Friday, July 28, 2023

Weekly Log 17-Jul to 23-Jul-2023: Another Trip around the Sun, plus a Swim Race!

Monday:  43 ride, 4 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Gradually upping the ride distance.  I planned out a 40 mile ride (Westerly => Charlestown => Richmond => Hopkinton => home), with a food and drink stop at The Food Truck on 91.  Of course, just my luck that the one day they're closed in Mondays.  Didn't have much in the tank on this hot 80+ degree day, so rerouted up to DD in Ashaway.

PM:  Stonington, CT.  Kelley's Pace Monday night Monk Run.  Brutal 84°F.  Ran with two guys whose names I have already forgotten.  I'm terrible like that; takes me 3-4 times before I can put a name with a face, and in the meantime, it's just an awkward "How are you doing?" or "How have you been?", hoping that I don't get the dreaded "You don't remember me, do you?".
Gross looking.  Two days after my fall on the road,
this thing is really bothering me.  Tough to sleep last night,
as it's starting to scab exactly where the knee bends and anytime
I move it's just uncomfortable.

Tuesday:  2 walk, 9 run
AM:  WLT Mowing Team:  weed-whacking at Barlow and Grills Preserves.

AM:  Post weed-whacking, I went to Ninigret for a 7-mile run on a mix of grass and asphalt.  Another hot day there.  Jumped in Lil Nini Pond and swam a bit.  Odd moment when a guy came up to me in the water holding out his hand for me to shake and said, "Hi, I'm Serge; could you teach me a few things?"  Hopefully not about the birds and the bees, and when I shot back "Like what?", he said, "Well, you look like a professional swimmer and I'm hoping you can give me a few pointers."  I laughed awkwardly, as a professional swimmer I am far from. When I probed a bit more, he said he's working on his underwater swimming endurance.  Yeah, sorry, not sure how I can help.

PM:  Dash & Splash with Brady from Kettle Pond.  2 mile run, brief dip in between at Watchaug.

Wednesday:  6
59 years old.  First the bad stuff:  On a personal note, this was a birthday anniversary that had ominously bothered me for a couple of years now.  The short background is that my Dad died just days before his 59th birthday, having succumbed to cancer, and I had been diagnosed with and battled cancer myself through two surgeries just two years ago.  Yes, they were very different cancers and mine was detected in an early stage (barely before moving to Stage 2) and my dad's in a late stage, but that didn't change that I personally knew two local people that died of the cancer I had (melanoma) and I worried. It was one of several factors in my decision to retire early.  Life is short.   Make the most of it.

Now the good stuff:  My Mom had invited me (and Jana) to a breakfast birthday celebration at the Cooked Goose.  The food and locale were good as usual, but it was great to share my birthday with my Mom. 

AM:  Dash & Splash with Brady from Watchaug boat launch.  Planned for five miles, but this was just awful and bailed and turned around after 1 mile as both of us seemed to be having trouble in the disgusting 82° heat.  I brought a tennis ball, and that added to the fun in the water.

PM:  Fun Run #8.  75°.  It was hot, but not as hot as last week.  I should be used to this by now, right?  No, just continually slowed in the heat.
Start of tonight's Fun Run.
I'm in 2nd row, far left.

Post-fun run, we were invited my sister-in-law Caroline and her extended family to join them for dinner / ice cream at Salty's (clam shack in Weekapaug).  Sure, why not?!  It was awkward for a long time after my youngest brother Kurt died last year, but now it was great to see Caroline and her two daughters occasionally.  Got salmon tacos, RI chowder, and a milkshake, all paid for by Caroline's Dad and family on occasion of my birthday.  Nice to be included!

Thursday:  11
Exeter, RI.  Arcadia dirt roads with Brady.  Finally a run that didn't feel oppressive.  Temp about 70° and humidity about 75%.  About 80% on dirt roads, but still had significant deerflies.  Very nice dunk and swim in the Wood River.  13 DFKs and my first and hopefully only horsefly kill of the year.

