Monday, July 23, 2018

Weekly Log 16-Jul to 22-Jul-2018: The Road to the Blessing is Looking Better

Monday:  0
Really sore from Sailfest 5K.  Depressing.  John (PT) did ask me to take a couple of days off after this.  Continuing with the specific stretching exercises thrice daily.

Tuesday:  0

Wednesday:  7
AM:  Ran 10K in Needham, MA on a mix of roads, grass fields, track, and artificial turf.  This was my longest run in a month.  Actually felt pretty decent on track and artificial turf, but anything the slightest uneven or downhill was a little painful.  I guess I have to accept that I won't be doing much trail running in the immediate future.

PM:  Ran 1 mile at Westerly Fun Run.  This did not feel good at all.  I'm only supposed to be running every other day, so I should have just swallowed my pride and sat on the sidelines.

Thursday:  0
Am so sore from yesterday's runs, and not happy with myself on pushing a second run yesterday.  Went for PT evaluation #4 today, and while progress is definitely being made, it was depressing to see how weak I am.  Standing on my right (injured) leg while bouncing a ball off the wall, I had to reach out to grab things several times to avoid completely falling over.  Got a new set of exercises to also strengthen the hip area; John said to count PT sessions as cross-training and not run or cross-train on these days.

He asked me to try to run 10 miles this weekend, and if I can get that done, when I see him next week, to discuss Blessing plans, but to also take two days in a row off prior to Blessing.

Friday:  0

Saturday:  10!
So nervous about being able to complete this run.  Picked the flattest and most even surface I know:  Ninigret.  Started out with a road loop in Arnolda before jumping into the manicured flat trails at Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge.  The discomfort was there (as always lately), but somewhere about Mile 8 I "forgot" about the discomfort.  Is that possible?

Sunday:  0 run, 1 mile walk
Walk on beach in afternoon before turning back in the rain.  Pounding surf.

Weekly mileage:  17 run

Weekly synopsis:  I'm just going to keep it positive and focus on the improvement.  I've gone from 3 weeks of non-running, including 1 1/2 weeks of limping in pain, to this week where I not only ran, but finished both a 10K and 10-mile nonstop.  Solid progress. 

I'm looking forward to the Blessing next week.  I don't know if I'll have to mix in walking or run the whole thing but finish in 80 minutes, but either way it will be good to be out there and much better than sitting and sulking on the sidelines.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is completely normal to forget about the pain/discomfort. Usually it happens sooner than 8 miles into a run, eventually you'll be better or you'll train your brain to turn it off after the first 1/4 of a mile.

    ReplyDelete