Saturday, March 9, 2024

PLR ShamRock & Roll

 

New Haven, CT
Sunday, March 3, 2024

USATF-CT 5K Championship.  As for the name of the race, when I arrived, I heard over the loudspeaker, "Welcome to the 99.1 PLR Crosspoint Federal Credit Union ShamRock & Roll 5K".  Yeah, what a mouthful.  That's why I hear runners refer to the race as simply "PLR", "Shamrock", etc.

At any rate, this was my second year running this race, and it's the first race of the year of the USATF-CT Road Grand Prix.  I find this race to be really well organized, run by JB Sports, the same company that manages the New Haven Road Races in September, with 5K, 20K, and Half options.

Alarm went off at 6am.  I stayed in bed for another ten minutes, then got up, took Brady out, and made my typical pre-race breakfast of oatmeal with blueberries and cranberries.  I was a bundle of nerves for the 1-hour drive to New Haven.  As I got out of the car, I ran into Scott Grandfield.  My first thought was "Ugh".  Nothing against Scott personally of course; it just meant another very strong AG competitor in a race where I eked out a 1st place last year by one second, and 1st and 4th place in my AG were separated by just seven seconds!

As I entered Toad's Place to pick up my bib and shirt, I waited in line for less than 60 seconds, before being directed to the next available person to check me in.  Got my bib, went into another room to pick up my shirt, and there was no line there at all.  I was asked "tech" or "cotton" and I immediately answered tech, but walking out with my tech shirt, I reflected that it was neat to have that option and I actually get very few cotton shirts that maybe I should've answered differently.

As I went on my warm-up, I resolved to not fret about my competitors and instead just run my own race.  That helped as I lined up ready to go.

Mile 1:  I had lined up in about the 5th row.  The announcer said race would start in 4 minutes, and although he gave periodic time updates, it seemed to take so long for those 4 minutes to pass.  I remembered last year I got boxed in on the first right-hand turn that comes up quick, so I lined up on the left this time, figuring it was better to go wide and potentially add a few feet.  That part worked and I had no issues with being crowded in even from the start.  
In starting line, just before the start.
Didn't realize until now that Dave Goodrich was right in front of me.
(Pic courtesy of Chris Colangelo)

This is a DEEP starting line.  You need to plan accordingly
and line up in time.
About five rows back and ready to go

I thought I lined up well, but I was passing so many people in the first half mile or so that I questioned it.  Again, not an issue as they weren't in my way like at Honolulu Marathon.  I just went to the outside and had a clear shot.  It wasn't until close to the end of the first mile that I saw Dave Goodrich ahead of me, and then Scott just a few runners ahead of him.   Mile split 5:38.

Mile 2:  Early in the mile, I caught and passed Dave Goodrich.  I didn't know it at the time, but that put me in first place for the Striders.  That's certainly not where I want to be.  Sam Alexander was signed up but sick, Jared in Mexico, and not sure on others.  

At any rate, as I made the turn off the main thoroughfare (Whitney Ave) to start the small lollipop before reversing direction, I noticed Scott was just a few places ahead of me.  I think that helped me to maintain pace and keep me motivated through the four turns to get us headed south back towards home.  Mile split 5:44.

Mile 3:  With one mile to go, the race was far from over, at least for my age group.  Brett Stoeffler, my friendly adversary of many of these USATF-CT races, went past me easily and I had no response.  (Brett would go on to run a 5:30 3rd mile, something outside of my current abilities.)  Next I saw Brett catch and pass Scott.  It looked like Scott was trying to latch onto him and stay with him, which I give him credit for, but it didn't last long as Brett charged ahead leaving Scott behind.

This course is really near pancake flat (my Strava post showed an elevation gain of 48').  With about 1/2 mile to go, there is a very slight downhill of about -15' drop.  I used this to my advantage and for the first and only time of the race, caught right up to Scott.  Unfortunately, he turned and looked back (he probably was startled by hearing the breathing of a dinosaur) and saw me.  He had another gear to finish out the race, and I did not.  Mile split 5:43.
Just before the final turn to
finish line

Photos by Chris C


Final result:  17:48 gun, 17:45 chip.  39th overall out of 1,274.  3rd in age group (of 61).  Full results here.

Changed out of my carbon fiber shoes, and went on a 3+ mile cooldown with Scott, finishing up intentionally at the advertised race awards time.

Thoughts on the race:
  • 5K to me at this point is such a hard distance.  Yes, it's by the far most popular racing distance is the USA today, but I think (total conjecture on my part) that's because the vast majority of people are running it an an easier effort than me, and I'm racing to win (my age group of course, not outright).  Unlike longer races like a 10M or marathon, this is just pure oxygen debt the whole way and I'm literally huffing and puffing pretty much out of the gate to the finish line.
  • It's a flat and fast course!
  • Very well organized.
  • I ran more consistent splits than last year:

  • It's fantastic that the main sponsor is a rock radio station, and that rock music is played at bib pickup and awards venue.
    (Race FB photo)

  • Having ice cream post-race is amazing!  Yes, I'm one of those weirdos that skips the free beer line altogether and goes straight to the ice cream table, even in March.
  • I'm not a fan of EVERY USATF-CT race, and I don't think 5K is "my" distance, but I do like this race and will likely keep coming back.
  • I stopped at Madison Coffee House on the way back, just like last year, and had lox and bagels.  Awesome stuff; I like to "reward" myself after racing hard or racing well (I would check both of those boxes this time!).  Maybe that will be a tradition as well?
    My age group finisher prize

No comments:

Post a Comment