Monday, February 19, 2018

Weekly Log 12-Feb to 18-Feb-2018: Renaissance Week

Last week:
The serial killer look

This week:  the winter beard experiment comes to an end.
I never really planned it, just was lazy over Christmas
and let it go from there.  It had just gotten too itchy,
so time to go.
---
My last beard experiment was at age 17 (36 years ago).
So given that time interval, my next one should be at age 99?
(Of course if I am still breathing then, I expect
to be still running trails and rocking AC/DC!)


Monday:  0
Planned rest day.

Tuesday:  5
Took advantage of the need to be in Warwick for an evening company event, and stopped for a run in Big River.  Ran my new standard trail, Lego, which I'm finally comfortable with finding my way.  From up on the ridges, the sunset was a stunning orange.  Wound my back via Foster's Folly, with the aid of my headlamp lighting the way.  That's a fairly technical trail; I couldn't imagine running that one in complete darkness.

Upon entering the Kent County Y for a shower and change of clothes, another male patron remarked that I was "really brave to be wearing shorts".  Umm, it's 33 degrees; how do I begin to respond to that?  He seemed to just be friendly, so I told him I'm awaiting spring (I'm not).

Wednesday:  6
Ran the BRR long and short course trail portions.  This is tentatively slated for June 17 this year, pending DEM approval.  Plenty of mud and water crossings on the course; it would be great if we had either for the race itself, although not likely by then.  Felt fat, slow, and out of breath on the run.
Well, it was inevitable, but this is what happened when I
stepped on the scale today.  I'm now 7 pounds heavier than
I was in the fall.  Time to start getting serious about upping
the running and curbing the junk eating.

Thursday:  6
After a 3-week hiatus from road running, not sure what prompted me to run roads this morning.  Even less sure what prompted me to run on busy Beach Street and East Avenue.  Running on asphalt with morning commute traffic coming very close to me and splashing wet crap on me was not so enjoyable.  Keeping it positive, two highlights:
  1. On East Avenue, a car approaching me crossed the center line to give me extra room and confidence that they saw me.  Nice.  Oh, it's Matthew driving to school.  Thank you!
  2. Just after Matthew went by, a baby deer crossed busy East Avenue between cars.  Once it got across the street, it paused and seemed to freeze as I ran by it within ten feet.  Poor thing.  I wanted to tell it come with me and I'll show him the trails.

Friday:  0
Should've gotten out early.  Lost my window later on with a work event that I had forgotten about.

Saturday:  9
Back to Big River.  Probably the only time I've ever run Big River twice in the same week.  I've really come to enjoy the full 3-mile Lego segment, and used that to start my run again.  Got a little out of my comfort zone on Dead Shed and then a trail paralleling Hopkins Hill Road out to a cemetery.  However, getting onto the Pump Trail gave me confidence again, and I thought it would be an easy return via Venom and Foster's Folly.  Until somewhere I took a wrong turn...
I know the see-saw near the end of Foster's Folly,
but did NOT know there are two see-saws in Big River!
Of course I ran over it.  Twice actually.

Ever watch the movie "European Vacation"?  If so, do you remember the scenes where Chevy Chase keeps coming back to Big Ben because he is stuck in a rotary?   "Look kids, it's Big Ben!" loses its appeal the 3rd, 4th time, etc.  This was my run today, switching out "Big Ben" for Carr's Pond, as I got on twisty trails that kept coming back to Carr's Pond.  Look kids, it's Carr's Pond.  Again.  And again.  Argh.  Finally, somehow, I got on a trail that didn't circle back towards the pond, and then I got in the right direction and eventually recognized the turn-off to Foster's Folly.  Just when I thought my carcass would be found and eaten by coyotes, I found my way out.
This was actually a pretty cool trail.
But, where the hell am I, and how do I get out of here?!

Got home, showered, and headed up to what could be my final visit to PCTA (unless the old man ever tries an indoor master's meet there).  Very happy to see Matthew and his team lower their 8x400 time to 8:19 and qualify for New Englands, but it seemed odd for Matthew not to be running any individual events at the indoor state meet this year.  It's good that he finally seems over his injury and can focus on outdoor track next.

Sunday:  6
Went to bed Saturday with snow blanketing the trees white, and forecast of 3 - 8".  Set out my snowshoes and was very excited.  Probably drooled in my sleep.  The wet snow also meant I could build a snowman.  Woke up in the middle of the night to a pouring rain.  NO!!!!!  Very depressed when I woke up to see only about 1" on the ground.
Tried to make the best of it, and tried out my new Gore-Tex trail running shoes in trails and puddles of Bradford Preserve and Woody Hill.  At 35 degrees, I can live with my feet getting wet today, but I had a few 10 -15 degree snowshoeing and snow run treks this winter where my feet got wet and very uncomfortable, so this would be a good experiment.

My new NB 910v4 GTX waterproof trail shoes:
time to try them out and see if they live up to their classification
So far so good on these trails, but with just 1-2" of crusty snow,
it's remotely possible my feet would have stayed dry in my regular
mesh trail shoes
Ah, now for the real test (above):
Ran right through the middle of this long puddle
and mud.  The result?
Feet and socks completely dry!

Amazing to me, but these shoes live up to their
billing.   At 9.2 ounces, not heavy, either.
Won't be my go-to trail shoe, but a good one to
have in my arsenal for cold and wet or snowy
weather.


Weekly mileage:  33

Weekly synopsis:  While 33 miles can hardly be called a renaissance, I did get out there and run 5 days for the first time in quite a while.

Weekly highlight:  Snow run in Woody Hill. 

Weekly lowlight:  Running busy Beach Street during a morning commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment