Thursday, July 25, 2019

Weekly Log 15-Jul to 21-Jul-2019: Heat Wave and a Return of Brady

Monday:  0
Planned total rest day.  Actually fairly sore from what I thought was a pretty easy ride and then run yesterday.

Tuesday:  5
Flew to NC in afternoon.  $34 from Providence!  Very hot run (95 degrees) in Durham, NC.  And that was at 6pm!  As I was running, I was thinking that this weather reinforces that turning down the job move here in 2014 was the right thing to do.  I'm just not a heat person.

After I got off the main road, the path I ran on
gave at least some shade and protection.

Felt like jumping in here.
I know I'm cheap, but suggesting a 30% tip?!  Really?

Wednesday:  3
Long drive back from NC, where I met up with Mark and Brady halfway on their trek home from Tampa.  The car A/C is broken.  Ugh.  So the entire ride back was in the 90s with hot air blowing in through open windows.   Did I mention that I'm not a heat person?
My old Volvo wagon, which I gave to Mark,
is still in great condition and running at 206K miles.
(We got the A/C fixed upon return to RI.)
Brady, in foreground, is home for a 5-week visit.

Stopping at this busy rest area along I-95,
I asked Mark for Brady's leash, and he's said it's
packed in the back and I didn't need it.
OK.  So I let Brady out of the car, and sure enough he just stayed right
with me, even when leashed dogs went past and barked at him.
I ended up driving the whole way back to RI, because I somehow didn't get tired.  I was home about 15 minutes, when it was time for the Fun Run.  So many people thanked me for helping to put on the Fun Runs and said they had fun, and that it made it all worth it.  Personally, I ran with Mike B for the whole 5K route and enjoyed conversing with him.  Mostly, it was two old guys whining about their old age ailments.

Thursday:  0
I am really sore today.  I'm hoping it's only because of sitting in the car for 12+ hours yesterday, and not an easy paced 5K.

Friday:  6 run, 2 walk
Another year.  Double Nickel.  55.  I feel very old.

Took Brady with me to Burlingame picnic area, and we ran 6 miles of trails.  My stiff shoulder seemed to loosen up as I ran.  The last two miles he was dragging a bit.  Both of us cooled off in Watchaug Pond at the end of the run.
A random screw, completely screwed in.  How on earth could that
happen?
We started out with a strict rule of dog not allowed on any
furniture, and certainly not a wet dog just back from swimming in
Watchaug Pond.  Yeah, I'm way too soft in my old age.

In the evening, Jana suggested we take Brady for a walk in Watch Hill.  OK, sounds good.  Brady seemed to enjoy it, and I know we did as well.
Brady in Watch Hill



Man's best friend

Saturday:  0
Four cars home now for the rest of the summer.
If shuffling cars around in the driveway is the worst downside
of having everyone home, then it's a non-issue for me.
This is just disgusting.  Here in Westerly along the coast,
some years the temp never hits 90 degrees.  Today reached the low 90s
even in Westerly, and close to 100F in Providence.  Ugh.
Escaping the heat with Brady awkwardly wrapping himself around me in a
neighbor's pool (yes, they invited Brady in;
it's salt water, not chlorinated)



He just could not figure out how to get in the pool on his own


Sunday:  2
AM run fail.  Could barely reach down and touch my knees.  Could NOT lift my right arm one iota, not one inch.  Scary.  What is this fresh hell?  I tried running in the neighborhood, but didn't last one minute with the pain and awkward gait.  Walked home frustrated and depressed.

Got the lawn mowed (I can actually do that again) and a fair amount of yard work done, so I appreciated getting something accomplished at least.

In the evening, I was limber again as the meds had kicked in, and I took Brady out for a walk at North Camp (until we were consumed by deer flies and picked up the pace), then stopped by my brother Greg's house and Brady ran crazily in his back yard with Greg's two yellow labs as I caught up with my brother.
The black dog got temporary relief from the heat and the deerflies.

Brady, come back.  Where is he going?

Weekly mileage:  16 run, 2 walk

Weekly synopsis:  I'm certainly better than last week when I wasn't taking Prednisone at all.  This week I'm able to move with a lot more mobility, at least in the afternoons and evenings.  I'm looking forward to getting in to see the rheumatologist and getting a confirmation and a fresh look at the treatment and drug dosage, but I have yet to be able even to secure an appointment as the medical system moves so incredibly slowly.

Weekly highlight:  6-mile run and swim on Friday.  Most exercise all week.

Weekly lowlight:  Morning stiffness on Sunday morning.  I've read that's a symptom of PMR, and it was certainly evident, scary, and frustrating Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment