Friday, October 21, 2022

Weekly Log 10-Oct to 16-Oct-2022: Detroit Marathon Week

Monday:  5
Westerly, RI.  Easy five in Wahaneeta and Woody Hill with Brady.  Felt like going longer, but that's the taper plan for today, and pretty much this whole week going into the marathon.

Tuesday:  2 walk, 6 run
Westerly, RI.
AM:  It's Tuesday, which means it's CCC (Coffee & Clearing Club) day.  Second consecutive week working at Grills Preserve, getting it ready for the Grills Trail Race.  A lot of volunteers today meant a lot of progress on cleaning up overgrowth on the trails.

PM:  Between getting home from CCC about 1pm, needing to finish up a kitchen sink project, and being registered for a cemetery tour at 5:15pm, I decided my best run solution for today was to combine a run with the cemetery tour.

Wednesday:  8
Charlestown, RI.  Burlingame Campground roads.  With the campground having closed for the year just two days earlier, from now until mid-April it's a great time to run the campground roads, as they're behind closed gates now.  I was surprised to see any cars at all, but there was some sort of gathering and presentation going on at the Legiontown fields.  There was smoke coming out of some machine, and I later learned it was an EPA Method 9 "Smoke School".  Had to Google that one!

At any rate, this was my "Dress Rehearsal" for the upcoming marathon.  In four days. Gulp.  In the middle of the run, I ran two miles at race pace (target 6:20, actual pretty close at 6:10-6:15).  It was in my race shoes, but still felt hard for some reason.  I fretted over how could I possibly carry this pace for 26 miles (or even 20).  Time will tell in four days.

Thursday:  6
Westerly, RI.  Mid-afternoon run with Brady at Grills.  Ran the Westerly side of the course to check out any required remaining maintenance work, and sent along my suggestions to the Land Trust for next Tuesday's CCC crew, as I will be out-of-state (out of country, actually) next week.

Friday:  6
White Haven, PA.  Drove from Westerly to Cleveland metro area today.  Midway through we stopped and ran a very small portion of the Delaware & Lehigh Trail.  This section was flat and easy crushed gravel with nice river views.  Two days to marathon.  5 miles easy + (5 x 100 meter) strides.
Lehigh River, which we ran along today

Lehigh Tannery remains (end of run):
All that remains of the tannery, after a fire in 1875.

Saturday:  4 run, 1 walk
AM:  Lakewood, OH.  Final run before Detroit Marathon.  Ran easy on flat paved recreational paths in the Cleveland Metroparks system.  Checked out and drove to Sylvania, Ohio, and had lunch with my cousin and 88-year old aunt (my Dad's sister) before continuing on to Detroit.

PM:  Detroit, MI.  Just over a mile of walking to expo, checking out starting line, market, and back to the hotel.

Sunday:  28
Detroit, MI.  Detroit Marathon!!!  Full write-up to follow soon.

Weekly Mileage:  63 run, 3 walk

Weekly Synopsis:  I'll leave the details to my separate marathon write-up, but what a week!  My marathon result exceeded my expectations, and my post-marathon soreness was much less than Philly.

Weekly Highlight:  Detroit Marathon, of course!

Weekly Lowlight:  Maybe leg stiffness from the drive out?  That's my issue, as I opted to drive instead of fly in order to be able to visit relatives while out there and sightsee on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment