Tuesday, January 16, 2024

December 2023: Low Mileage to close out the Year

Running stats:

Miles run:  179
Elevation gain:  9,803
Weekly miles (for weeks ended in month):  33, 56, 13, 51, 51


December was my lowest elevation of the year, and second lowest mileage.  The mileage is low due to time off from running after Honolulu Marathon.

Primary running surfaces:  Road (112 miles), trails (59 miles)
Primary running locations:  Charlestown (50 miles), then Westerly (37) and Honolulu (33)

Other disciplines:
Walk / hike:  34 miles

-------------------------------------------------------------

Races:

Honolulu Marathon (Dec 9):
My 25th marathon.  Way too warm and humid for me so decided just to run it easy and "enjoy" it as best I could.  Full race report here.


-------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous:

My Scottish blood balked at paying
$25 per wreath at Home Depot,
only to see those wreaths quickly
turn brown.  Having the time and incentive
as an old retired guy with no income,
I picked my own supplies and gave it a try.
This won't win me any awards,
but I made five of them and they
actually came out better than I
expected!  Between this and garland
for our lamppost, saved about $150.


Dec 7:  WTAC Holiday Party
Fun run through the woods with LED
lit signs.  About a dozen on the run, and
about 30 at the party afterwards.

Not the clearest pic!  
(l-r:  Nick, me, Justin, Matt)

Fun to catch up with other WTAC folks
at the party itself
(l-r:  Bob S, Paul J, Schane, Bob K, Jeff V)


December comic that I most related to:
Unfortunately the truth, at least
for me.  Probably TMI, but since
I turned 50, it's very rare for me
to sleep through the night.

Dec 20:  a downsized and kind of last minute
Christmas light run, due to us getting back late
in the month from Hawaii and T5K heading out
shortly thereafter for his family getaway



Christmas Eve appetizers:  specialty cheeses from The Cheese Corner,
and assorted smoked fish from McQuade's.  Great stuff!

Christmas morning:  opening stockings.
Yes, Brady has his own stocking as well!

We were lucky to get a tree this year,
as most Christmas tree farms were
sold out or closed for the season by the
time we got back from Hawaii



I got some great history books for Christmas.  I'm a slow
reader, so these will last me a while.

One of several Xmas gifts.
We don't spoil him at all!


-------------------------------------------------------------

Monthly highlight:  The Hawaii family trip in general.  Hiking the tallest peak, Mauna Kea, and seeing snow, for a specific highlight.


Monthly lowlight:  End of the holidays and end of having the family together for now.  With our two sons spread around the country, it gets harder and harder to get the four of us together.  In 2023, it didn't happen until Thanksgiving.
Dec 30:  Mark in apparent conversation with the late Colonel Sanders,
while awaiting his KFC food on Airport Road in Warwick,
before we dropped him off around the corner at TF Green Airport
for his flight back to Georgia


No comments:

Post a Comment