Monday, December 19, 2022

Weekly Log 12-Dec to 18-Dec-2022: First Snow

Miscellaneous rambling:
  • I am very happy with my NB RC Elites, but now wonder how much or how often I will wear these expensive shoes and what their shelf life is.  The target race distance for my SuperComp Pacers is up to a half marathon, and I obviously I run many more races at a distance of half marathon and down than I do above a half.  
  • Are you familiar with those highway electronic bulletin boards?  Driving on I-95 North in Delaware this week, I was amused to read in flashing letters, "Watch out for reindeer", followed by "Slower sleighs keep to the right"!  Glad someone in the DOT has a sense of humor.
  • I pulled the trigger and signed up for the Border Patrol Challenge.  I wish there some routes in Westerly and I’m also not a fan of the numerous OABs, but the concept in general is fun, fits the winter season with less races around here, and it looks like a number of people I know will be participating.
  • Speaking of triggers, this is a sad reflection on our country:


Monday:  10
Westerly, RI.  Went back to Grills to pick up the flags put down for yesterday's Fire & Ice Holiday Hike.  Still mildly annoyed that a number of the hikers ignored the course, some because they didn't pay attention that the course was flagged and others who just decided to hike their own way.  Imagine that happening in a trail race?  It all worked out fine since everyone made it back OK, but I don't think I would go through that effort again since many just wanted to ignore the flags and hike their own way.

Anyway, while my sole purpose for going there today was to cover the 4 miles needed to retrieve the flags, I was pleasantly surprised that the snow overnight had stuck to the ground and was about 2 inches deep.  Not a huge amount, but it was beautiful and since Brady also seemed to be having fun in the snow, in Jeff Vuono speak, 4 miles became 10!
Brady at Grills.  It certainly was pretty there!

Top of Big Hill

Post-run, we went to Hartikka Tree Farm
(Voluntown, CT) to pick out our tree.
An 8' Nordmann Fir was selected by Brady.
I had never heard of this species.  Had you?


I just love the trappings of an old-fashioned Christmas.
No fake plastic trees for me, please, and no pre-cut trees in a
parking lot if possible.  There is just something magical 
about going out into a field and selecting, cutting, and dragging
your own Christmas tree.  And snow on the ground was a bonus!
Puts me in the Christmas mood.
(Pic by Jana)


Tuesday:  1 walk, 11 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Easy CCC assignment to take out a tree hanger at Wahaneeta with a pole saw.

PM:  Richmond, RI.  Went to Arcadia Y to park as I have before and run from there.  There were plenty of open spaces, but the big "Parking for Customers Only" signs turned me off and I drove away and parked instead at the RI DEM public lot at nearby Wyoming Pond Fishing Area.  My run was marred early on when I was yelled at and sworn at for peeing in the woods.  I was more than a mile way from the nearest building on a dirt road without houses or electricity, when I was surprised by the single car that came around the bend.  It's not likely they could even see anything as I had my back to them, but they could tell what I was doing.  There was no upshot in talking to them and they were clearly both enraged with me, so I just ignored them and kept running.

I had this fear I would run into them again during my run, but fortunately that was unfounded.  The rest of the run was quiet and mostly devoid of humans.

Wednesday:  12
Hopkinton, RI.  Very windy day with steady 16mph winds, so a great day for the woods!  26°F at start.  I can't believe I even had to think about whether to wear shorts or not.  Fortunately I went with shorts, as other than the first half-mile maybe and occasional open sections where the wind was whipping, I felt quite warm out there.  Fun, tranquil trail run with Brady, and I was happy there was still snow on most of the trails, even though it slowed me down a bit.

Finished the run and as I was getting into the car, I was very surprised to see blood running down my leg from my knee.  That's a telltale sign of a fall, which I didn't have, so I don't know what was going on there.

Thursday: 12
AM:  Stonington, CT.  6 mile run from Barn Island - Steward Road entrance.  I was planning to park at Pawcatuck River Wildlife Area, but since I had to change post-WLT meeting and there were people just hanging out there, I left and went to Barn Island instead.  Ran roads down in Lower Pawcatuck, including River Road and the nice River Crest Drive neighborhood.  Pretty quiet late morning on a weekday.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Christmas Light Run.  6 miles.  Annual run with a few running friends.  Last year was from Tom's house, this year from mine.  Thanks for Jana for providing post race food and hot mulled cider.
Does anyone still split wood with a sledgehammer and wedge?
I split a few of these logs for firewood tonight.  That's the way
my Dad had my brothers and me split wood, way back when 
I was a teenager.


Post-run, gathered around the fire with running friends.


Friday:  12
Charlotte, NC.  Loop from my hotel just outside Charlotte Airport.  First and final mile were pretty uncomfortable on busy roads with almost no shoulder, but that was the best I could map out and I didn't have a car to drive to a better place.  The middle miles were OK, not great, but not scary like the first and last either.  Good to get this run in, but the most impressive thing to me about this run was nothing about the run itself but rather that it put me over 3,000 miles for the year.
Biggest reindeer structure I've ever seen
(Charlotte Airport lobby)


Saturday:  0
No running.  Long drive with Mark from Charlotte back to Westerly.  Tiring.
Best part of the drive was stopping for a full proper dinner in
New Jersey.  Mark's restaurant choice did not disappoint.

Sunday:  12
Union, CT.  Bigelow Hollow State Park.  With Matthew and Brady.  Pretty and very hilly state park, with many stream crossings.  Steep hill climb right out of the gate, with several more 200'+ climbs throughout.  Much of the run was technical.  A few brief crossings into Massachusetts.
Nipmuck Trail start,
at the MA/CT border



This river crossing on a log would have been a little dicey,
except for the cables above my head

Much of the trail was pretty technical


Probably the best shot of the day.
Brady atop a rock on the shores of Breakneck Pond


Weekly mileage:  69

Weekly synopsis:  Good mileage week, especially with no specific training goals currently.  A nice variety of runs.

Weekly highlight:  The run at Bigelow Hollow State Park.  This place is a gem.  But don't go there if you're looking for an easy run!

Weekly lowlight:  The run in Charlotte.  Just not a great place to run.  Made me appreciate Rhode Island roads and their wider shoulders that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment