Sunday, March 8, 2020

Weekly Log 2-Mar to 8-Mar-2020: Sickness

No coronavirus.  Not even the regular flu.  Just a plain old common cold, but enough achiness and congestion to really bring down my running week.

Monday:  0
Not only my regular day off, but actually took a rare sick day.  Just the common cold, but I stayed home to avoid infecting coworkers, and I needed the rest.

Tuesday:  8
Jana was working this afternoon and evening, so I figured I'd stop at home after work to pick up Brady for a run (instead of him spending quite a few hours alone at home).  I opened the door to find him content on his perch on Jana's recliner, but he did run to come see me and I think we both enjoyed the run.

All trails, including Vin Gormley from Kings Factory, single-track down to North Camp (where Brady in for a swim!), Lenny Lane, and back on Sammy C's.  On the latter, we had a good two miles to go when it suddenly got rather dark and the skies opened up.  It was a bit of a challenge for the footing as it got darker, but it was all good.

Wednesday:  6
Zero motivation today.  Other than the wind, really nice day out with temps in late afternoon high 40s and sunny.  I did run six miles at Avondale, but just felt I was going through the motions and my form was also off.  So, what gives?  Yes, I'm still battling my stubborn cold, but I feel like that's an easy excuse.  Disappointing.

Thursday:  4
Achy, and blowing snot pretty much the whole run.  I need to shake this cold.  Trail run with Brady on a loop from Fallon Drive through Wahaneeta and Woody Hill.  Thought about going for a later double, but really I'm just run down.

In Wahaneeta, I ducked into a latrine to take care of business, and was surprised by Brady's reaction.  Usually, he's quiet for the whole run (doesn't bark or growl).  However, while I was inside, he had a low pitched whine and was scratching at the wood presumably trying to get in.  As soon as I came out, he jumped up to my chest as if he hadn't seen me in six months.  This canine experiment is pretty interesting, but I wish he could tell me what he is thinking.  Was he worried about me?  Did he not like that he couldn't see me?  Did he think I was abandoning him?

Friday:  8
Slow and easy shake-out late afternoon from the Y.  Thermometer said 46°, but it sure didn't feel like it.  Windy with a storm on the way.  Pace in high 7s.  Some minor cold remnants and pain on the bottom of foot, but otherwise fine.

Saturday:  5
Hare Hop.  Write-up forthcoming.

Sunday:  8
Planned out a 22-miler the night before.  Set the alarm for 6:30am, but just woke up so congested and achy that I bagged it.  I know, easy to find excuses.  Lost an hour already with the switch to Daylight Savings Time, and slept in.  Took Brady to the DuVal trail system in SK and just ran really easy.  Another run of blowing snot the whole time.  Just nice to be outside.
What's the white stuff?
After a pathetic "winter" thus far,
really nice to see even this little bit.


Oh, I had totally forgotten about this rule at DuVal.
On the plus side, you don't have muddy or frozen tire ruts here.

Really nice maps with "you are here" designations at many trail intersections.


Weekly mileage:  39.  Ouch.

Weekly synopsis:  As I led into with this blog post, not my usual self this week.  Had actually planned to run 70 miles!  Ha!  Not even close.  Oh well, life goes on.  No sense crying over spilled milk.  Let's get back out there next week.

Weekly highlight:  The Tuesday Burlingame run with Brady, even with the darkness and rain!

Weekly lowlight:  Yeah, obviously the low mileage and my cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment