Monday, November 12, 2018

Weekly Log 5-Nov to 11-Nov-2018

Monday:  0 run, 1/4 swim
Second Monday of pool swimming at lunch.  On the plus side, I actually brought my watch this time.  On the minus, I calibrated pool length incorrectly at 25 meters instead of yards.  We'll get there ...

Tuesday:  6 run, 2 hike
AM:  2 miles cutting new trails with Westerly Land Trust at Barlow Preserve.  Right now, you can only get there from covering a good 1/2 mile on busy Route 91, but hopefully over time trails can be tied closer to the Barlow Preserve main entrance, and make easy connections to Bradford Preserve and Woody trails from there without too much asphalt.
PM:  6 mile run with Paul in Quonochontaug.  Fortunately, I brought my headlamp.

Wednesday:  10
AM:  5 miles local roads, with 2 miles at 5:43 and 5:57, 1/4 mile recovery.  On the surface and in retrospect, I guess that's not too bad.  But at the time, I remember my goals of two miles at 5:35 each, and was pretty disappointed with myself.
PM:  5 miles in Grills Westerly.  Once I got into the preserve and trails, I was fine, but even then, the whole time I was wrongly worried about the group of derelicts in the Grills parking lot on Bowling Lane up to no good and that they might do something to my car.  It seemed odd that so many came there just to hang out in the parking lot and smoke or toke, but otherwise no issue that I'm aware of.

Thursday:  6
Midday run Ninigret.  Beautiful warm, sunny, 54 degree day.  Mixed it up with roads in Arnolda, and grass and dirt trails in Ninigret.

Friday:  8
Early morning run from home around the pond.  Around the Pond loop at about 7-flat pace.  Felt great! 31 degrees; need to start getting out the winter running gear.

Saturday:  7
Solo run from Canonchet Brook Preserve, Hopkinton.  I was driving on North Road intending to park and run from dirt road section on trails around Yawgoog Pond, but as I passed the somewhat new parking lot for Canonchet Brook Preserve - North Road trailhead, I thought hmm.  Actually, I thought, this could make for an interesting run.  I had been on some, but not all of these trails, on a group run a year ago, and I remember us getting off trail a few times.  Against that backdrop, I was pleasantly surprised with how well blazed the trails were, and with a map at pretty much every intersection!
Fun stream crossings!

This was the trail after the heaving rains Friday night!
No pussy-footing around this one.

Light rain on and off for my run.  Rivers very swollen in there today.  Some fun deep stream crossings!

Sunday:  10
AM:  Avondale 5K.  Write-up to follow.
PM:  5 miles at Ninigret w/Matthew.  Started off a little sore from the morning's race, but despite progressively picking up the race from a 7:20 to a 6:30, felt fine.  Unfortunately, the wildlife refuge trails were temporarily closed, so ran Arnolda loop to get the miles in.

Weekly mileage:  47

Weekly synopsis:  Another solid week of running.  Very really happy to be getting in the mileage and feeling good.

Weekly highlight:  Avondale 5K.  I had a good race, exceeded my expectations, caught up with running friends and Land Trust friends, and helped to support one of my favorite causes, the Westerly Land Trust.

Weekly lowlight:  Running from Grills Westerly.  While my concerns on the smoking crowd damaging my car or cause trouble turned out to be unfounded, it was just an uncomfortable feeling the whole time I was there.

1 comment:

  1. I get wiggy with some of the specimens in Grills, there were even a few in Bluff Point (parking lot and on the trails). Did I lock my car? Did I hide my purse? Gak I hope they aren't there when I get back. Guess I should perhaps have concerned myself with being a female alone in the woods, until now that actually never crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete