Sunday, July 15, 2018

Weekly Log 9-Jul to 15-Jul-2018: Return to Running (sort of, kind of)

Finally, after a 3-week hiatus from running due to a nerve injury, I got the clearance this Monday morning to dip my toes back into running.

Monday:  3 miles run/walk
At my 3rd PT session, I was put on the treadmill for observation.  2 minutes walk at 3.5 mph - Pass.  Next 2 minutes run at 6 mph.  Was really nervous about this one, as every time I've tried running in the past 3 weeks, it's been a failure.  This time was much, much better.  Modicum of pain.  I felt really awkward, but I found the whole dreadmill experience awkward, like I was going to fall off on the side or back or keep getting sucked under like George Jetson.
Remember poor George constantly sucked under the treadmill
belt?  That was my fear today.

Despite my uneasiness on the 'mill, John Ward observed my gait, pronounced it normal, and gave me the following plan:
  • Mon:  5 minute walk, 10 run, 5 walk, 10 run, 5 walk
  • Tue:  XT (bike or swim)
  • Wed:  5 minute walk, 20 run, 5 walk, 20 run, 5 walk
  • Gradually ramp up from there
  • No training or long distance until next week
  • Keep up stretching exercises
  • Limit hills, especially downhill
  • No speedwork for 3 weeks
  • Run in 5K race on Sunday, but run easy keeping pace between 7:30 and 8
Went to Ninigret for my 1st run, primarily because it's flat.  Everything went perfect until I got to my second 10-minute run.  There was very mild pain or at least discomfort.  Got home and I was oddly sore.

Tuesday:  0 run, 20 mile bike
Woke up felt fine.  Biked a 20-mile loop out to Bradford and back through Charlestown and then Weekapaug and Misquamicut.  All went well.  Call John (PT) to give him an update and discuss the minor issues from last night's run/walk.  He asked me if I had pain when I woke up.  No, so carry on with the plan and if any issues, give him a call mid-week.  OK.

Wednesday:  6
Doubled Monday's run portions to make:  5 walk, 20 run, 5 walk, 20 run, 5 walk
Ran at Avondale on a mix of grass trails and asphalt.  Despite doubling the runs, this time it went much better.  Definitely discomfort the entire time I ran, but no pain this time.

Thursday:  0 run, 1/2 mile swim
Easy solo swim at Watchaug Pond on the measured course out-and-back.

Friday:  nada
Thought about going to Groton Fun Run and fitting in a walk/run, but ended up not doing it.  Besides, I'm supposed to avoid steep downhills for now (like in the final 1/2 mile).

Since I didn't do any exercise at all today, I made up for it with lunch calories.  That's the way it works, right?  If you can't burn off calories, at least you want to load up on them.  We had an informal work luncheon, and guess what Piggy ate for lunch?  Four slices of pizza from Pizza Place, and then topped it off with an ice cream sundae with hot fudge from Downtown Creamery.  Loved every morsel of it, and then for some strange reason, felt overstuffed and bloated all afternoon.

Saturday:  0 run, 1/3 mile swim, 15 bike
Met up with Tommy and Mikey for a swim at Winnapaug Pond.  Only where we tried to enter at the back of Old Town Beach parking lot was only up to our ankles even halfway across the pond.  Saw lots of neat crabs, but not suitable for swimming.

Take 2:  went across the street to the Atlantic Ocean.  Fought the current and waves for a while, then turn around and flew with the current.

Since Mikey rode his bike down to the beach, I asked him if we want to go out for a ride/coffee.  He was game, so we met up at my house, had a great conversation over coffee outside at Junk 'n Java, and I finished up solo along the beach.

Sunday:  4
Sailfest 5K.  Wasn't pretty, but I did it!  I'll put together a short recap.

Moron award of the week:  Got my chain sharpened and used it this afternoon on
some yard work.  I go to use it and it's not cutting at all.  I'm thinking the local shop obviously
didn't sharpen it well and I push down harder, to no avail.  I'm angry now, and get ready
to take the chain off and bring it back to the shop, when ..
-------------------
Hmm, what is this diagram and arrow I notice on the chain saw?  Oh, it's showing how the chain links
line up.  I have the damn thing on backwards.  What an idiot.  Good thing I didn't go to the stop to
complain.  Yup, it turns out it works much, much better if you actually put it on right.

Weekly mileage:
Run:  13
Ride:  35
Swim:  1

Weekly synopsis:  Progress.  Ran for the first time in three weeks.  Still quite uncomfortable, so I'm cautiously optimistic about continued improvements.  I do think cross-training and stretching will be part of my regular routine going forward. 
Plans for next week are to ramp up to running a 10K distance continuously.  I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I'm trying hard to heed the PT advice and recover from this painful injury.  Blessing in two weeks.  Obviously a fast finish is out of the picture; I just want to run the whole thing.  Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment