Monday, June 5, 2023

Weekly Log 29-May to 4-Jun-2023: Return of the Fun Runs!

Monday:  14
Exeter, RI.  Actually, most of this run was in adjacent Voluntown, Connecticut, but started and ended on the RI side of Beach Pond.  With Brady.  Took a pack so we'd both have water, although he had plenty of stream and lake options.  Headed south on Tippecansett to Freeman Trail to Hidden Lake.  Also visited Green Fall Pond, where we saw a few hikers out, but not as many as I expected on a beautiful Memorial Day morning.
Hidden Lake


Green Fall Pond


Returned via Nehantic to Pachaug-Nehantic Crossover to Pachaug.  Hadn't run that section in a few years.  Good overall run.  It's nice to have options like this nearby.
Fun trails to run



Tuesday:  2 walk, 8 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  CCC.  Today's assignment was raking rocks and removing them from the Wahaneeta field.  This was back-breaking work, at least for me.  The field used to have grass on it, but after fill from the pond was placed on the field during a dredging operation last summer, it's just been hard dirt, sand, and rocks.  My lower back hurt that evening, and my hands calloused and blistered.  I don't think this job is for me with my white-collar soft hands and weak upper body, but fortunately there are plenty of other assignments.

PM:  Charlestown, RI.  Solo run in the sun at Quonnie.  Sun screen and hat is the norm for me now as we head towards summer.  Surprisingly quiet at Quonnie today; I guess most of the tourists have yet to arrive.  Easy run in the low 7s.

Wednesday:  9
AM:  Charlestown, RI.  5 miles on campground trails with Brady and Matthew.  Easy effort with Fun Runs on tap.  Highlight was a dip into Watchaug Pond.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  4 miles at Fun Run Week #1 (including a mile warmup).  I generally get bored easily with running the same route week after week, which is one of the reasons I typically don't run many of the other Fun Run series on a regular basis.  But this is one is different somehow.  Sure, as President of WTAC, I feel some sense of obligation to attend.  But that's not it.

The vibe is just a lot of fun for me.  We had 80 runners total (or 60 if you exclude the kids' run) and I know many of them in person.  I enjoy catching up with so many of the folks.  I made it a point to talk to Jim Cotton, currently residing in NC but owns the house at the start line at the corner of Elmwood and Collins.  Besides wanting to have good relationships with the neighbors, he's just a genuinely nice guy.  He said he really misses running, but at 85 still walks 6 miles per day.  Impressive indeed!  We were also graced by our namesake, Tommy McCoy, and his wife Arlene, both in their 80s.  Had a good conversation with both.

Start of the kids' run.  Good to have Coach Tom McCoy return
for first time in two years! (to my right in all blue)

OK, as to my own run:  Nick (who would admirably be running with his own daughter) asked me what I was looking to run.  Not looking to race it, but still run moderately hard was my target.  A group of four (Matthew, Jake, Jonny E, and an unknown but fast looking runner from Indiana) took it out much too spicy for me.  Dave Goodrich went past me near the start, and I followed in his shadow for about 1.5 miles before catching and passing.  On the long straightaway on Crandall, I could see the four ahead of me, FAR ahead of me.  Ran my own race and finished in 18:34.


Start of the 5K.  Fun to be out here!

Thursday:  10
Westerly, RI.  Woody Hill run with Brady.  Not a soul out there.  Was enjoying the run when two miles, I rolled my bad ankle on a root I didn't see.  Instant pain.  Stopped and paused and assessed for a while.  Fortunately, the pain was very short lived, so I tried walking and it seemed fine.  Didn't bother me the rest of the run.  

Mosquitoes were out, but they're only a problem when you stop as they're easy to outrun.  It's the deerflies that are relentless, and we probably only have about two more weeks 'til they come out to play.

Friday:  5
Charlestown, RI.  Late afternoon run in the heat (mid-70s and full sun) from Burlingame Picnic Area.  Planned a post-run 1/2 mile swim, but I was having trouble with my breathing on the run, so dialed the pace way back and skipped the swim.  I guess I have a long ways to go to heat acclimation.

Saturday:  14
Stonington, CT:
I was here for the June WTAC group run.  Given that the group run was "only" five miles and I wanted something longer, I showed up an hour earlier and figured I would get about seven miles in to make twelve for the morning.  I figured I would go for a wandering loop run, but as soon as I got to Field Street (less than 1/2 mile in), the hill was calling to me, so I switched to hill repeats.  Planned on running five of them.  Usually on a tedious workout like this, I want to end sooner than the planned workout and will run either the planned amount of repeats or less.  Surprisingly, instead of 5, I ran 10!  Yes, the 105' incline felt hard (average 8% grade, maximum 13%), but it's also short enough that I kept going.  Seeing group run host Kevin M come out for a few repeats helped, as did the other walkers who shouted encouragement.  Ran the final one in 7:34 pace (5:47 GAP), but most were at low-8s pace.  Pretty happy with this!

The group run itself was a group of six, from Loveridge Place (coffee shop/bakery) to Stonington High School via quiet roads and trails on the SHS campus.  I ran the whole way with Nick, and it was great to catch up with him.  Was pleasantly surprised to see that the new trail dedicated just last year for Tom McCoy was well established now and even a few people and dogs out on it as we ran.  Caught up with the rest of the gang over coffee and a delicious blueberry tart.

North Stonington, CT:
In retrospect, I should've quit and gone home, but I was feeling good and at first thought of running a few repeats at Lantern Hill, and then driving there, decided to park at the intersection of Route 2 and the Narragansett Trail and just to Lantern Hill on the newly (last year) rerouted western section of the trail.  Bad idea!  The trail was well marked, but badly overgrown.  I went for a mile, and then was getting so scratched up and itchy, that I bailed, and returned back.  Missed a turn somewhere, but that actually was fortuitous, as I ended up on a dirt/grass road and followed that back.  Not sure what's going on with this section, and I know people have put in a lot of work on it, but unfortunately it's not really runnable.

Sunday:  9
Charlestown, RI.  Matthew was looking to run seven (to get to seventy), I was looking to run ten (to get to seventy), so we split the difference.  Ran VG plus North Camp loop.  Brady gleefully joined us.  I took a quick dip at North Camp beach, while Brady retrieved sticks thrown into the pond for him.

Post-run coffee at Jitters Café.  It's still not quite the same as The Bakery that preceded it, but it's growing on me.

Weekly mileage:  69 run, 5,300' elevation gain

Weekly synopsis:  Very good running week, with high mileage (for me at least), good elevation, and the start of the Fun Run season.  Unfortunately, I did not get in a swim or bike this week.  I did carry around my wetsuit in my car this week.  Does that count?  Actions speak louder than words.

Weekly highlight:  Memorial Day Tippecansett / Pachaug run.

Weekly lowlight:  Overgrowth at Narragansett Trail west of Route 2.  Hopefully someday it will be restored to its former glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment