Sunday, December 1, 2019

Weekly Log 25-Nov to 1-Dec-2019: Thanksgiving Week

Monday:  6
Late afternoon loop from Avondale through Watch Hill and back.  Ran a little on the beach, but it was high tide and I got my feet soaked with fast crashing waves.  Just a beautiful afternoon out there.

That afternoon I went back to the rheumatologist.  The short story is pending lab results and how I progress on weaning off Predisone, I could be drug-free in eight weeks!

That evening I was one of many attending BLS' Celebration of Life.  I had surmised there would be a huge turnout, but it was beyond my expectations.  The event at Haversham House in Westerly was very well done, with numerous running shirts that her husband Dave had setup, and many, many photos.  Dave kept it very light and told a funny story of Gus (Beth's favorite dog) being adopted, with his story accompanied by a slide show, and told from the perspective of Gus.  It was just amazing to see the number of people there, and it was indicative of how many people
 that Beth had touched in her life.

Tuesday:  7
Hampton Beach, NH.  Late afternoon with Matthew in the dark.  Felt good throughout.

Wednesday:  4
Easy shake-out in Weekapaug.  With Brady for all four miles, and Matthew for a little over half until he succumbed to his seemingly injury du jour.

Thursday:  7
Thanksgiving Day!  Pie Run, Middletown, RI.  Write-up forthcoming.

Friday:  11
Bluff Point & Haley Farm State Parks, Groton, CT.  This was the most flooded I had ever seen the place.  We (Matthew, Brady, and I) quickly ran into a section of trail that was just completely flooded over.  Of course Brady was happy to run right into the water, but we turned around and sought detours on higher grounds.  Brady ran with us for seven miles, and although he still seemed fine, we returned him reluctantly to the car while Matthew and I went out to Haley Farm, made a loop, and finished up at eleven.  I was really dragging the final mile or two.


Brady ran right into the water at every chance he got.

Saturday:  8
Ninigret Park, Charlestown.  Late afternoon into dusk with Matthew and Brady.  Brady had already run 2.5 miles in the morning with Jana, then spent time sprinting in the front yard playing "fetch" with his ball, and finally 8 miles running in the afternoon.  I wish I had that kind of boundless energy.

Really a very satisfying day.  Not just the run, but getting a lot of final fall yard work done, including a lower cut and final mow of the year, sanding and repainting our mailbox post, cutting up a downed tree in our backyard for firewood, and even getting a few Christmas lights up.

Ever had "chayote squash" before?  I hadn't,
and it tasted great on this salad with avocado, beets, and goat cheese.
Dinner (at Amigos) was a "Blanco Y Negro Sesame Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna"
with mango pico de gallo and corn risotto.  Long wait for the food, but it was really good.
Sunday:  12
Around the pond with Matthew, with a few extended miles.  Don't know if I would have finished 12 miles on my own, as I felt I was dragging most of the run.  Good run.  24 degrees at start; warmed up in a mile or so.

Weekly mileage:   55

Weekly synopsis:  Really happy with my mileage this week.  50s should be the norm through December.

Weekly highlight:  The Pie Run.  Despite the wind and hill at Mile 4, this was still a really fun run and good way to start Thanksgiving Day.

Weekly lowlight:  Coming close to getting hit by a car in Hampton, NH.  Despite being in a crosswalk and wearing bright yellow and a headlamp, I was momentarily horrified when a stopped car suddenly lunged towards me.  Sometimes running on roads with distracted drivers can be scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment