Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Weekly Log 20-Dec to 26-Dec-2021: Christmas Week

Monday:  5
11th annual Christmas Light Run.  Pretty sure this was the first edition from T5K's house and running the Weekapaug area.  Group of nine is about the largest we have had.  Good conversations, good Christmas lights, and a nice catch-up afterwards over beverages and snacks.
Group of nine.  Chilly waiting around for run start,
but warmed up once we got going.

Thanks Tommy for hosting and keeping the tradition going!

Tuesday:  8 run, 2 walk
Workout.  Thinking it was my only window of the day, I went to CCC an hour early to run from Barlow Preserve.  First half on roads, second half on trails in Woody Preserve.  After a mile warm-up, ran a 2-mile block (6:10, 6:06), one mile easy, and then a hard mile on dirt roads in 6:21, before a 3-mile cooldown on trails, mostly single-track.

After a grueling CCC session cleaning up a really neat stone wall, we had a small holiday gathering and lunch with CCC colleagues.  Very enjoyable and appreciated.  Spent the afternoon finishing up year-end work tasks, before signing off until January 3.  Looking forward to twelve consecutive days off!

Wednesday:  12
First full day of winter.  With the 2nd annual Border Patrol Challenge ("BPC") running from Winter Solstice to Spring Equinox, I went with Brady to Arcadia to run two of the 19 challenges:  Escoheag Trail OAB and Ben Utter OAB.  

Parked at Midway and went for a three-mile warmup.  Temps 39° and cloudy at start, but along the warm-up, it started to rain lightly.  Hmm.  Will I be able to get both attempts in, or should I bail on one of them?  What a defeatist attitude!  

Escoheag Trail was a new addition this year, and I was only familiar with the eastern section of the trail, connecting Mt Tom Trail to Breakheart Trail.  The western section was not as well established and I really had to pay attention to white blazes at trail intersections.  I followed the trail properly, and then when the trail exited onto a dirt road and parking lot where a truck was parked, I saw the double-blaze trail end sign, and turned around.  Only problem is while that still seems like the end of the Escoheag Trail, the course on the BPC website indicates that it ends further down the gravel road.  A little confusing to me, but that's fine; I'll be back.  When I do return, I think I'll park at that far end I'm not familiar with so I don't screw it up again!

After finishing the Escoheag Trail, I paused to catch my breath and let Brady get a drink from the river at base of Ben Utter Trail, but didn't dally long as I started to get cold.  As with Escoheag Trail, Brady would alternate running ahead of me, then slowing down to let me catch up and pass him.  I pushed reasonably hard, but there were sections of bridges and rocks that I took a little more cautiously as they were slippery.  I was thus pleasantly surprised to see that my time this year was 20 seconds faster than last year.  The 2.5 mile cooldown was very unpleasant:  cold and steady rain now.  I was drenched, but only brought one towel, so I used it to dry Brady off and then just turned up the heat and heated seats and bought a hot coffee on the ride home.  One Border Patrol Challenge down ... eighteen to go!

Thursday:  6
Ran at Goddard State Park, Warwick, with Matthew.  Had just under an hour's window on our way to pick up Mark from his flight in from Florida for Christmas.  Chilly with a brisk wind off the water, but warmed up on some of the interior trails.

Once at the airport, waited an hour and a half for Mark's COVID test.  Long, long line given the Omicron surge and health care staff shortages, but it was the right thing to do given so much COVID around and him flying in from a state that doesn't exactly promote COVID precautions.  (Test was negative.)

Friday:  7
Christmas Eve.  Bradford Preserve and Woody Hill snow run with Mike B (and Brady!).  It was actually his idea to run trails!  Hit some of the highlights, including his requests:  the stone fort, Woody Hill Marsh, and Hansel & Gretel.  On the way back, we ran into Jeff Huckle, and caught up very briefly.  Hadn't seen him in years.
Falling snow!  Fun!


Saturday:  6
Christmas Day.  31° and freezing rain when I started.  Was surprised to actually see a couple out in this weather, and as they came closer in the Winnapaug Farm Preserve, I recognized them from CCC.  Didn't stop long as I would get cold and Brady would get bored.  Felt a little warmer when we got into the woods at Champlin.  Pretty miserable weather overall, but made the best of it.
Some of my new loot:
a replacement pair of trail shoes (I got over 400 miles
on my last pair of NB Summit Unknown),
two historical books from Nathaniel Philbrick.
Not pictured are new running gloves and hat.

Sunday:  8
Boxing Day.  Newport Cliff Walk run with Matthew.  Have done this a few years now (3 out of the past 4 Boxing Days, to be specific.)  Rocks were wet, but not slippery.  People were out, but not crowded.  Felt cold at start as we were directly into a headwind, but actually were a little protected once on the Cliff Walk.  Felt good on run.
At First Beach (Easton's Beach) -
this is really cool!


Weekly mileage:  51 run, 2 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Still not the mileage I was looking for, but at least trending in the right direction.  Next week target is 60+, with one long run (which is subjective, but to me, 16+).

Weekly highlight:  Christmas Eve snow run at Bradford Preserve and Woody Hill.  Just love snow runs!

Weekly lowlight:  Another week not hitting my mileage targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment