Sunday, February 9, 2020

Weekly Log 3-Feb to 9-Feb-2020: Lazy Slug

Monday:  0
Day off

Tuesday:  4
Not sure what I had last night that didn't agree with me, but the run was abbreviated as it was punctuated by multiple PM attacks.  Don't worry, I'm not going to describe consistency or color, but it wasn't pleasant.  It was the reverse of me waiting for Brady to do his business, as he had wait for my stops.  Fortunately, I was close to home with plenty of woods.

Wednesday:  5
Work and car woes meant I had no daylight window for running.  (The work woes are contract deadline for a new project starting up in New Haven that I'm responsible for.  The car woes are I couldn't turn the key and the car had to be towed; the local shop can't fix it, so it had to be towed to the near Audi dealer [New London], who has a 5-day estimate and 4-figure bill to replace and reprogram the cylinder lock in the ignition.  Ugh.)

Barn Island Management Area.  After-work run in the dark, with Brady.   I feel like I know most of those trails like the back of my hand, but it sure was humbling in the dark.  I followed my usual CW perimeter loop, or so I thought.  I must have missed a turn (or taken an erroneous turn) somewhere, as I came up to a 2-way trail intersection and had NO idea where I was.  Turn left?  I guess?  Eventually ran into familiarity, but later had trouble finding trail turnoffs that are easy to find in the daylight.

Anyway, despite that, when I was on the trail, running tight single-track through the trees was such a blast and exhilarating in the dark.

Thursday:  11
Alarm went off at 6:20am to go out for a run.  Dark, 34°, raining.  No thanks.  Wimped out.

The weather wasn't all that much better when I left work at 3:30 and went for a run.  40°, gray, drizzly.  Ran from the Y on the 1st half of the Boombridge loop, and then looped back through Old Hopkinton Cemetery Road.

My faith in humanity ebbs and flows.  At the intersection of Chase Hill Road and Route 3 in Hopkinton, I stepped into the crosswalk and waited for a car to stop.  Not one, not two, not three ..., but TEN cars went by without stopping.  I was in the roadway, standing in the crosswalk, it was light out, and I was wearing bright neon yellow clothing, so they did see me.  BTW, it wasn't that the eleventh car stopped for me, but rather that there was enough of a gap before the 11th car that I went for it and bolted across Route 3.  I know, you just have to let these things go, but it was frustrating.
Maybe there should be more highly visible signs like this at crosswalks?
Or would it matter?
About a mile later, a Westerly police cruiser completely crossed the center line to drive on the opposite side of the road for me, and then finishing up my run and re-crossing Route 3 near downtown Westerly (Grove Street), a car promptly stopped for me at that crosswalk.  So a modicum of faith restored.

Friday:  0
Another zero.  Pathetic.  I have my reasons, but it's always easy to find excuses, isn't it?

Saturday:  14
WTAC/WLT group run, Grills Preserve, Westerly.  Group of 14 showed up for a run CCW navigation of Grills.  Sun was out and temps in the high 20s.  Gorgeous views from the top of Big Hill.

Sunday:  20  12
Planned out a 2-loop run the night before:  8 solo 'round the pond, followed by 12 with Brady and part of the Run While You Can crew.

Alarm went off at 6am, and with it dark and cold outside, the pansy side of my brain convinced me that I should reset the alarm for one hour later, go back to sleep, and then simply reverse the order of two planned loops.

The 12-mile loop went fine.  Ran with Mikey B for 5 of the 12 miles, and Brady for all 12.  Brady was having a ball and for the few miles we ran on the beach, he repeatedly would dart in and out of the ocean and then sprint on the sand.  By the time we got back home, I was getting tired already and with Brady having so much sand in his fur now, decided giving him a bath was a good idea.  After that, I was feeling a little sore and had lost all interest in going out for another 8 miles solo.
Some post-run (and post shower and bath) downtime
with my canine friend.
Finished out the day with the three of us going out of a hike at Burlingame - North Camp.  Not the mileage I was looking for today, but still an enjoyable day with plenty of fresh air.

Weekly mileage:  47

Weekly synopsis:  Pretty pathetic, actually.  Low mileage and no long run at all.

Weekly highlight:  The group trail run at Grills Preserve.  It was beautiful weather, the trails were [mostly] dry, and I felt good introducing a number of runners to Grills who had otherwise never been there.

Weekly lowlight:  Pure laziness and excuses.  Mind over matter should be pretty easy, right?  I've got some work to do in this department.

No comments:

Post a Comment