I learned it's actually a clothing store and you have to go back to Niantic to pick up the certificate as well (no awards ceremony due to COVID), I'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment