Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Weekly Log 26-Jul to 1-Aug-2021: Seventy

Monday:  5
Normally Monday is my day off, but I'm looking to build up mileage a bit this week.  Easy trail run in Burlingame North.  I was expecting a barrage of deerflies, but it was mosquitos that were unbelievably out in masses.  At one point, there was a cloud of at least 50 mosquitos trailing Matthew's head.

Tuesday:  8
'Round the Pond road run with Matthew.  Finished up with just enough time to shower and grab something to eat before heading to the hospital.

Wound care treatment - Week 15:  Bloody.  Painful.  Depressing.  The wound has resumed shrinking, but barely.  Trying hard to stay positive and keep the faith.

Wednesday:  11
AM:  Eight mile Burlingame run with Brady.  Ran the Rhody course in reverse.  Obnoxious mosquitos; there must have been a cloud of about forty trailing Brady.  Deerflies not terrible, but they're still out there for a few more weeks.  Nobody out on the trails.  Finished the run at Watchaug Pond boat launch, where Brady was happily swimming and jumping off the dock.  I took off my shoes and socks to at least wade in the water while he frolicked.  There was an older woman sitting in a chair on the dock reading a book and Brady shook off getting her wet.  I apologized, but she just laughed and said she was enjoying watching him [Brady] play in the water.

PM:  Penultimate Fun Run 5K of the season.  At the starting gun, Tommy 5K asked me what pace I was looking to run.  I knew I was looking to run this fairly hard, so I said about 6-flat pace.  Mile 1 split was 5:43!  I was feeling really good, so I kept going.  Unfortunately, Tommy dropped back a bit at this point (I would later learn he was feeling a little weak from having given blood earlier today).

Dave Goodrich was ahead of me, so that gave me someone to focus on to push myself.  I never caught him, but narrowed the gap on Crandall Ave and pushed hard the rest of the way in.  Crandall is the longest straight section of the Fun Run at 1/2 mile and it just seems to go on "forever".  Mile 2 5:50 and Mile 3 5:47.  Overall time 18:24 - fastest Fun Run time in seven years!  Feeling really good about that.

Thursday:  10
Barefoot beach run with Matthew and Brady.  For a 6:30am start, there were many more people (and dogs) than I expected.  Near the turnaround at East Beach, Watch Hill, there were about 40 teens running very short wind-sprints on the beach, as coaches whistled and barked orders.  I was thinking these are very short sprints for a fall cross country team, and no offense but there were quite a few shirtless guys that let's just say weren't skinny.  Then on one of the coaches' shirts I spied a "Stonington Football" insignia.  Ah, now that makes sense.

There were two (fortunately leashed) German shepherds that snarled and growled at Brady, but all of the rest of the dozen or so dogs out there were super friendly.  Finished my run and really wanted to go for a dip in the ocean.  I could tell Brady did as well, and since the water was very placid with no waves, I felt I wouldn't slip and get my head wet, so I waded out waist-deep and walked around while Brady followed me swimming.  At least I could get someone (somedog?) out for a swim vicariously, if not myself.

Friday:  8
Trails at Woody Hill with Brady.  First time running here in a while.  I brought my deerfly defense (deerfly patches) and was ready for the onslaught of the nasty pests, but it never materialized.  Clouds of mosquitos in the wet areas, especially running through Wahaneeta.

Saturday:  18
Had planned out a long run from/to Fort Adams in Newport.  Little did I realize that the Jazz Festival is going on for a second consecutive weekend, until we saw signs indicating parking $25 and entrance only allowed for advance ticket holders.  Went to nearby Rogers High School and improvised.  I warmed up two miles solo before Matthew joined me for 16 more on a CCW shoreline tour of most of Newport, including the Cliff Walk.  The Cliff Walk was a little busy, especially the northern end, but actually not nearly as bad as I feared.  Think I only had to come to a complete stop twice.

The entire run my calves hurt and I figured they would quickly loosen up, but they didn't.  I can only guess they were tight from the beach run two days ago?

Sunday:  10
Trail run with Matthew and Brady at Burlingame.  More nagging calf pain.  Vin Gormley, plus Burlingame tacked on.  About halfway through, I tripped on a root in the trail, went off trail, and impaled my leg into a branch sticking out of a log.  Ouch.  Not much blood, but it did hurt. 

Weekly mileage:  70!

Weekly synopsis:  My biggest mileage week of the year, so really happy with that.  Hopefully the calf pain/discomfort is just fleeting.

Weekly highlight:  Running an 18:24 in the Fun Run 5K.

Weekly lowlight:  None.

No comments:

Post a Comment