Sunday, July 28, 2019

Weekly Log 22-Jul to 28-Jul-2019: Zig Zag

Miscellaneous Ramblings:

  • I must be naive, as I never realized until now the band name "The Doobie Brothers" was chosen for their penchant for, well, doobies.  I thought they were just brothers in a band, like, "The Allman Brothers Band".  Yeah, I guess the surname "Doobie" sounds a little suspicious, but I never put it together.  Crazy!
  • A planned fall marathon is out the window for me.  I was hoping to run either Steamtown or Mohawk Hudson, but I have to be realistic at present on my limitations and lack of running.  So glad I got in the Myrtle Beach Marathon in the spring this year.
Monday:  4
As soon as I got up and hobbled downstairs in pain, I knew any running was out the window.  Like yesterday morning, I was very creaky and again couldn't lift my right arm.  Took my morning dose of Prednisone with breakfast while pondering that I just don't foresee I'll be able to run in the mornings anytime soon, and I'll have to change up my routine.  Fortunately, there are plenty of runs and races in the evenings in the summer, and hopefully (?) by the end of the summer things will improve.

As usual, I feel much better in the afternoon and evening.  Went with Matthew (with his own set of ailments) and Brady to Ninigret Park after dinner.  Ran mostly grass at Ninigret.  Started off with sharp pain in the shoulders, but that dissipated as I ran further.  Felt good overall.

Tuesday:  0

Wednesday:  2 walk, 3 run
Worked in MA today.  Was hoping for a run/walk before work.  Avoided the trails as deerflies are really bad, especially if you're walking.  Went to the track and walked two miles.  Tried several times to at least jog for short spurts, but just not possible.  I'm glad nobody talked to me, as I was in a pretty foul mood and needed to give myself a good talking to, in over to avoid sulking at work.
In front of the Wellesley, MA office is busy and ugly I-95.
In back of the office is beautiful trails with this view of the Charles River.

In the evening back in RI, I ran most of the Fun Run with Muddy.  Shoulder pain yes, but pretty mild, and felt quite loosened up running.  About a 6:40 pace.  Yes, I was breathing like a dinosaur, but still pretty happy with that.

Thursday:  0
Runs just take too much out of me lately, so while I always like to have a shakeout before a race (Blessing is tomorrow), since tomorrow is truly just about finishing, I'll save my energy.

Friday:  10
It seems like every day is something different.  This morning it's trouble walking up and down the stairs, with a lot of pain.  Come on Prednisone, kick in before tonight's Blessing and limber me up again.  Thank God (or whomever) that Blessing is an evening race.
Please, no more stairs.  Too painful.
(At Westerly Town Hall, awaiting my number to be
called for DMV, before I realized there's also an elevator.)
See separate write-up on Blessing.

Saturday:  0
Very sore in the morning, then surprisingly felt good in the afternoon and was able to attend an annual family seafood bake / pool party.

Sunday:  0

What I intended to do:  Go for a coastal bike ride with the guys and hopefully a stop at a coffee shop.  As a back-up plan, if this didn't work, I also got an invite from my cousins to meet up and go to the beach (they come to RI but once per year, and some of them just once every few years).

What I actually did:  After a fitful, tough night, woke up to the alarm at 6:15am to get ready for our 7am ride.  I was actually scared as I found out I could not physically raise either of my legs.  This PMR thing does not take a linear progression, as my previously frozen right arm was functioning just fine today.  But without leg control, it's really hard to get out of bed.  It took me a long time, but with a lot of effort and pain and grabbing onto things, I was able to do it.  Stayed out of bed only long enough to visit the bathroom and tell the guys I'd have to take a raincheck, then reversed the painful process of getting back into bed.  There's no way I could get on a bike, or play and swim at the beach.  Ugh!  Frustrating is an understatement, as I started thinking about my own mortality, the lack of quality in my life of late, and the fear of one day soon I won't be able to get out of bed at all.  I've got to stop that thinking and realize there are plenty of people worse off, but it's hard.

After spending the entire beautiful Sunday summer morning lying supine in bed and on the couch, I got up about Noon time and with the aid of Prednisone, was finally able to walk a bit with a minimal of limping and pain.  By early afternoon, I was once again able to lift both legs and was feeling reasonably better as I got out and mowed the lawn and then went to dinner at Sea Goose with some of the cousins that were still in RI vacationing.

Weekly mileage:  17 run, 2 walk

Weekly highlight:  Finishing my 17th consecutive Blessing.

Weekly lowlight:  Scary pain and lack of mobility on Sunday morning.  I'm dreading tonight as the Prednisone wears off and I return to my crippled state.  I'm also nervous about tomorrow, as so far the neurologist hasn't even reviewed my case and thus I can't get an appointment, so I'll have to reach out to my PCP again as my prescription will run out soon and he said no more.  This will make for an interesting discussion.  At least my orthopedic doctor seems to be backing me, so I have a second option while I wait out the ridiculous delays in even getting an appointment to be scheduled.


No comments:

Post a Comment