Saturday, August 18, 2018

Weekly Post: 6-Aug to 12-Aug-2018

Monday:  0

Tuesday:  7
Stonington Fun Run.  4-mile warm-up with Matthew, and then ran the Fun Run itself with Josh.

Wednesday:  3
Final Westerly Fun Run of the season.  With my injury, this was ironically the first one I was able to run since June.  Sad to see these end.  Average pace:  6:32; happy with that.

Thursday:  0
PT session.  Got some new exercises that are stepping it up for me.  Hopping with one foot up onto a low stool and then off is hard enough on my good foot, but on my right foot near impossible without losing my balance and falling.  This will take some time and concentrated effort.  PT sessions and evaluations starting to slow down; next one in three weeks.  No restrictions anymore on speed or distance, but the usual good advice to take it smart, back off when it hurts, and ramp up the mileage gradually.

Friday:  0
Sore

Saturday:  5 run, 2 walk
Parked early at WLT's Barlow Preserve, and 4 miles trails, 1 mile road.  Drenching rain.

Followed this up with meeting Muddy for clearing of Wahaneeta's course in advance of next Saturday's trail race.  Pretty generous of Muddy, especially given that he won't even able to make the race.  Post course clearing, I went back solo at the Land Trust request to check on a wasp nest in the outhouse that was recently sprayed.  Sounds fine.  I went to inspect and unfortunately before I could find the nest area, the wasps found me.  A swarm came after me, and I sprinted away, but not before four of those pests stung me.  THIS IS WAR!  I waited (afar) for them to calm down and now knowing where the nest is, assaulted with what was left of a nearby wasp spray can.  The nest they are rebuilding is pretty big!  Today I lost the battle, but at least not the war.


The rain stopped in time for Matthew's graduation party.
The 22' waterslide was a big hit, even for big kids like me.


Sunday:  9
Gazelle vs The Wasps, Round Two:  First headed to Wahaneeta to rid the outhouse of the wasps to save anyone else from getting stung.  (Ostensibly, looking out for the welfare of other runners is my magnanimous impetus, but the real reason is a personal vendetta to seek revenge against those pests for stinging me yesterday.)    This time I was prepared, or was I?  I snuck up on them in early morning and then double-fisted a blow of contact-killing wasp spray from a spray can in each hand.  I soaked and covered the nest with contact killing foam, and delighted in seeing the demise of their drenched nest as it fell apart and dropped piece by piece to the ground.  I was about to walk away and claim victory, just as a hubbub of wasp activity suddenly ensued and I incredulously watched a good dozen or so still alive and flying towards me.  I ran again and this time was NOT stung.  How could they survive?  When they calmed down and I studied where they were flying to/from, I discovered there was a SECOND wasp nest.  Ugh.  I would call today's battle a draw.  The saga continues ...

After the conclusion of today's wasp battle, I drove to Dave's Coffee in Charlestown and parked on the side street to commence my run.  My dessert (a vanilla iced coffee) would be my needed carrot to complete the run in the event I became recalcitrant in the hazy, hot, and humid weather.  Ran the West Beach, Central Beach, and East Beach neighborhoods and beaches in a 7:20 pace, and generally felt comfortable.  My usual hip/butt discomfort was there a few times, but uncharacteristically was not pervasive throughout the fun.  Got back to Dave's Coffee a smelly, disgusting mess, and was literally dripping sweat as I waited in line.  That iced coffee (which they readied once they saw me) was heavenly.

Weekly Mileage Totals:  24 run, 2 walk

Weekly Synopsis:  While slightly lower than last week's 28, I expect it to ebb and flow a bit and everything is moving in the right direction.

Weekly Highlight:  Running the Fun Run at a 6:32 pace.  And the waterslide, of course.

Weekly Lowlight:  Yeah, the wasps.  Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment