Monday, December 16, 2019

Weekly Log 9-Dec to 15-Dec-2019: More Snow Runs!

Miscellaneous Ramblings:
  • Overheard from a couple dining at the next table:  "I've had enough of this winter already."  Well, I hate to break it to you, but winter hasn't even started yet.
  • Before test-driving a car (for Mark to replace the totaled Volvo) recently, the salesperson asked me twice, "Are you sure you know how to drive manual?".  I'm thinking most people my age know how to drive them, but few people Mark's age.  Am I wrong?
  • At a separate dealership, the salesperson randomly asked me, "Have you turned 60 yet?".  I can't say I'm that far off, but do I really look that old?
Monday:  0
Planned break after Christmas 10K.

Tuesday:  0
Unplanned, but with a day of pouring rain, just wasn't in to it today.

Wednesday:  4
4" of fresh snow!  Took Brady to Bradford Preserve, and he loved it!  Lots of sprints in the snow, while I started setting up for tomorrow night's Jingle Bell Run, by flagging before the ground re-freezes.
Brady sprinted in the snow, while I put down flags.

The snow was coming down pretty good.
Neat contrast of white flakes against his black coat.

He was having fun back in the field

Thirsty at the end of the run.  This collapsible bowl is great.

Thursday:  5
2 miles setting up LED-lit signs with Kevin, and then 3 miles on the Jingle Bell Run itself.

Fun evening afterwards with WTAC running community.

Friday:  10
AM:  2 miles.  Final sweep of Jingle Bell course, and picking up piles of signs and flags that Paul had dropped.  He did an awesome job sweeping the course last night.

PM:  8 miles.  Battle Road Trail at Minuteman National Historic Park, Concord, MA.  Stopped here and ran with Matthew on drive back from UNH.  Ran here a few years back, and Matthew and I had planned to run it again, but just never seemed to work out.  Until today.  Most of the trail was snow covered, which made it a little slow going in spots, but still really fun.

Saturday:  8
Carter Preserve, Charlestown.  Run with Matthew and Brady.  Drizzly 55 degrees.  Wore a singlet in this crazy warm weather, but took it off mid-run when I started to get nipple chafing?  TMI?  I said I would stay out of trails during shotgun season, but no shotguns allowed in Carter.  Bow hunting only.  The only other person we saw was a woman out walking her own Lab on the Grassland Mile section.

I hadn't been in Carter in quite a while, and I had forgotten how cool this preserve is.

Sunday:  10
Point-to-point run with Matthew from Kingston station to Narragansett Pier.  7 miles on South County Bike Path, and final three on roads.  Just under 7 pace overall.  Struggled a bit on this run, and after Matthew dropped me on last two miles (I certainly don't want to hold him back), I managed to pick it up a bit to 6:40, but that was all I had.

It was fun to run point-to-point on this route.  It was interesting to see that the bike path has actually been extended a little bit in Narragansett and now appears to end at Sprague Park.

Weekly mileage:  39

Weekly synopsis:  A really low mileage that was planned that way, as tomorrow I commence my 18-week marathon training plan.  A fun week overall with snow runs and a mix of runs I hadn't done in a while.

Weekly highlight:  The run in the falling snow on Tuesday.  There's no run like a snow run!

Weekly lowlight:  Seeing the snow go away.  I wish we had consistent weather with snow staying on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment