Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Pie Run 2022


Middletown, RI
Thanksgiving Day, 2022

Officially the "Newport County YMCA Pie Run", this was my 3rd Pie Run.  Previous results for this 5-miler were 30:08 (2016) and 31:01 (2019).  

Warm-up:  I met up with my sister-in-law and niece pre-run (they would be running the 3-mile run), and then I went out for a 2-mile solo warm-up.  Returned to the car ten minutes before race start to change into singlet and race shoes, and then there was an absolute mob between me and the start.  To quantify, there was a total of about 1,800 runners and walkers in a mass start, as both events started concurrently.  I was making my way through and around the crowd when I overheard one runner asking another if he knew where the registration table was for bib pickup.  Seriously?!  Five minutes to race start.  I don't understand why people do this.  It adds so much stress and is very unfair to the volunteers.  I had picked up my bib three days ago, and the instructions were very clear that if you were picking up your bib on race day, you should arrive 1 1/4 hours before race start, at latest.  That 75 minutes, not 5 minutes.  What do I care?  It bothers me because I see the same unthoughtful actions at our own races.  Ugh.
Pre-race with my sister-in-law and nieces


Flat 3 miles:  Lined up about two rows from the start.  I found it annoying that a couple in sweatpants and sweatshirt and carrying phones were in the first row, and as I suspected, once the gun went off, I had to work my way around both of them, but after that I had plenty of room to run my own race until Mile 4 (more on that shortly).  

In green singlet and blue cap,
about dead center in this picture.

Making my way past sweatshirt guy,
and then it's all clear

About 35°F at the start with almost no wind.  Chilly only at very start in short shorts and singlet, and then felt fine.  With the exception of about 1/4 mile near finish, we always had at least one full road lane to run in unimpeded by automobile traffic.  About 1 mile in I heard my name called out by a spectator.  I typically don't look over during a short race like this and I didn't need to either as I recognized the voice of Adrian.  There is little fan support on this course, which is too bad, as it does help.

My goal for the first three miles was 5:48.  I didn't have a high degree of confidence that I could that for three miles, but I did!  I'm also psyched with how consistent the mile splits were:  5:46, 5:48, 5:44, as consistency is not my hallmark.

Hilly two:  At Mile 2.8, there is a cone turnaround.  I really don't like these, and yes, much of that is because I'm frankly not good at executing 180° turns.  I turn them so wide and lose time as I slow down and awkwardly try to reverse direction.  Maybe I need a remedial course in cone turnarounds?  Or do others feel that way also?

As I head towards the finish now and against incoming runners, I hear my name called several times, which surprises me, as I didn't recognize anyone at the start of the race.  I'm mildly tempted to know who is calling me and offering encouragement, but not tempted enough to lose my focus and actually look their way.  

At Mile 3.5, we start our way up the 90' hill.  I was ready and prepared for that, and had practiced this just three days prior.  What I was not prepared for and did not remember was that we would very soon (Mile 3.7) merge with the 3-mile "non-competitive" run/walk.  And they took up the whole width of Purgatory Road, both lanes, many talking and oblivious or nonchalant as to my approaching.  I switched to running on the far left shoulder hoping that would be open to me, but even then twice there was someone walking on that shoulder, forcing me to cut back into the crowd and weave a little bit.  And once I went between two groups of people only to have them crowd back together as I approached and I had to yell out "Watch out!" as I ran between them.  6:13 pace for the uphill 4th mile - I'll take it!

What goes up must come down.  ("Spinning wheel got to go round ...")  You remember that song, right?  Anyway, the left shoulder opened up again as I opened up my own pace for the downhill stretch and 5:20 pace for the Purgatory downhill half-mile.  Closed the final half mile in 5:34 pace for 5th mile split of 5:27.  Pretty happy with that!
Final strides to finish

 Finishing on closed roads


Final results:   29:20 (chip time), 14th of 678 finishers, 1st of 68 age group finishers.  Full results here.

In past years, age group winners would receive full sized pies, very appropriate for Thanksgiving Day.  This year the prizes varied and mine was a knit YMCA hat.  That's fine, too, and certainly I don't go to races for the awards.

More importantly, I am very happy with my result.  In fact, I initially thought I had a new 5-mile PR as I mistakenly thought my 5-Mile PR (from Hangover Classic in Bristol) was 29:26, but in fact it is 29:18.  To come within two seconds of my PR on a course with a 90' hill climb and a cone turnaround, I am most pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment