Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Weekly Log 15-Oct to 21-Oct-2018

Monday:  0
Normal rest day.  Core workout in the morning.
Late afternoon went to watch the final WMS XC meet of the season.
(On the theory that a rainy day watching an XC meet is better than a good day at the office.)
Fun to watch the middle schoolers, especially the ones that we see at our club's
summer Fun Run series, including Cali West here finishing 3rd.
(Her sister Kaya won, followed by Erin, and Matt Morrone won
the boys' race - all Fun Run runners!  Yeah!)
---
Also good to see our WTAC start/finish flags getting good use.

Tuesday:  0
Another zero.  Definitely avoidable, and solely on account on the idiot that thought he set his alarm to go off at 5:50 AM, but because of his gross ineptitude, set it for 5:50 PM.  Moron!

Wednesday:  7 run, 1 walk
AM:  7 miles. Finally got my lazy carcass out there.  A brisk breeze I did fight on the beach, but so comfortable to be out there in the sun and upper 40s.  Mix of running sand and road.

PM:  1 mile walk. Work offsite meetings at URI's Alton Jones campus, West Greenwich.  Had never been here before.  What a gorgeous location!  The attire today had been previously announced as jeans and comfortable clothes.  Immediately upon arrival, a colleague that I walked in with stated that she hated having to wear jeans, and was much more comfortable in a business suit.  To each his (or her) own, but we're polar opposites on that front, as I live for my jeans "Dress Down" days.

When we got a 20-minute break from our meetings, I chose to walk in a blazed trail starting from the parking lot.  Two of my colleagues started walking with me, but I as soon as I started into the woods, they both dropped me like a hot potato.  Apparently, trails and the woods in general isn't for everyone.
Site of our offsite meeting today:
Whispering Pines Conference Center,
W Alton Jones campus, West Greenwich

Thursday:  5
Barn Island noontime run.  Absolutely gorgeous day out there.  While I saw several hikers out there bundled like it was winter, at 46 degrees and sunny, I felt very comfortable in shorts and a short-sleeve shirt.  Saw absolutely no one on the single-track I ran for the first four miles, and the five or so hikers I saw were all on the double-track through the marsh and along the water.
View from Wequetequock Cove, near the end of my run.
Gorgeous running day!

Friday:  13
Woke up in the morning to an outside temp of 36 degrees and a chilly indoor temp of 55 degrees.  (We're trying to pinch pennies and not turn on the heat or gas fireplace until November; not sure if we'll make it.)  Anyhow, having taken the day off from work, I opted to do some other chores first and then run mid-morning, by which time the temps had risen to the mid-40s.  I made the mistake of overdressing and wearing a long-sleeve tech shirt, and was really sweating, especially with a tailwind.

All roads, but still really fun, as the roads through Avondale and out to Watch Hill were really quiet.  Saw a few people outside at the Watch Hill lighthouse, but otherwise my run was like a ghost town.  No complaints!  Was happy to run in the high 6s average, but my legs were certainly sore afterwards as a result.

Saturday:  6
Matthew was home from school for the weekend, so upon his suggestion he went to Bradford Preserve / Woody Hill and ran a combination of cross-country and bike paths.

Sunday:  8
Group run from Burlingame campground with Matthew, Jonathan Short, and Tommy 5K.  Rainy and mid-40s, but warmed up after a mile or so.  Was pleasantly surprised that I could follow the Brrr-lingame course through the campground.  Good run and catch-up.

Weekly mileage:  39

Weekly synopsis:  Mileage lower than I wanted, but my own dumb fault for not being qualified to operate an alarm clock on Tuesday morning.  Overall, a quality mix of trails and roads, with running in a different place every day.

Weekly highlight:  I really like the group runs, but I would say the run at Barn Island only because the weather was awesome and not having been there in a number of months, it felt like a refreshing all new area to me.

Weekly lowlight:  Yeah, missing a run two days in a row due to incompetency.


No comments:

Post a Comment