Thursday, September 21, 2023

New Haven Road Race 20K

 

New Haven, CT
Monday, September 4, 2023

USATF-CT 20K championship.  Second time running this race.  Ran last year unattached, but took advantage of the Mohegan Strider tent, portable changing rooms, and hospitality.  Ran this year on the Strider team, as part of the USATF-CT road series.  The series is not as competitive as the USATF-NE (New England) series, but that makes sense as the latter comprises all New England states except Connecticut and Maine for some reason unknown to me.  The advantages to me for running in the CT series this year (you have to pick and choose; you can't run both unfortunately) included proximity to races and knowing more runners.  And don't mistake my "not as competitive" comment as "not competitive", as there is plenty of competition in both my age group and the one that I will advance into next year.

Onto the race...

Very efficient bib pickup, short line at porta-jons, and the convenience of utilizing the Mohegan Striders tent for bag drop (as opposed to last year going back and forth to the car in the parking garage) gave me plenty of time and eliminated last year's last minute bathroom near-fiasco.  I warmed up with Brady for about 1.5 miles and took my time putting on my race singlet and race shoes before calmly walking over to the start with Jana and Brady.
Pre-race


1st half:  After our national anthem, then brief remarks from the Race Director and lead sponsor, there was a countdown from 10 and we were off.  At last year's race (start 69°F, 89% humidity), I went out in a 5:52 first mile.  This year (start 73°, 93% humidity, finish 80°), I willed myself to go out more conservatively, or at least a tad.  This year I ran a 6:03 first mile, my fastest mile of the race, and then slowed from there.    A lot of similarities between this year's Blessing and this year's New Haven Road Race.

Last year, I narrowly won my age group, but I had no such expectations this time.  At Mile 3, Mike Dolan (age group winner at Blessing) went by me and I just wished him good luck.  Any chance I had to run in the shade, I did so.  But in the complete open sun sections, it was just brutal.  There were a few sprinklers and water fountains set up and I'd take advantage of them when I could, but it was nowhere near the amount at Blessing and no kids with super-soakers like at Blessing either.  I took water at every single water station, and would typically drink half and pour the rest on top of my head.

I alternated taking water and their electrolyte drink, which tasted terrible but I knew it would be smart to take in electrolytes especially on this hot day.  The drink was UCAN, and it tasted like some banana flavor if that's possible.

2nd half:  Starting the 2nd half, it was great to see supporters including a number of Striders either not running or running the 5K today, plus Jana and Brady.  I would later learn that this where a few people I know decided just to drop out of the race on account of the heat and humidity.
Halfway through the race.
Video snippet from a race highlights video.

Pic courtesy of Kim O


I noted that some of the rougher looking sections of the course (about Mile 8) looked a little better this year with people out there cheering and I didn't see what I assume to be drugged out folks from last year's race.  

In Mile 9, on a hot open sunny section near train tracks, Matt Sweeney went past me.  Very similar to Blessing, late in the race, and I just wish him well.  He's a teammate and not in my age group.  However, in Mile 10, Brett Stoeffler went past me, for age group position #2.  We go back and forth in these races, with him probably beating me 3:2.  I tell myself I should stay with him, but I just can't muster up the strength and will to chase after him, and off he goes.  This was my slowest mile at Mile 10, so no wonder he went past me here.  

In Mile 11, we have a 50' downhill followed by a flat finish.  I try to stay relevant in the race, and hope I don't get passed by anyone else in my age group.  My final two miles are a very slow 6:36 and 6:33, but I'm done.

Final results:  1:20:13, 107th overall, 3rd in age group.  Full results here

In the end, Brett passed Mike Dolan and beat him by 15 seconds for the win; I was 31 seconds by Mike.  The 4th place division finisher was a good 9 minutes behind me.
Finishing strides






With a cold, wet towel on my head.
Sat down on the curb to decompress, before
heading for food.  Best food award:
Chocolate soft ice cream!


This was again a horribly hot and humid race, and I finished 2 1/2 minutes slower this year and in 3rd place instead of 1st place (in my age group, obviously).  But there is a high probability that I will be back for punishment next year.  It's a classic summer road race, after all!
Great to catch up with a colleague and friend of mine,
Jim Z, that I hadn't seen since retiring a year ago.


Awesome age group award!
And in my favorite color.
Glad we hung around for this!



No comments:

Post a Comment