Sunday, October 20, 2019

Weekly Log 14-Oct to 20-Oct-2019: Another Good Week

Monday:  5
Columbus Day morning.  I had originally envisioned a techy, rocky run in Yawgoog, but as I woke up to rain, I figured I'd leave the rocks to a day when they were drier.

Ran the Kimball and Burlingame trail section of this year's Li'l Rhody.  Equipped with a pair of loppers, I took out a few overgrown and overhanging sections before dropping the loppers at the car and running a bunch of Kimball and Kettle Pond trails.  Light rain.

Matthew was home for Columbus Day weekend, and as he wanted to visit New England Aquarium on his way back to UNH, we figured we'd go with him for some family time, as none of us had been in years.  Drove in to the city, enjoyed the aquarium, walked around Boston a bit, had a light dinner at Legal Seafood on the harbor, and dropped him off at the train station for his train back to Durham, NH.
Penguins!

This boy is big!

I love sharks.  Well, maybe not if I encountered one in the
open ocean, but up close behind glass is pretty cool.

How many fish are in this picture?


Just beautiful!
Tuesday:  5
Continuing yesterday's theme, I ran one of the newer and less utilized sections of this year's Rhody course with loppers.  While trimming on Sammy C's, where I almost never see anyone, a guy on a bike comes up the trail.  Mike Galoob!  I asked if he bikes or runs more lately, and he said definitely biking.  It really gets dark much earlier now, and I almost ran out of daylight by the time I got back to my car.

Wednesday:  6
After working in Providence, a stop in Arcadia Management Area seemed like a good place for a run.  Hudson to Breakheart Pond, around the pond, along the river out to Frosty Hollow Pond, Deion Trail, NST, and Mount Tom back to parking area.  Beautiful day out there!

Thursday:  7
88% of Westerly without power today, after a peak of 70mph winds.  Just about all downtown businesses were closed, but unfortunately my employer has to be the one to remain open with a bank of generators.  Waited 'til late afternoon, then hit the trails at Wahaneeta, into Woody Hill as far as Bradford Preserve, and back around the pond.  A lot of branches and trees down.  Was surprised and disappointed to see that two weeks after the NEMBA bike event, there are still many course marker signs stapled to trees, as well as some downed and blowing around on the trails.  I just hope DEM or others don't see them and falsely tag them with our event or our club.  I ran past, but not onto, Hansel & Gretel.  While I was happy to see some pine needles down on the trail with the recent wind, I figured I'd give the trail more time to "heal".
I finished up the last mile of my run by being a
Good Samaritan to the forest by freeing this
letter E (?) helium balloon from a small tree
and dragging it out the woods and disposing of it.
Don't release helium balloons, people!
Friday:  6
Warm, late afternoon run in Burlingame.  Picked up and threw a lot of sticks and branches off the trail on Sammy C's in advance of Li'l Rhody race, but also ran on Schoolhouse Pond trail for the first time in a long time.  There was only one blowdown on Sammy C's that I couldn't clear:  a big tree that that you can just jump onto and over.  Schoolhouse Pond had a bigger obstruction that will need a chainsaw or detour, as will the short section of NST trail from Buckeye Brook Road to Vin Gormley, right near start of Lenny Lane.

I forgot how fun the Schoolhouse Pond Trail is!

Saturday:  10
Li'l Rhody course preview with Justin P, Kevin M, and an encounter with Jonathan running Sammy C's in the reverse direction as us.  Two blowdowns which I'll come back with a chainsaw and take care of this weekend, and thanks to the gang picking up and throwing a lot of branches on the trail, the course is looking really good!  I'm really excited about this race!

Justin and Kevin were both very gracious to offer to come back with me later to clear the blowdowns, but I went back with Jana and my Ryobi chainsaw in the afternoon and we cleared them pretty quickly.
Decluttering:  Packed up the car with years' worth of collected
junk, and headed to the transfer station.  If you were looking for that last XT
computer, modem, or 10-year old tires with rusty rims, you missed your chance.
Hopefully my accumulation stage (of junk) is in the rear view mirror.
After that, it was off to a new (to me) restaurant that Jana had picked out:  Golden Palace in Montville.  Exceeded my expectations!  I ordered (in Cantonese) a couple of authentic Chinese vegetable and steamed fish dishes that I recognized and had regularly eaten when I worked for many months on computer projects in Hong Kong back in the 90s.  (The restaurant owners were from Hong Kong.)  Really brought back positive memories of working and exploring during my numerous visits to the then British colony of Hong Kong.

Sunday:  14!
Tri-town MLR to/from Arcadia Y, with two 2-mile interval runs.  This one beat me up pretty good.  There are some rolling hills for sure, and 5+ miles were on soft dirt roads, where I ran the intervals, but still legs are feeling it post-run more than I had expected.  I really like [most of] this route, as it's just way out on rural country roads without traffic or humans.

While I was hoping my "hard" splits would have been faster (6:23, 6:23, 6:23, 5:34), [first three of those miles on rolling dirt roads, final hard mile on asphalt downhill], I felt good overall.  Until I stopped and knew something was wrong.  I won't gross out my readers with TMI, but let's just say that was the start of multiple instances of Gross Hematuria.  I'm really hoping it was purely exercised induced by upping the distance and intensity from what I've done anytime recently, and will go away in a day or two.  My aging body doesn't need any more maladies.  Definite complete rest day tomorrow.

Weekly mileage:  52

Weekly synopsis:  Second consecutive week of 50+ mileage!  Nineteen straight days of running, longest streak since last December.  Longest single run since Myrtle Beach Marathon in March.  Yeah, I would say it was a good week for me!

Weekly highlight:  Getting 14 miles in on rolling hills, with speed intervals.

Weekly lowlight:  The price paid for above highlight.  Hematuria.  'Nuff said.

3 comments:

  1. So Dig Sharks As Well - I Sure Know The Recycling Gig - Many Thanx For Being The Good Samaritan

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't have let Galoob pass without promising to bring back the winter trail series. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I was shocked to see him, and wasn't quick enough! I'd love to see it, but I'm not optimistic.

      Delete