Monday, September 24, 2012

OCY Triathlon


Misquamicut, September 23, 2012

Results here.  1:22:42.  26th out of 173, 5th in age division.
The irony is that my time was faster than the 1st place finisher in the next younger (40-44) division, but so be it - work on getting faster next year, and in the meantime enjoy the event and make the best of it. 

Was out with my boys posting "caution - bikes on road" signs on the course pre-race, when I saw Tom getting some morning miles in.  Absolutely no nervousness at all pre-race; that was a welcome change.  Photo essay for the race itself:

Other than having to dive through waves at start, the 1/2 mile
swim from Misquamicut State Beach to Old Town Beach
was relatively calm and flat. 
Swim time:  15:27.  Back of the pack, but 3 min faster than last year!

Finishing lap 1 of 2 - passed many cyclists

Finishing 2nd lap - 20.6 mph average
Bike time:  46:48, 45th o/a and 4 min faster than last year!

On the run course on
Atlantic Ave

Giving it my all on run back from
Weekapaug Bridge to Misquamicut:
splits 6:08 / 6:01 / 5:48
17:42 for 3 miles; 4th o/a
30 secs faster than last year
 At first I wasn't happy with my times, but knowing that the ratios of a long swim and short run don't favor me, and seeing that I took 7+ minutes off last year's time, improved in every event, and moved up 31 positions, I'm thrilled!

Congrats to Steve for winning our age group again!  Elise won the women's race, and fellow WTAC'ers Kate and CarolAnn were also out there competing.  Talking to John a/k/a Pard post-race, it sounds like he'll be making his tri-debut next year!  Great weather and great fun.  Now time to hang up the tri-suit and wetsuit for the year, and focus on fall running.

No comments:

Post a Comment