Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Hare Hop 5K

Mystic, CT
Saturday, March 7, 2020

Hare Hop was my first 5K or running race ever for that matter, way back in 2003.  I've long worn out the story, so since I'm old and keep repeating the same stories, I might as well highlight it again, at least with the Reader's Digest condensed version:

I had been running all of 1-2 mile runs with a high school friend of mine, when he convinced me to sign up for a 5K, specifically for the Hare Hop 5K.  After learning how long a 5K is and signing up, I was committed.  That is, until I woke up race morning to a downpour.  I gave him a call to confirm I wasn't coming because the race obviously would be called off as runners don't run in the rain, right?  The names he called me aren't really printable here.  Let's just say he told me in no uncertain terms to get my ass down there.  Well, OK then.

So I toed the line in the pouring rain, wearing (no word of a lie) cotton sweatpants and a cotton sweatshirt over my cotton t-shirt.  For at least the last half of the race, I had to keep tugging at my now soaked and heavy cotton sweatpants to prevent them for completely falling down my legs.  Drenched, heavy, and awkward, I finished in 23:xx and you'd think that would be my cue to quit running forever.  On the contrary, I was hooked, and worked up to every distance that year culminating with completing the Philadelphia Marathon that fall.

Fast forward 17 years.  There was no rain to be had this year.  It was breezy out there, sunny, and about 28° when I arrived.  I registered, met up with newest WTAC member Dave Goodrich, and went for a short warm-up.  No cotton sweatpants today!  Surprisingly, about 300 runners showed up!  Stripped down to short shorts and a singlet and toed the line.
Some of the WTAC crew pre-race.

Mile 1:   Lined up in the second row.  The course starts and finishes by running through the back roads of the Mystic Village before exiting onto a side road (Coogan Boulevard).  I was huffing and puffing from the start, while Brandy LeClair was talking to me about her injuries and recovery.  Fortunately, she was doing the talking so I just had to listen and grunt an occasional acknowledgment.
Start of the race.  I'm in 2nd row with yellow hat and yellow shoes.

Once we left the village, she took off ahead of me.  I could see newest WTAC member Dave just ahead of her.  A slight headwind could explain some, but certainly not all of a slow mile split:  6:09.
About 1/2 mile in, with WTAC teammate Nick on my tail.

Mile 2:  Deer Ridge Road features a 75' climb, but it's spread out and not bad at all.  I was so surprised to catch and pass Dave here on the uphill.  Went wide at the turnaround cone, as I'm really bad at negotiating these.  Halfway split 10:02.

Brandy was just ahead of me now and I gazelled back downhill, catching and passing her and one other.  I'm not a fan of OAB race courses, but the one benefit is after the turnaround seeing all the runners coming at you, and progressively thinking they've got a long ways to go.  Mile 2 split 6:15.

Mile 3:  A mostly flat final mile, with only a 25' hill climb, remains.  Pushed it in chasing runners half my age.  Almost caught one, but finished just behind him in 5th.  Finally eked out a sub-6 mile (5:59).
2.5 miles.  Working my way back.
Finishing up in the village.

Final results:  19:09.  5th overall out of 275.  1st in age group.  Full results here
Post-race with a few more WTAC'ers.

Not a great finishing time for me, but a surprising negative split.  There was a long, long wait for awards due to some issue, but since the awards ceremony was inside with free pizza and we had a WTAC table, it's wasn't bad hanging out!
Nice venue inside for awards for pizza.
Nice yellow race shirt,
to match my yellow racing flats

And my unique age group prize:
a book by Jock Semple


No comments:

Post a Comment