Monday, August 14, 2023

Weekly Log 31-Jul to 6-Aug-2023: Trying to get ready for the Tri

Monday:  3
Charlestown, RI.  Easy dash and splash run with Brady at Burlingame / Watchaug Pond.

Tuesday:  1 walk, 9 run
Westerly, RI.

AM:  WLT Mowing Team cleaning up overgrowth at Grills Preserve entrance.

AM:  Was heading from mowing to pick up my Mom at airport, when I learned her flight was a half-hour late.  Parked at Bradford Boat Launch, ran 3 miles, jumped into the Wood River to clean up my sweaty mess, and off to the airport!

PM:  5-mile run at Avondale solo in the heat and open sun.  Took it slow and easy.

Charlestown, RI
PM:  Late afternoon 2-mile dash and splash with Brady from Kettle Pond.  Dip in Watchaug mid-run.

Wednesday:  1.2 swim, 10 run
Charlestown, RI.
Run:  Started out from Burlingame Picnic Area with a 3-mile easy warm-up.  

Swim:  Next was the swim.  With just under 8 weeks to go to my first (and likely only) Ironman, I figured it was time to at least swim half the distance.  Did fine on the double OAB to the buoy (1/4 mile out, 1/4 mile back, twice), but then after that really fatigued.  I finished it though and felt happy about it.  I realize my training in both swim and bike is pretty pathetic, and I wonder how real triathletes get in real tri training, but at the same time, this truly is all about simply finishing for me.

Run:  Got back home mid-morning, and Matthew asked if I was up for a 3-mile run at Ninigret.  Sure, why not?  It's not like I have to get to work or something!

Westerly, RI:
Run:  4 miles at final Fun Run of the season.  I pushed this pretty hard, and frankly was a little disappointed to finish in 18:36.  Reminded myself that this is far from a fast course with 21 turns, and that this is probably a low-18 minute fun on an actual race course with few turns.
Nice collage in the Westerly Sun, despite me only being referenced as
"a runner".  :)


Thursday:  56 bike, 5 run
Bike:  Westerly, RI.  I didn't bike at all last week, and I really should be taking at minimum one decent ride every week.  It's just over six weeks to my Ironman, and even though my only goal is to finish, I still do need to get some training in.  After swimming half the Ironman distance yesterday, I was happy to finally pull off the same with riding today.  It takes a LONG time to get in a quality ride.  That's really my biggest issue.  

But I got it done with a CCW loop through Watch Hill, Avondale, lower Pawcatuck, North Stonington, Clarks Falls, Woodville, Richmond, Alton, and Charlestown.  First stop was at The Food Truck on 91 30+ miles in.  After I ordered, the woman working there said to me, "You bikers just kill me.".  Huh?  Is there where I disavow being a biker and tell her I'm really a runner in disguise?  She elaborated fortunately, and said that while we all look fit, she doesn't understand how we can come here and eat and drink so much and stay in shape, even eating muffins and other high-calorie food (I ordered a milkshake and egg & cheese bagel).  I told her it's because "we" need to consume a lot of calories to replace those burned.  Anyway, food was good.  Route 91 in Richmond was scary to ride on with all the loose stones after recent paving or oiling.  Final stop at 50 miles at Dave's Coffee, where I caught up with the man himself.  Pretty good ride.  Just killed a good part of my day.  Oh well, I'm retired ...

Run:  Charlestown, RI.  Late afternoon run with Brady at B-game south, followed by frolicking in the pond.

Friday:  5
South Kingstown, RI.  Solo run after WLT monthly board meeting.  Parked at Green Hill Park, and ran entirely in Green Hill, including several roads I had never on before.

Saturday:  5
Groton, CT.  Enjoyed watching the top 1/3 of the field of the Kelley Half Marathon run by about Mile 9, catching up with Robin and Danny Kerwin also spectating, and then headed to Bluff Point State Park (all with Brady) for an easy run on the trails.  Stuck to the single-track as 1) less people and 2) completely shaded.  There were quite a few bikers on the single-track, like at least ten, but every single one of them was nice and stopped for Brady and me.

Really good pre-race dinner at Mariner Grille, Narragansett, 
with Jana and Matthew.  Rare tuna steak with wasabi aioli,
sides of sautéed spinach, mashed potatoes, and grilled onions and peppers.
Unsweetened iced tea with lemon, as I have given up having any
alcohol on pre-race nights.  I enjoy having a drink out, but just can't
metabolize it well anymore and can't risk sleep issues affecting my 
race performance.
---
The meal was delicious and pretty much healthy.

Sunday:  7
South Kingstown, RI.  Run 4 Kerri 4-Miler.  Separate write-up to follow.

Weekly mileage:  45 run, 1 walk, 56 ride, 1.2 swim

Weekly synopsis:  Great to get in a long swim and a long ride (by my definition), but it came at the cost of light mileage running.  Don't know how real triathletes have the time to get all the proper training in, and this is coming from a guy that's retired.  My thought at the moment (and yes, it's subject to change) is the Ironman will be a one-and-done and unless I come way with having just an awesome amazing experience there, I'll probably keep doing a few sprint to Olympic distance tris each summer, but otherwise focus almost exclusively on running as long as I can.  Check back with me next summer, or after the Ironman, but that's the current thought.

Weekly highlight:  Run 4 Kerri.  More to come.

Weekly lowlight:  No specific moment, but again, just the difficulty I'm having trying to balance getting high mileage running weeks (or even normal running weeks) with adding swim and bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment