Sunday, October 28, 2018

Weekly Log 22-Oct to 28-Oct-2018: Poor Planning & a NH Half

Monday:  5
Evening darkness run to pick up car from Midas.  Headlamp on lightly traveled roads.

Reflected on how enjoyable today's working lunch was at the Cooked Goose.  My boss had a scheduled meeting with her staff, and she said she was taking a page out of my book and going to lunch for the meeting.  (I hold my own monthly staff meetings late afternoon at a rotating restaurant/bar/coffeeshop, with the choice itself rotating from colleague to colleague.  Keeps it more interesting than putting up a tired Power Point at a conference room; we have enough of those that we can't avoid.)

Anyway, today's lunch was delicious and going well until a colleague (and former boss) decided it was just fine to throw out there that she is having a colonoscopy in two days.  Great business lunch topic!  She then looks at me as if to get my experience.  Do you seriously want me to discuss the discomfort, how many times I went to the "throne", or maybe the consistency of diarrhea?  Yeah.  I just said "Horrible, horrible experience.  Next topic, please"

Tuesday:  6
Sunrise run at Ninigret Wildlife Refuge.  A little stiff in right hip, but not terrible.  Grass/gravel trails and grass fields inside the park.

Wednesday:   0
Didn't feel well; was actually dressed and ready to run at Adams Farm in Walpole, MA, but spontaneously decided to take a day off.

Thursday:  0
Poor planning on my part, and a window never opened up.

Ended the day with my monthly team meeting, this month at the Hen.  Enjoyed a hard cider on a fall day.  Nice setting with a big warm gas fireplace going.

Friday:  0
Third day in a row without running, and the second day I had relied on a window to open up during the work day that never did.  This one I had actually blocked off on the calendar to leave at 3:30pm and do an 8-mile easy run.  I got a call at about 3:15 from the head of our division's admin to tell me the division head wanted to me with me as soon as she got out of her meeting at 4pm.  Drat; she does figuratively sign my paycheck after all.  Lesson learned:  I've got to get out in the dark mornings to run; if a window opens up a later for a 2nd run in the light and sun, that will just be a bonus.

Ended the day on a positive note with dinner during Restaurant Week at the Sea Goose.  Been there for happy hour a number of times, but never for dinner.  I was gluttonous with both food and drink, and enjoyed every morsel and sip.

Saturday:  5
Chilly, cold, and rainy morning at home.  Ran to and in Champlin Preserve and Mastuxet Greenway South.  Wind was really picking up at the start of a Nor'easter, so I picked up my Halloween graveyard before departing to points north.  Really glad my race is tomorrow and not today.

Sunday:  13
Loco Half Marathon.  Race report to follow shortly.

Weekly mileage:  30

Weekly synopsis:  Really disappointed with my mileage this week.  It's always easy to find excuses, but the reality is it's entirely do my poor planning and unrealistic time assumptions.  As I write this Sunday night, my goal next week is to get my butt out there and run early morning this coming week to get it done, darkness be damned.

Weekly highlight:  Loco Half.  It was fun run in the drizzly rain at 40 degrees.  Well, maybe not so much that part, but this year overall has obviously been a let down to me with the injury and dearth of running, so just to get back out there at the half and run a decent race was a confidence builder to me.  I won't have any longer races than that in the remainder of 2018, so I'll be planning for 2019.

Weekly lowlight:  Again, two many missed running opportunities due to poor planning.




No comments:

Post a Comment