Sunday, February 11, 2018

Old Mountain Field 5K 2018

South Kingstown, RI
Saturday, February 10, 2018

This is the 7th year of the winter trail series, and my 7th year running this specific race.  This is my favorite race of the series, primarily because it's the most technical. 

I was bummed out that the snow we had in January is completely gone, as I had hoped for a good snow trail race and the chances diminish beyond mid-February.  What's the next best thing to snow for a race?  Mud!  Knowing the course terrain and all the recent melting snow and rainstorms, there was a high probability of mud and on this note, I was not disappointed!

As we pulled into the OMF parking lot at 9:30, even Pard remarked that we had arrived uncharacteristically late.  Totally my fault as I was working Saturday morning on sending out a work project status communication that was already behind schedule and I knew would be a relief off my mind to get finished and sent.  Anyhow, picked up my bib and went for a short solo run on the trails, before coming back to change into my lighter minimalist trail shoes.  Then off for Team WTAC pics and making my way to the starting line.
Team WTAC before the start,
less a few stragglers.  I really like our new green singlets.
(All race pics courtesy of Jana)

The start:  Lined up in 2nd row behind Brightman and Jackman, knowing they would lead it out quickly.  The start is always hectic, and hopefully RD Mike Galoob's admonition for younger runners NOT to fly out in the beginning helped to keep it somewhat in check.  Nonetheless, the first 200 meters or so, on the field before entering the woods, is a mad dash for positioning.  At the first corner around the ballfield, the muddy slide would be a harbinger of the course conditions yet to come.
Crossing the road just steps ahead of Ralph Lufkin. 
Ralph finished just ahead of me at Resolution, so I was conscious of
where he was at today's race and happy I stayed ahead of him for the duration.

Just before crossing the road into the trails, I passed a young girl to get into better position.  On the short trail scramble leading up to the stone steps, I went past one guy, and then afterwards it was a little tight on single-track as I followed closely to a guy in front of me.  On a downhill section that temporarily widened a bit, I went to the right to get past this guy but did not see two dogs in my way in the middle of the path until it was too late to correct.  I was going downhill over a rock, passing someone, while avoiding two labs.  I feared a gazelle/canine collision, but went as far right as possible brushing bushes and got by. 

The swamp:  I jumped in next behind Mike Daniels and when we went over the technical rocky stream bed, I caught right up to him.  Much like at Run for the Beavers, I sensed him slow a bit on the more technical sections and each time I would contemplate trying to pass him, but it would be tough to pass here so I continued behind.  Deep into the swamp we went.  I was truly enjoying splashing through the wet sections and muck.  Soon we caught up to a guy and fell in behind him.  As to wardrobe choices, to each his own I suppose, but it's hard for me to take male runners as serious or legit when they're wearing shorts over tights, especially when the temp is 45 degrees.  I bided my time jumping and ducking under trees, splashing through muck, and towards the end of the swamp, I found enough of a runway to go past both Mike and shorts-over-tights.  I gave frenemy Mike some encouragement as I went by.

The finish:  Emerging from the fun romp in the swamp, I saw a TNT singlet a ways ahead of me, but couldn't make out who it was.  The rain started anew here, and that was fine with me.  Climbed up the "mountain", where we took a 90-degree left down a steep hill to the bridge crossing the north end of the pond.  It was on the downhill that I went into gazelle mode and caught right up to the mystery turtle, Dave Principe!  Followed right on Dave's heels as we went over the bridge and started to make our way around the pond and over very slippery wooden bridges.  Unfortunately on one of the twisty turns near the pond, I slid and went down.  When I got back up, Dave was gone. Tried to catch back up to him and got him back in sight, but as we crossed the bridge around the south end of the pond, I felt he was pulling away a bit. Followed him on the twisty climb back up the mountain, and starting downhill I was hoping I could catch and pass him as I did here a few years back, but it wasn't to be.  He was a little too far ahead of me, and while I kept him in close sight, he was able to hold me off through the final twists and turns, and finish 7 seconds ahead of me.  I was able to hold off Mike Daniels this time.


Trailing Dave Principe

Around the pond, before entering the trails for the final 1/2 mile or so
Final trail section


Final results:  21:27, 6:55 average pace.  10th overall, 2nd in age group.  Full results here.

While I've certainly had much gorier runs,
was none the less happy to be called up for
"Most Mud & Blood".

Caught up with Chris, Dave, and Mike post-run, before going out on a WTAC/TNT group cool-down.  Afterwards, Mike told me he's training for Providence Marathon.  Hmmm ... should I really be giving up a spring marathon?  Unfortunately, I couldn't persuade Jonny to go back into the swamp again, but it was a good run and catch-up regardless.  Caked in mud and blood and a bit shorter on time today, I opted to pass on the group lunch at Mews this time and went to the nearby South County Y for a hot shower and change into dry clothes.  What a great race; so much fun!

Bonus:  while I generally prefer Saturdays to Sundays for racing, I was going to have to miss the next race, Belleville, due to a conflict.  BUT now that he just switched Belleville to Sunday, the race is back on the table for me.  Now if Mother Nature could only do us a favor and dump some heavy snow on the course before the next race ...

1 comment:

  1. Nice race! Glad Jana got a picture of the team, MUCH appreciated. Sorry to have missed this one, it was my very first trail race ever, and holds a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete