Sunday, October 27, 2019

Weekly Log 21-Oct to 27-Oct-2019: Building Back My Running Confidence

Monday:  0
Planned rest day after 19 days straight running, and a minor malady yesterday.

Tuesday:  10
AM:  4 mile easy local roads before work.  Good stress-buster before my 7th interview in 3 weeks; hope to wrap this up soon.  Also a recovery day after my hard 14-miler two days ago.  Everything feeling back to normal.

Another month ... another drop in Prednisone dosage.  Yea!  No adverse effects thus far.  Now taking 1/2 of the maximum daily dosage (10mg) I was using from late summer.  I'll see the rheumatologist around Thanksgiving to get the next evaluation and steps from there.

PM:  6 miles late afternoon from Li'l Rhody sponsor Dave's Coffee in Charlestown.  Ran with Paul and Justin P before meeting up with three other WTAC Clamshell committee members for deciding 2019 awards for the club Christmas party and 2020 events.

Wednesday:  7
New Haven, CT.  Run from downtown to East Rock Park, with a ~400' elevation climb.  Ran with my New Haven based colleague, who is also running Boston.  Other than the final ascent, I felt really good on today's run.  Average pace 6:47, with low 6s final three miles.

Nice walk through a village green downtown, as part of my 1-mile walk from
Amtrak's Union Station to the building I work in
Thursday:  7
Barn Island, Stonington, CT.  Beautiful weather late afternoon with temps in low 60s and sunny.  Unfortunately, my favorite single-track trails are just overgrown and I got cut up many times by overgrowth, mostly in the form of briars.  The trails just don't get enough traffic, I guess.  Hopefully a hard frost will help, but I might need to go in there with loppers as well.

Friday:  8
'Round the pond.
  • Plan:  Run 2 miles easy (7-ish), 4 hard (6:20s), 2 cool-down (mid 7s).
  • Actual:  Ran 2 miles at 6:45 pace, 5 at 6:10-6:15 pace, final mile at 6:30, for an average 6:24.  Just felt great out there today and went with it.
In the evening, I pulled a tick off my head.  Ugh.  Disgusting, vile creatures.  One more reason I'll be happy to get a hard frost.  It wasn't embedded, so I'm hoping it didn't have opportunity to pass me Lyme or any other fun tick-borne infestations.

Saturday:  8
Ninigret run with Muddy.  Mostly trails, with some park roads mixed in.  Good conversation and catch up.

While volunteering at a paper shredding event mid-morning, an elderly woman asked me if I had gotten clawed by an animal.  Hmm?  Um, no.  Then she pointed to my legs with all the scratches.  Ahh.  No, just briars from trail running, ma'am.

Sunday:  15
Burlingame solo trail run in light rain.  Pretty soaked by the end, but didn't bother me at all.  Changed into dry clothes when done and got a hot coffee on drive home.  Trails in great shape.  Didn't see a single person on the trails this morning.
New blazes on North-South Trail.  Am I mistaken,
or were the former blazes a lighter and more
visible shade of blue?

Weekly mileage:  56

Weekly synopsis:  Third consecutive fifty-plus week.  Pretty even mix between roads and trails.  I'm really feeling great, and got some solid runs in this week.  Contemplating running a trail race next week as kind of a tune-up and fitness check for Rhody.

Weekly highlight:  It's a toss up between today's 15-miler at Burlingame, and Friday's unplanned "fast" run (8 miles at 6:24 pace), but I'm going with the latter.  I know I'm not setting any land speed records, and it wasn't a race, but just felt really good getting in that kind of run without maximum exertion and without any issues.

Weekly lowlight:  Ticks.  Absolutely disgusting.  I've had three different tick diseases, some multiple times, and I sure hope I dodged a bullet this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment