Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Weekly Log 17-Apr to 23-Apr-2023: Inaugural Visits to Neutaconkanut and Flat River Reservoir

Monday:  5
Westerly, RI.  Recovery run at Bradford Preserve / Woody Hill with Brady, before coming home to watch the Boston Marathon on TV.

Tuesday:  2 walk, 7 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  CCC.  Finally blazed new trail at Barlow-2, through a cedar forest and along a peninsula.

PM:   Westerly, RI.  Track workout!  Not really my thing to go around and around and around, but with others there, the time went by quickly.  Justin is running these sessions Tuesdays at 5:30pm at WHS track, and husband/wife team Paul and Kate showed up as well.  Since it's light out in the evenings now and I hadn't gotten a run in yet, I decided to join.  4 x 800 (2:48, 2:53, 2:42, 2:40), followed by 2 x 200 (34, 34).  The 800s were tiring, but the 200s were pure exhausting.

Wednesday:  8
Charlestown, RI.  Vin Gormley loop with Marc Doherty and Brady, followed by a coffee catch-up at sponsor Dave's Coffee.  While this is not a technical course, there are a few short tech sections and I was pleasantly surprised that for the first time in two months, I had no issues.  I think this bodes well for resuming trail running post May 7.  Two months post-injury, the swelling in my right ankle is finally almost gone.

Thursday:  4 run, 5 walk
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Short and easy run at Bradford Preserve.  Also used the opportunity to check out part of the surveyor-proposed alternate trail to resolve the long-standing wetlands violation issue.  I could follow some of it, but really need to come back with the surveyors to be certain.

AM:  Exeter, RI.  I've been leading about one walk per month in the WLT Thursday hike series, with the goal of half the hikes on WLT properties, and the other half in other local preserved properties.  My choice today was Breakheart Pond.  I didn't how many would make the trek "all the way" to Exeter, but we ended up having 9 humans and 2 canines and that all worked out well.  Pretty easy and mostly flat route.  Many expressed how pretty it was at Breakheart Pond and trails along Breakheart Brook; only one in the group (besides myself) had been here.
Leading Brady to a drink at Breakheart Brook,
incidentally one of my swimming holes here.
Don't know why the wood is piled here where
I usually take off my shoes and socks in summer.

North end of Breakheart Pond

Short break at the small stream and
waterfall on southern end of Breakheart Pond


Friday:  5 walk, 5 run
AM:  Providence, RI.  This would make for a long day away from home, but as this is my final scheduled week of mapmaking this coming week, I opted to meet up with author John K on two of the properties to get clarity on his routes.  
This was our first walk.  I had seen this pop up from time on 
my feed of Strava followers, but first time I had been here in person.
2 mile walk, with moderate hills.

Distant views of downtown Providence

At the "peak", open fields and an old platform for
bandstands, 296' elevation.  Highest point in Providence.


AM:  Providence, RI.  Second walk was 3 miles on dirt trails around a series of ponds at Roger Williams Park.  Jana and I used to come here and bring the kids to the zoo when they were younger.  I remember the polar bear exhibit in particular, but don't know if that's still around.
This was essentially the route that we followed.

Sri Chinmoy.
Spiritual leader and active runner.

Temple to Music
Fun Fact:  each marble piece was quarried in Vermont
and shipped by train to RI

PM:  Coventry, RI.  Washington Secondary Bike Path.  Last month, I ran part of this path in West Warwick.  Someone commented on my Strava post that the bike path is better with less road crossings to the west, so that's what I tried today.  I parked at Coventry Town Hall, although in retrospect, an even better parking location exists just 3/4 mile to the east with grass fields and more importantly, a porta-jon.  
Very pretty area along the Flat River Reservoir in Coventry.


Saturday:  9
Exeter, RI.  With Brady.  Usual Arcadia dirt road loop, with the exception of where I zoned out on Mt Tom Trail and missed my turn onto Blitzkrieg.

Sunday:  7
East Lyme, CT.  Rocky Neck Relay in the rain.  Separate post to follow.

Weekly mileage:  45 run, 12 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Low mileage week.  In retrospect, I probably should have skipped today's relay, and gotten in a MLR this weekend.  It's too easy to overload on the races as there are so many now every weekend.

Weekly highlight:  Probably the short run on the bike path in Coventry.  Don't think I had ever run on this stretch before, and my Strava heat map seems to confirm that.   So nice to have so few road crossings, and the few I crossed were very minor dead end roads at that.  Surprisingly pretty area.

Weekly lowlight:  Again, no mileage and no MLR.

No comments:

Post a Comment