Friday:  8
Exeter, RI.  Essentially the same route as yesterday, minus the Breakheart Pond loop.  Matthew joined Brady and I this time.  Much fewer deerflies (2 DFKs) today, and an equally enjoyable post-run swim in the river.

Saturday:  1 swim, 6 run
Narragansett, RI

Jumped into the Waterman Eco Challenge 1-Mile Swim.  I knew one of my Washington Trust former colleagues would be there, as well as Tommy 5K.  I don't know how many more tris I will do this summer, but as this is by far my weakest sport of the three, I figured I would benefit from a swim race.  In a tri, I know there will be plenty of other swimmers behind me because there are plenty of other triathletes whose weakest sport is swimming.  However, in a swim only race, the swim competition is even stronger.  The only other swim race I ever did in my life was the Salt Pond Challege 1-Mile swim in Misquamicut years ago, where I finished 2nd to last!  Against that backdrop, my true only goal for this race was not to finish dead last.

I lined up towards the back of the pack for RD announcements, and then we all walked down to the water, crossed timing mats, and then swam out to the start.  That's right, the swim start was out in the water; a first for me as we treaded water awaiting the start.  There was a brief countdown and we were off.  
The course paralleled the Ocean Drive seawall,
starting at Monahan's Dock and ending at Narragansett Town Beach

First two buoys on the course


Getting race instructions from RD.  I'm in back row,
directly below silver minivan's passenger door.
As you can clearly see, right?
(these pics from race photographer)

Walking across timing mat and into the water

Treading water waiting for the start

And we're off ...


I repeatedly collided with a teenage-ish girl who was swimming butterfly.  Finally changing direction a bit, I got out of her path.  I sighted and navigated the first three buoys just fine, but then had trouble sighting the next buoy and found myself alone and off-course.  Even though I didn't see the next buoy (at that time), I figured I was OK because I was sighting the beach.  I only knew something was wrong when I looked up and saw two lifeguard kayaks directly in front of me in my path.  Stopped swimming for a moment, listened to the lifeguards, and then they pointed me far to my right and said, "That way!".  Then I saw the next red buoy.   Yeah, I was off course, and I see no one around me at all now.  Oh no, am I last now?
Veering off course
about 2/3 mile in

Correction made, but I have no idea how much time I have lost.  From here on in, I have no problem with the remaining buoys, of which there were three.  Getting close to the beach, I am knocked around as a wave crashes over me.  I am really close to the beach now and after a few more strokes, I touch the sand under the water.  I stand up and see about three others around me also now running to the beach and finish line.  Oh no, are these the last three?  I can't let them beat me!

Final result:  35:17, 176th out of 201.  Final results.
Steps from the finish line,
trying to stay ahead of at least a few competitors

It turns out that there are 25 swimmers still to come in, and with the last more than 20 minutes behind me.  I am a very slow swimmer for sure at a 12th percentile finish in this race, with my finishing time more than double the winner's time, but I wasn't last and perhaps more importantly, I had fun!


Catching up with my former Washington Trust
colleague and HR partner, Ellen.
This was a fun day!

Sunday:  19
Westerly, RI
Two early mornings in a row for me, as I got up early enough to grab a quick bite (bagel and OJ) and run nine miles before meeting up with RWYC for their punctual 8am start.  Ran the nine miles solo around the pond, arrived at the RWYC start (Kings Way lot of Avondale Farm Preserve) at 8:01am and the RWYC group of about eight had just left.  Caught up with them on the loop and continued as far as Watch Hill, before splitting off to the ocean at East Beach, taking off my shoes, and running.  Took a dip in the ocean before leaving the beach for the short run home.

Weekly mileage:  63 run, 43 ride, 2 walk, 1 swim

Weekly synopsis:  This was a great mix of activities this week.  Upped the distance of both my ride and swim, which I need to keep doing every week now, and got in a good long run and run mileage overall.

Weekly highlight:  Waterman Eco-Challenge Swim.  It was actually pretty fun!

Weekly lowlight:  Heat and deerflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment