Thursday, September 8, 2022

Weekly Log 29-Aug to 4-Sep-2022: Consistency

I have pretty much locked down my fall race schedule, at least as far as mid-November.  I'll certainly consider a Thanksgiving run as well as something around Christmas.  There are so many fall races I would like to run, but it's tough to run those AND a fall marathon and most of my dates are full now:  2022 Remaining Races .  Next year I need to do a better job of planning well in advance.  Maybe that should be a goal of mine?

Monday:  9 run, 2 walk
Westerly, RI.  Tired and slept in a bit after a couple of vigorous mountain runs in Maine the previous two days.  Ran the typical 'Round the Pond run with a bit of added mileage.  Started off in the mid-7s for pace, but the last few miles I felt pretty good and subconsciously picked it up into the mid-6s.
Sense of accomplishment:  while I was disappointed to have our
short Maine camping trip end so early and to put away the camping
equipment likely for the year, I took the long overdue task of organizing our
camping equipment in the cellar.  I should have taken a before picture
as well, but it was a jumbled mess of stuff piled on top of each
other on the basement floor in no particular order.  Went to Home Depot
and bought shelving, cleared and swept the "camping equipment area"
of the basement, set up the shelving and only saved the camping stuff
we've actually used in the past few years.  So easy to do, but it's much easier
to just be a status quo packrat.  Now that I'm retired, if I spend even 
a couple of hours per week on tackling other unkempt areas, I'll 
make some real progress!

The two miles was walking a neighbor's dog (with Brady), as they were away.

Tuesday:  8
Groton, CT.  Run from Eastern Point Beach with Jeff Anderson.  My first time ever here.  Run included the course of the upcoming Groton City Brew Run (I'm not running it, but helping Jeff A) and some other scenic local roads.  Finished up the run with a dip at the beach.  Refreshing, but unfortunately a lot of eel grass similar to Niantic Bay.

Wednesday:  6
South Kingstown, RI.  A very humid run at DuVal with Brady.  Thought I was running decently, until I saw my pace post-run was 10:14.  Yes, I know it's hilly, but that is unusually slow.  Chalk it up to the humidity?  Went for a post-run dip at Watchaug Pond with Brady.

Thursday:  12
West Greenwich, RI.  A mix of trails, dirt roads, and asphalt roads.  Mid-day with Matthew.  Humidity was low at 49%, but being sunny and close to 80°, I just felt weak and dehydrated.  The route was fine except for a long washed out double-track section labeled on maps as "Plain Road", but that moniker seems overused in multiple locations.

Friday:  16
Westerly, RI.  Typical coastal route from the house, including Weekapaug, Misquamicut, and Watch Hill.  Ran first five with Matthew, then solo as he continued into a workout.  Had to remind myself to back off the pace a few times, as I have New Haven 20K in three days.  Had a few sub-7 miles, and averaged 7:06.  Still faster than I was looking to go.

Saturday:  10
Westerly, RI.  Start of Labor Day weekend.  Still a few weeks left of summer officially, before the Fall Equinox on September 22.  With summer waning, I will not miss the tourists, the deer flies, the heat, or the humidity.  What I will miss is open water swims and dunks in local waters and wearing singlets on all my runs.

Today's WTAC group run was six (seven, including Brady), and we ran the beach at low tide from Weekapaug Breachway.  Nick, Matthew, Brady, and I split off early and ran the ten together.  Nick set a fast pace and pushed the last mile hard; otherwise it was a good conversational run.  Obligatory post-run dip in the ocean followed by a nice get-together at the Innlet, where we ran into the Bousquet family.
Group selfies is not a skill I possess.  Fortunately,
Heather stepped in with my own phone and made it look easy.

Post-run, I noticed I had a new blister on my left foot.  I ran ten miles barefoot just two weeks prior and had no issues, so I'm not sure what exactly was the irritant this time, but nonetheless I did have a blister.  And a painful one.  Right on the ball of my left foot.  Hurt every time I walked on it or put any kind of pressure.  Read several different recommendations on the web, almost all of them advising to leave the blister alone to heal.  But it hurts!  And my race is less than 48 hours away.  Just before bed, I read an article on the respected WedMD site that advised if any pain, you can "drain" the blister.  I followed these instructions and instantly felt relief.  Which beyond the physical relief also gave me mental relief.

Sunday:  5
Charlestown, RI.  Easy run with Brady on Burlingame North loop, and then down to North Camp Beach, where we played in the water for a bit.  Since I had one of Brady's balls in the car, upon finishing I took him to the nearby boat launch to play some more.  I tired out from throwing the ball before he tired from retrieving it.  

Weekly mileage:  66 run, 2 walk

Weekly synopsis:  A good week overall, as it checks all the boxes:  mileage ✅, long run ✅.  Even got in a group run and a number of post-run swims (dunks really).  I have a lot of races upcoming, but primary focus needs to be on the marathon that's six weeks away.  Accordingly, both next week and two weeks thereafter I'll have 20+ runs, each with a MP block.

Weekly highlight:  Saturday beach group run, despite the resulting blister.

Weekly lowlight:  I'm sure I could find something, but nothing substantive.

No comments:

Post a Comment