Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Weekly Log 17-Feb to 23-Feb: Presidential Recovery Week

Monday:  8 run, 2 walk
Presidents' Day holiday!  The bank I work for is quite generous with both holidays (11 per year), plus vacation time and work/life balance.

It was a beautiful sunny and warm 47 degrees today.  Yes, I think we should have snow instead, but since we don't, I'll take today's weather.  Went to Haley Farm State Park, and I think for the first time ever, I ran entirely within the Haley Farm property.  This was good, as it forced me to try new trails, and I didn't really care where I ended up since I had the whole day off.  The trails up to Fitch HS were a bit overgrown and uninteresting, whereas the trails opposite the tracks from "Amtrak sprint" segment were just a blast.
Crappy picture on my crappy phone,
but we did find a few short technical sections out there!

King of the hill.  This was a neat trail.

Nice view of the cove on a warm February day.
In the afternoon went to Kimball Preserve and hiked with Brady, Jana, and neighbor Beth.  The latter two had never been to the tower near Kettle Pond Visitor Center, so I took them there.  Beautiful views of Block Island this afternoon.

Tuesday:  0 run, 700 yard swim
Back to work.  Yet another rainy bleak February day.  Swapped my usual swim lunch break to today.  Effort is getting easier.

Wednesday:  3
Just didn't have it today.  A planned run from Arcadia Y got nixed when the planned meeting there got moved.  Went to the Barn late afternoon and oddly just never got into the run, despite it being 40 degrees and sunny.  Circled back to the car and called it a day.  It happens.  Fortunately not often.  My more usual culprit is that I don't start the run in the first place.

Thursday:  10
AM:  5 with Brady.  Winnapaug Farm Preserve and Champlin Glacier Preserve.  20° and sunny.  Went down pretty hard early in Champlin, with my knee hitting a rock and my shoulder another rock.  I was thrilled again that my companion immediately retreated to check on me and stay with me when I went down.  My shoulder still hurts as I write this twelve hours later, but I'm confident it's just bruised and will be fleeting.  Maybe some Vitamin I before I got to bed, and hopefully good in the morning.

PM:  5 solo at Napatree.  Chilly in just a shirt (well, and shorts too) but enjoyable circumnavigating the peninsula just before sundown.  Nobody out there.

Friday:  5
Avondale on a chilly February afternoon.  Solo and easy after work.  Several dogs there getting some exercise.  All were very friendly.  One came up to me and wanted to run with me.

Saturday:  16
Solo long run from Arcadia Y in Richmond.  Very rural country roads up into Exeter, and back through Hopkinton.  I like this route because many of the roads are so quiet that you can just run in the middle of the road and not worry about cars or exhaust.  Some of the roads are dirt for miles at a stretch.

There are two climbs of 200' or more, and they came late in my run.  Couldn't help slowing down to 7:30 pace on those, but overall was really happy to just eke out sub-7 on average for the whole run.
Man's best friend:
Took a short post-run nap, and woke up to find this thing
on top of me sleeping!

Sunday:  8
Run with dog at Woody Hill.  25 degrees at start and warmed up quickly.  Trails dry and in great condition.  CW loop starting from Fallon Trail, through Wahaneeta, up to Bradford Preserve property, and back along the east side of Woody Hill Marsh.  Fun run and good end to the week.

Weekly mileage:  50

Weekly synopsis:  Planned lower mileage "recovery" week.  Turned out just fine.  Time to ramp it back up a bit next week.

Weekly highlight:  From a fun factor, the Presidents' Day run at Haley Farm.  From a getting it done perspective, the hilly 16-miler on Saturday.

Weekly lowlight:  The fact that I tried really hard to run 6:40s or so on the hilly long run, and ended up just barely breaking 7-flat overall.  Yes, there were more hills there than Boston, but it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling on pace.  Two months to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment